News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much value can I expect to lose by not going with the original color?

Started by bull, January 11, 2006, 03:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I don't really care but there's this guy at work who's adamant about me painting my car back to its original TT-1 green, although I'm pretty set on black. My car is a 1 of 74 2bbl/383/4spd with no vinyl top and a black interior. I'm not too fond of green but I love black. Anyway, I've heard the number 10% being thrown around in certain circles, as in you can count on a 10% loss in value by not going original. Still, it's a moot point because I don't plan on selling the car, I'm not restoring it for investment purposes and if I had a green Charger I'd still want a black Charger. But I just want to give this guy a number.

8WHEELER

This car was originally PP1 red, It does not seem to hurt the value very much that I can see.
It has the wrong seat covers, auto on column not as popular, chevy mirror, C-Pillar's are real bad looking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-DODGE-CHARGER-RT-R-T-1968-BLACK-ON-BLACK-AMAZING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQitemZ4602602587QQrdZ1

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Drop Top

Theres alot to consider in my opion. Like how well was everything done? Or how much you actually changed. Or dose your car have the right motor and tranny in it? If the origanl engine and trans is missing then your in a world of hurt anyway. Put a Hemi in it a dubble the value. I restored a 70 R/T Charger around 8 years ago. It was a numbers car and all there. It was Orange inside and out. The owner decided to go black inside and out. We also added a 6-Pack to it. It was an A/C car. I had to make it fit but it looked like it came that way from the factory. The owner sold the car last year for $35,000. He had about $15,000. in the car and drove it at least 3 times a week back and forth to work. So it alot depends on the buyer and how the car prsents itself. On the other hand. If that car was done correctly it probably would have brought more money. Especilly if he would have taken it to the Barrett auction. But at the time of the retoration the owner was never going to sell it.

I have to agree with Mike and say. Its your car, its your call. Bulid it to the best of your ability, the way your want it and have fun with the car. This is your hobbie. Your suposed to use it as a release of tention not add more stress to your life. To heck with the rest of the people. Its you that needs to be satisfied not them. Keep it that way.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 11, 2006, 05:19:32 AM
This car was originally PP1 red, It does not seem to hurt the value very much that I can see.
It has the wrong seat covers, auto on column not as popular, chevy mirror, C-Pillar's are real bad looking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-DODGE-CHARGER-RT-R-T-1968-BLACK-ON-BLACK-AMAZING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQitemZ4602602587QQrdZ1

Dan

I knew I'd seen that car on Ebay before:

Q: Do you know this same car and same pictures were used in a ebay scam last month???

A: Yes the scammer copied pics of my car.The car used last month also was mine, it was a black 383 ci with silver stripes . This is another car, that one used on ebay as a scam was sold early in 2004,I reported it to ebay . I am the real seller, thats why I encourage people to contact me trough ebay as a safety measure; look at my email and the ebay user Id. I can send you my phone number and you are welcomed to send an inspector to see the car. Thanks for your email , it will help other buyers to be aware of scammers. Rick

But I digress. Thanks for the input guys. Even if I did have to sell my car after it was finished I don't see myself taking it through a venue where it would be scrutinized to the point of it losing much value on the color. My coworker says since it's so rare I should restore it to factory specs, sell it and then buy a black one so that this one would be returned to original. That's not a horrible idea but I really don't like putting myself in the position of enslaving myself to restoration legalism, for lack of a better term. And I really don't like the thought of doing another Charger search for 1-2 yrs. I then told him that I wouldn't feel too bad about making a few changes and improvements during the restoration because it's better than letting the car sit outside, unrestored in the rain for six years like the last owner, who (by the way) also told me I should paint it back to its original color. I've always considered that ironic; the previous owner telling me how to restore the car after letting it sit outside for six years. The car came from the factory with a black interior so going black on the outside is not a stretch. If the car had a green interior I would not paint it black, however black on black looks pretty good IMHO.

Drop Top, I do have the original engine and trans. as far as I can tell. They didn't stamp the partial VINs on the 2bbl cars but my cast date is in the ballpark and the distributor stamp is correct. It's an Aug. 67 engine casting with 'D383' on the dist. pad in a Jan. 8, 68 car. That's about the best I can hope for. The only other things I plan on changing will be improvements such as disc brakes, poly bushings, X-pipe exhaust, Magnum 500s and maybe a Hurst linkage conversion for my Inland shifter. I will also be running a 4bbl but I have and will keep the original 2bbl intake as well as the original front drum brakes and any Inland parts I remove.

andy74

i wouldnt worry about it one bit,tell your co worker to go chevy himself.seems like everyone these days has an idea of old mopars being worth 2 gajillion dollars,build it how you want it,and when you get rid of her,it will be the next persons problem!

69pistolgripRT

I have $30,000 in my numbers matching '69 RT 4 speed. The car was originally white and is now curios yellow (a '71 only color).

My car is not restored as concourse w/correct marks but is a very high quality restoration.

I turned down $45,000 a year ago and $50,000 this year at the turkey rod run in Daytona.

Not painting the original color has brought my car more attention and quality is quality.
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

694spdRT

With all due repsect to the original green cars, it is not a top dollar color to start with IMO because the demand is less and they made more of them. In the high dollar Hemi car world it would be wise to go the original route for sure. I don't think that is the case with yours though. I agree it is a rare car and the 4 speed definately adds value. I do question whether it would bring any more than the same car in a 4bbl version though. The only real way to find out is sell it and see what the market says.

In reality, I think you will find more people questioning you painting an original black car to green vs an original green car to black. I would go black if you are not going to be happy with it green....you have a very nice car to start with and it makes little sense to sell it for that reason when people have done far worse to far rarer cars. Plus, imagine how you would feel if you sold it to someone and they did not paint it green.  ;) 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 11, 2006, 08:25:15 PM
With all due repsect to the original green cars, it is not a top dollar color to start with IMO because the demand is less and they made more of them. In the high dollar Hemi car world it would be wise to go the original route for sure. I don't think that is the case with yours though. I agree it is a rare car and the 4 speed definately adds value. I do question whether it would bring any more than the same car in a 4bbl version though. The only real way to find out is sell it and see what the market says.

In reality, I think you will find more people questioning you painting an original black car to green vs an original green car to black. I would go black if you are not going to be happy with it green....you have a very nice car to start with and it makes little sense to sell it for that reason when people have done far worse to far rarer cars. Plus, imagine how you would feel if you sold it to someone and they did not paint it green.  ;) 

Yup. It's not like it's a 4spd R/T. It is rare but it's not necessarily rare and desirable. I mean it is so the extent that it's a Charger and it's not a 318 auto and such but still, it isn't competing with the Hemis for value.

RTPTRON

Yup. It's not like it's a 4spd R/T. It is rare but it's not necessarily rare and desirable. I mean it is so the extent that it's a Charger and it's not a 318 auto and such but still, it isn't competing with the Hemis for value.

Yup. It is, however, your DREAM BLACK Charger waiting to happen.  I don't want to see a beautiful TT1 Charger at the Kent meet with it's owner, BULL, staring at the nearest BLACK Charger telling it's owner that he always wanted a BLACK Charger.

Tell the guy the story that starts out with "I always wanted a Black Charger" and he will understand, unless he happens to be a bean counter.

MyMopar

I am in the same boat 69 Charger 383 4 speed, orginal color is a pale yellow w/black vinyl roof.  I decided that there are otehr Chargers that will always be worth more than mine no matter what so I decided to go and do what I want to do.  I plan on going an orange/red color with black R/T stripes and black vinyl roof.  Interior is black so that will stay the same.  My only real dilema now is that I kind of want to go with the Alterkation front end conversion for better handling.

694spdRT

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2006, 03:45:45 AM

I actually think your car is rare and desirable. I just don't think the "rare" 383 2bbl will add much if any value over a similar 383 4bbl.  The 4 speed and a big block are the important points with your car IMO. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi