News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why isnt anyone restoring custom vans?

Started by jeryst, February 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

Over the years, I've had a lot of vehicles. Back in the 70's, along with my muscle cars, I also had a dodge van with a custom paint job.

Used to go to "truck-ins" and "van-ins" all over the place. Had a great time.
Got drunk, stoned, screwed. Not necessarily in that order.

Everyone is restoring antique cars, muscle cars, classic trucks, even station wagons, so I
was just wondering why no one is reviving the old custom vans.

nvrbdn

they still are. van runs are still alive here. there are 8 events within a couple hours from st. louis area with nice custom vans.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PocketThunder

Quote from: jeryst on February 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PMwas just wondering why no one is reviving the old custom vans.

because the girls dont screw anymore so why put all that effort in just to get stoned and drunk when you can do that alone in the garage and avoid the DWI...   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

rp23g7

Are there really any of those vans left?  I havent seen any of those custom vans in years.

TruckDriver

I been trying to catch a pic of a '70s Ford van here in town that IS 1970s all the way. It looks really cool. I saw on Overhaulin' once, they did a guys '70s  Chevy custom van. They showed a place that specializes in '70s custon van stuff that you can buy from for your van. Wish I remembered the name. I always liked the true custom vans.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

nvrbdn

yep, they are still around, gateway vans, fastlane vans, vanatic's, high rollin vans just to name a few. they are in illinois, wisconsin, kansas city, mo. ohio indiana. we just quit going a couple years ago when we sold "comfortably numb" which was a long bed dodge done to pink floyd. mabey i can dig up some pic's but the custom vans are still out there. they have weekend shows throughout the summer months through the midwest.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Todd Wilson

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 26, 2011, 10:04:53 PM
Quote from: jeryst on February 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PMwas just wondering why no one is reviving the old custom vans.

because the girls dont screw anymore so why put all that effort in just to get stoned and drunk when you can do that alone in the garage and avoid the DWI...   :shruggy:

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

nvrbdn

type in HY_ROLLIN VANS in a web browser and check out their van site. that should lead you to plenty of van info.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Vainglory, Esq.

Quotewas just wondering why no one is reviving the old custom vans.

They sobered up.

Same reason why nobody listens to the Grateful Dead anymore.

Alaskan_TA

The custom van owners are all in jail now.

Exibit A for the court;

Ghoste

There is one left in our town called the "Cosmic Cruiser" with a chopped top and chain steering wheel.  It isn't so much restored as it is a "survivor".  Sort of a survivor anyway.  Kind of like the way one of those "Lord of the Rings" incense burners would survive if you kept it outside and still used it.

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ghoste

I'll have to run it down and take some, I've never wanted them before. :lol:

TK73

Always liked the custom vans...

Would love to see the Pink Floyd van too!!

Used to be a 4wd Ford in the early 80's  back where i grew up called "Quad-Z-Modo"

TruckDriver

I think the older 4x4 vans are badass!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Topher

2 that come to mind from my childhood: A dodge van done in a Star Wars theme with the pic from the poster with Skywalker holding his light saber in the air glowing with Princess Lea at his feet. The other was a GMC that almost looked like the A Team van, in gray and red stipes, that had one wicked ass 350 in it. There was a display at the last Auto Fair in Carlotte that had 8 or so custom vans. A couple of the Dodge vans had Magnum style grilles in them.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Piston_Freddy

Max rim size:15"

The70RT

I been restoring this one for a long time. After The Chargers done I am gonna complete it.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jeryst

I was just wondering, because I havent seen one around this part of the country for 20 years.

TK73

This one is around W. WA somewhere... saw it at a rod show last year in Tacoma

TK73

nvrbdn

i went through a bunch of pic's, but i figured the van pic's are in the garage, so i will get them later. 70R/T thats a cool body style to restore.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

The70RT

Quote from: nvrbdn on February 27, 2011, 02:47:32 PM
i went through a bunch of pic's, but i figured the van pic's are in the garage, so i will get them later. 70R/T thats a cool body style to restore.

Thanks, the top is fiberglass and had some small cracks. I had it coated with rhino lining (white) about 7 years ago. I put in some high back seats out of a Caravan. Most of the bodywork is done and I plan on getting it painted and gutting the inside and do my own custom cabnets.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jb666

I have a buddy selling a '70 Dodge Van (bubble top and all!) with a 392 Stroker... COOL old van...  I'll try to grab some pictures of it.. totally retro though.

Found one shot...

Make that two...

bull

Quote from: Topher on February 27, 2011, 12:54:02 PM
2 that come to mind from my childhood: A dodge van done in a Star Wars theme with the pic from the poster with Skywalker holding his light saber in the air glowing with Princess Lea at his feet.

I totally remember those Star Wars air brush jobs on the sides of vans back in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid, mostly in California when we took trips to visit family.