News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fully labeled 70 Charger rallye dash harness *CORRECTION*

Started by BananaDan, March 10, 2011, 10:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

Calling all electrical gurus, please check my last night's homework.  Using the reprint electrical diagram and the one on our registry site I attempted to label every connection on my new dash harness to make my install a little easier.  Did I get anything wrong?  I have a question mark on a few tags I was unsure of.

Thanks,
Dan

<EDIT>  
The black wire with white tracer near the fuse box I have labeled as reverse indicator is wrong.  That is the heater blower wire.  
</EDIT>
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Rest of pics.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Nacho-RT74

I have been down the dash of a 70 once, and analized 70 wiring diagrams couple of times... and as far I can tell everything is pretty much correctly labeled...

BUT what you have labeled as CONSOLE HARNESS... I would tell more dome light ( 3rd gens are same )

and what it says GLOVE BOX MAP LIGHT... I have my doubts... its one or another but not both. map light is switched by door swithes ground being yellow wire when comes from door, and glove box light is constant positive, should be pink.

the yellow source for IGN KEY LAMP, its actually for the time delay flasher what controls that, but not for the LIGHT itself
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BananaDan

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 12, 2011, 12:08:07 AM
I have been down the dash of a 70 once, and analized 70 wiring diagrams couple of times... and as far I can tell everything is pretty much correctly labeled...

BUT what you have labeled as CONSOLE HARNESS... I would tell more dome light ( 3rd gens are same )

and what it says GLOVE BOX MAP LIGHT... I have my doubts... its one or another but not both. map light is switched by door swithes ground being yellow wire when comes from door, and glove box light is constant positive, should be pink.

the yellow source for IGN KEY LAMP, its actually for the time delay flasher what controls that, but not for the LIGHT itself

Agree on the console label, I wrote that but I know the diagrams call it the dome light.  But, doesn't the domelight wire have a pigtail that the console harness taps off of or something like that?  There is nothing labeled as a tap-off point for the console harness, but I know for a fact that it plugs in behind the driver's side kick panel and the wire colors for it are identical to the dome light plug.

I had doubts about the glove box/map light plug but couldn't entirely tell what that was for.  It is right next to the fuse box though, so likely the glove box lamp.  Does anyone know how the map light, glove box light & ashtray light plug into the dash harness?  They were options so there has to be a method to install them somehow.

Dan

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BananaDan

Maybe I'm missing it, but the 69 diagram like the 70 diagram doesn't show the map light, glovebox light or the ashtray light.  There are references to an Accessory diagram on my diagram and the 69 diagram.  Does anyone have a copy of that?

Dan

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

glove box lamp m5a-18 pink on accessory circuit page 1969
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BananaDan

Where do I find this accessory wiring diagram?

Dan

nvrbdn

i have that diagram in my book. now that is for 69, because my book doesnt have 70. its the "Motors vacuum & wiring diagrams for passenger cars eighth edition"  i can see if i can get a pic or scan for you if i can get the daughter over here with her scanner device.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BananaDan

nvrbdn

gona be several pic's
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

let me know if they print out ok, or i can ask the daughter to come over and scan them. if they print out you might be able to overlay them. good luck. if amy comes over i will have her scan all the charger pages and send them to you.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Nacho-RT74

take in mind, SOME STUFF CHANGES between 69s and 70s. For example Back up light switch location being to earliers 69s located on shifter and laters on NSS like 70s did, and some other accesories being totally diff

a 69 could be used as reference in just SOME stuff
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

BananaDan

Thanks guys!  Much appreciated - understood, just as a reference, may not be 100% accurate for my 70.

Dan

nvrbdn

hey dan, how about i go out and look at my 70 to see what color i have :smilielol: duh
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nascarxx29

The pink wire on glove box light .I believe gets its power feed piggybacked on rear side of fuse box
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

70charginglizard

This will all be very helpful in lableing mne. Thanks for posting :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

BananaDan

I was able to piece together an A01 package for my 70.  I need help with one connection.  On this harness, which is the ignition light delay harness, what does the yellow wire with the black square plastic connector plug into?  There is no connection on my dash harness for it.  Maybe it's unused or for another application?

I know the male bullet connector goes into the dash harness, the white plastic connector goes to the ignition light in the steering column, and the pink wire goes to the fuse box.  I see no mention of this second yellow wire with the square black connector on my wiring diagrams, nor is there a connector for it that I can see.

Dan

Nacho-RT74

I think an splice to feed another door jam ground signal anywhere is required ( like map light ), when you are using the only provision on harness

BananaDan

I don't follow you Nacho.  I also have the map light harness, and all plugs are accounted for.  It has a male bullet connector that connects into the dash harness, the pink lead to the fuse box and three connections to go to the map light socket.  A post connector, a spade connector, and the actual light bulb socket.

Dan

nvrbdn

dan, the yellow m2e 18y to right door light switch, the black elbow to the map light switch, light socket is map light and connects at the same place as the glove box light.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

the eighth picture wiring diagram down top right shows these wires that i believe you are showing with the pink running to the light yellow to the switch , other yellow from the switch to right door switch then continuing to the instrument panel main harness.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BananaDan

Here is a picture of the A01 harnesses (except for the glovebox lamp and ashtray lamp which are self explanatory).  I have labeled what I know, and have the one unknown connector question.

Dan

BananaDan

Here's a theory.  Since they changed the ignition switch style in 1970 and moved it to the column, is it possible that my ignition delay harness was also used as a superseding part to 68 and 69's?  Take a look at this 69 ignition delay harness.  You can see the 68-69 style ignition lamp (square bracket with round hole) has a spade connector on it, and its yellow lead runs to the same source as the yellow lead that has the white plastic barrel connector for the 70 style ignition lamp.  Could that be possible, thereby meaning that the 70 harness can work for both implementations and I just don't use the extra connector?

Dan

nvrbdn

that wire doesnt exist in my book that goes to 69, so im thinking that it could be as you say. it is definately an after 69 accessory wire.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Nacho-RT74

the wire what feeds the bulb is the one with BLACK plug. If you note and unless my eyes and the pic angle are cheating me, the extra wire is spliced into the same wire what plugs to the door source at harness, SO that white plug is driving door ground signal, and not a positive output.

MY THEORY is the extra wire to to feed or give door ground signal whoever will need it, becoming on an splice from the original location on underdash harness for it. This could happen on a FULLY ACCESORIES equipped car, when original sources on underdash harness are not enough.

One example based on my 3rd gen experience:

the 73/74 Chargers just have 3 accesories locations on underdash harness acc feed. If I fit the AC clutch, rear deffog and electric trunk lid latch, I will be full and I can't feed from there the Cruise control. HOWEVER on a Cruise control harness I got, it has an splice to feed from there another accesory on the wire what pluugs ond acc source. So I will have to plug on the underdash harness the cruise control, the rear deffog and AC clutch, and from Cruise control acc source splice, the electric trunk lid latch

BananaDan

On a 68/69, the black plug is the feed for the ignition lamp bulb, correct.  But not on a 70.  On a 70, the white barrel connector is the feed wire for the ignition lamp bulb because the wire coming out of the column for the lamp has the same female version white barrel connector.  The black plug does come from the same feed area on the main plug, which is why I think the 70 harness might also be able to work on a 68/69 to feed the different style ignition lamp bulb which uses that type of connector.  So I'm thinking I don't plug anything into the black plug.  It's either redundant to serve for 68/69's as a new replacement harness from their harness, or it's for additional accessories that I don't have, A/C or cruise control like you said.

Dan

Nacho-RT74

well as I said, is hard to tell by the pic because the wires are crossing over on it ;)

( the cruise control deal was just an example about a harness getting an splice on it ;) )

but as far the door ground wire and the wire to bulb are not spliced into the same plug cavity, everything will work correctly.

editing:
NOW I REMEMBER... on 71s the SEATBELT LIGHT is also delay time flasher controled. Are 70s available with seatbelt light option ? maybe thats for the seatbelt light IF EQUIPPED. I know 70s E bodies did.

BananaDan

That's possible, I know there is a reverse light option for 4-speeds.  And I just checked, there is. L73 - Seatbelts Unfastened Lamp.  http://1970chargerregistry.com/Production/RT_Codes.html  Whatever the possibility, I think we have sufficient evidence to show that I just don't use that connector and leave it unoccupied and I'll be ok.  BTW, I know there are a lot of connections for option light harnesses to the door switches for grounds and such, but the dash harness covers that IRL.  The two female bullet plugs on the dash harness (one for the maplight harness, and one for the ignition lamp delay harness) both have two wires going into it from the dash harness.  Those extra wires run to the door switches, so I don't have to worry about that connection, it's handled by the dash harness.

Dan

BananaDan

For the archives...

I labeled the wires I had to connect, everything else you see is how the fuse box came new.

BananaDan

Quote from: BananaDan on April 24, 2011, 07:44:55 PM
Here's a theory.  Since they changed the ignition switch style in 1970 and moved it to the column, is it possible that my ignition delay harness was also used as a superseding part to 68 and 69's?  Take a look at this 69 ignition delay harness.  You can see the 68-69 style ignition lamp (square bracket with round hole) has a spade connector on it, and its yellow lead runs to the same source as the yellow lead that has the white plastic barrel connector for the 70 style ignition lamp.  Could that be possible, thereby meaning that the 70 harness can work for both implementations and I just don't use the extra connector?

Dan

I confirmed with someone that has multiple A01 B-Body cars, and this extra connector on the ignition delay light harness is unused for an unknown option.  

nvrbdn

great, at least we know now. thanks for the pic too :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BananaDan

Correction made regarding the heater blower wire.  See the first message in the thread.

70charginglizard

You guys know if anyone sells the A01 harness new? :scratchchin:
70charginglizard

BananaDan

Not that I was able to find.  I asked Bill Evans and he doesn't.

70charginglizard

Bummer...u know what they say about weak links....
:-\
70charginglizard

BananaDan

Yeah, but most of those lights aren't used often.  Just make sure you find nice sets.  If you're able to wire yourself, you could get the A01 sets and replace the wires yourself probably.

70gtx440dana

Update 11/27/18: The unknown wire with spade connection on the A01 harness is for the "seat belt" warning lamp on front of dash for cars equipped with deluxe seat belt package.

Thanks for your very useful post. Much appreciated information.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

AKcharger

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House