News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front grill on '68 Charger

Started by Silver Charger, January 03, 2006, 08:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Charger

Need some help regarding the grill on the '68 Charger.  Were the leading edges of the grill ever painted?  I've seen some pics where the leading edge of the grill were painted silver or gray.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott B.
1968 Charger R/T 440

Troy

What do you mean by "leading edge"? There's stainless trim all the way around the edge on a 68. If you mean the vertical "fins" then yes, they were silver.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver Charger

Yes, I mean the vertical fins.  Leading edge was the best term I could think of.  thanks for the help.
Scott
1968 Charger R/T 440

Rolling_Thunder

yes - the vertical fins were painted argent silver....    only one their leading edges...    i like the blackout look better personally
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Silver R/T

i like blackout too, looks meaner with all black grille and just emblem on it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

I have talked to a few people who thought the ribs on the grilles were never painted silver
or in the surrounding shell inside. It depends on how the car is driven and conditions. I have seen
a few myself that had very little silver left, there is a big difference between silver and all blacked
out, but for show I prefer silver.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

DFS68_Charger

My 68 was a low mileage (36,000) when purchased in 1989.  The vertical fins of the grille were definately Argent Silver in color on mine. I also agree with Dan, I prefer the Silver over the Black-out look for show.

DFS

GTX

I was going to try to repaint mine but can't think of a very good way to do it aside from a small brush and lots of patience.

Ideas?

Troy

Quote from: GTX on January 04, 2006, 11:24:30 PM
I was going to try to repaint mine but can't think of a very good way to do it aside from a small brush and lots of patience.

Ideas?
Paint it silver first then mask off the very front of the fins with fine tape before painting the black.

OR....

As was pointed out to me by someone lazier (and faster), use a hard rubber roller to apply the paint and it will only touch the very front edge. Probably saves about 10 hours of masking... :D

Troy

8WHEELER

I have used a silver paint pen that has a chisel tip, they are used for models. Looks real good
and works best with two coats.

Dan

4402tuff4u

I used 3M tape 3/32" thick and it worked pretty good. Time consuming and you have to take you time.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Troy on January 04, 2006, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: GTX on January 04, 2006, 11:24:30 PM

Ideas?
Paint it silver first then mask off the very front of the fins with fine tape before painting the black.

OR....

As was pointed out to me by someone lazier (and faster), use a hard rubber roller to apply the paint and it will only touch the very front edge. Probably saves about 10 hours of masking... :D

Troy

I don't think I would paint the black, that's not really painted, is it?  Just a molded black plastic, right?

The silver Sharpie sounds good to me.....

Troy

Yes, you paint the black if you want it to look consistent (plastic is hardly ever perfect or an even color). If you had to repair any cracks or sand any part of the grill then they'll be obvious unless it's painted. It's satin or semi-gloss black and you can buy it from Totally Auto, All Trim (I think), and a few other places. I guess you really don't have to but it's your car so do whatever looks good in your eyes.

Troy

bull

Does anyone have a picture of this? Are we talking about just the very front edge of the entire plastic grill section?

Doc74

Quote from: bull on January 06, 2006, 05:42:36 AM
Does anyone have a picture of this? Are we talking about just the very front edge of the entire plastic grill section?

Yes only the thin edges, my 68 had remnants of it too.

No it's not this one, just an example.

bull

Quote from: Doc74 on January 06, 2006, 12:00:07 PM

Well, you learn something new everyday. I like the looks of it.

Troy

Gotta dig out some pics...

FYI: that isn't Doc74's car.

Troy

8WHEELER

If that was not enough, some Hemi cars to......  ;D

Dan

bull

Thanks. I guess it really never dawned on me that those edges were painted silver. I knew the surround was but i don't recall noticing the fins at car shows.

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on January 06, 2006, 01:56:46 PM
Quote from: Doc74 on January 06, 2006, 12:00:07 PM

Well, you learn something new everyday. I like the looks of it. BTW, what size tires do you have on the front of that thing? Might as well give me the back size too, if you don't mind. ;)

Ya what size?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

HeavyFuel

Here is a close up of mine, as it survives from the factory.

HeavyFuel

Sorry, this is a more manageable size.

bull

I don't know why but the grilles on '68s never look right on my computer screen. It must be the resolution or something but they always look criss-crossed. Thanks for the pics all.