News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil sending unit 80 psi part number

Started by autodynamics, February 28, 2011, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autodynamics

i have swapped a few already but my gauge reads incorrect with them . my original one showed higher pressure. i believe it was a 80psi unit....the old one has no markings on it.....so anyone have the correct part number?

bull

Back N Black

I have the same problem, third one installed and reading low. I have a mechanical hooked just to be on the safe side. :popcrn:

Just 6T9 CHGR

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PS59 is the one I used
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

autodynamics

i put in the ps59 i think its a 100psi  one they make 80 also....which would calibrate the gauge correctly

terrible one

Quote from: bull on February 28, 2011, 07:11:57 PM
I just bought this one yesterday: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Oil-Pressure-Switch/_/N-8znc6?filterByKeyWord=ps32&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true

I hope it works but I don't see where it states the psi rating.

I got the same one (at least it was from Autozone and looks just like that). I'd say that along with lilwendal's gauge rebuild treatment it reads within 5 or so psi of what my new mechanical gauge was reading when I was doing engine break in  :2thumbs:

Purple68

I went through this last summer. I figured my SMP one was reading low so I ordered one from Napa. It had 90 psi stamped on it, I installed it and it showed an extra 10-15 lbs more than the SMP. Soon after I read about Bill Rolik having the correct 80 psi senders so I ordered one. Well it showed less pressure than the 90 psi from Napa, so this spring I'm gonna just put the Napa one back in.

WHITE AND RED 69

I'm in the same boat as well. The standard PS59, and the ones yearone sells is a 90psi unit. How far off will these make the gauge read?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bull

Quote from: Purple68 on February 28, 2011, 10:44:35 PM
I went through this last summer. I figured my SMP one was reading low so I ordered one from Napa. It had 90 psi stamped on it, I installed it and it showed an extra 10-15 lbs more than the SMP. Soon after I read about Bill Rolik having the correct 80 psi senders so I ordered one. Well it showed less pressure than the 90 psi from Napa, so this spring I'm gonna just put the Napa one back in.

How did you determine that your SMP sender was reading low? And how did you determine that your Napa gauge was reading right?

bull

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 01, 2011, 12:40:09 AM
I'm in the same boat as well. The standard PS59, and the ones yearone sells is a 90psi unit. How far off will these make the gauge read?

Well, Corellian Corvette did the math in another thread almost exactly two years ago for a 100 psi sender so it might give you some idea. I'm too lazy to check his work at this hour so I'll leave that to you.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52221.25.html

But this assumes these senders work in equal steps to their top end. In other words, we're assuming that since some of these senders read up to 90 or 100 psi that each step to arrive at that destination must be larger than those to get to 80. It actually depends on the resistance inside the sender, not the top end they are capable of reading. So I believe they should be thought of as speedometers. One speedo goes up to 80, another to 100, they should both read correctly at 55 based on the input they receive.

Dans 68

I found that my idle pressure reading from a mechanical gauge was around 60 psi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJ5dUuOgpE

My oil sender unit shows about a 70 psi reading. I obtained this gauge from Pep Boys after the old one (came with the car) read high. Oh well...someday I hope to find one that reads correctly.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Purple68

Quote from: bull on March 04, 2011, 01:55:46 AM
Quote from: Purple68 on February 28, 2011, 10:44:35 PM

How did you determine that your SMP sender was reading low? And how did you determine that your Napa gauge was reading right?

I have not confirmed which one is the closest to being correct yet. I'm pointing out that the 3 new senders are all over the map considering what they were rated at and the results were not as expected when installed. ie: 80 psi read lower than 90 psi. I may check with a mechanical gauge in the spring. On that topic... how much do you need to spend to get an accurate mechanical gauge? No point in using any old mechanical as it may be less accurate than the electric, right?

Dans 68

Mechanical gauges are a lot more accurate than electrical. Do a (Google or other) search on mechanical versus electrical gauges to see the consensus.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259