News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'66 Charger New Interior Thread

Started by bobs66440, March 11, 2011, 06:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

I started re-covering the seats and it went surprisingly well. I began with the rears as I think they are the easiest and good to learn on. Most of the time was spent slowly taking them apart and learning how they are put together.

Once I figured it out it went pretty fast. The only real issue I had was on the seat backs. The fit was really tight in one spot and the seam began to tear as I was stretching it over. I tried applying some heat to the area but it didn't really help. I think the covers were stitched just a tad too small. Fortunately it's hidden so it doesn't matter. Otherwise I think the fit is excellent.

One major help was that the foam on the bottoms and the cloth for the backs were in near pristine condition, so all I had to do was put the covers on and I was done. I won't get that lucky with the front seats. Those I will tackle today.

Also, a tip I learned was to put a trash bag over the foam before the cover so it slides on easy. That was a huge help!

bobs66440

More

67440chrg

Your interior is looking great. When I get all my mechanical bugs worked out I am going to start saving for carpet and seat covers. As good as yours is looking it is going to inspire me to buckle down and save.

bobs66440

bobs66440

I started to do the front seats. First I took one of the bottoms apart...easy enough.

Then I prepared the new foam for the fabric strips inside the cover that have to be pulled down and hog-ringed to the springs, creating the contours...easy enough.

Then I installed the new burlap on the frame...easy enough.

Then I began installing the new foam and cover on the frame...that's precisely when the whole thing went horribly wrong. No amount of pulling, squeezing, twisting, yanking, stretching, cursing or swearing would get this thing on there. I wrestled with it for about an hour with nothing to show for it except a bunch of cuts and puncture wounds...and blood. I used the methods suggested by others that have done it before, but no luck. Took a break, came back at it and it just kicked my a** again.

There has got to be a trick to this that I am missing. The whole problem is getting those fabric strips pulled to the springs. There is just no way I can see to do it.

So I loaded the remaining seat into the back of my truck and drove it to the interior shop in town for an estimate. Expecting a crazy number, he said "$250.00 for both seats." SOLD! So I drove back home, loaded everything and brought it back to him. He said it will be about a week.

It really upsets me that I failed at the very end of this project as I was determined to do the whole thing myself. But I know when I'm licked and I'll let a pro fight this battle. In the meantime I will install the rear seats and repaint & carpet the front seat panels.

Big Sugar

LOL Bob I can feel your pain, I had mine sent out as well, Did you try laying them out in the sun ?

Oh yeah....What flippin Sun

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

moparheater

Looking good! Wish I had some after pictures, got plenty of before pictures!

67440chrg

Dont feel bad I have heard the reason the pros take several days every time is that they stretch the covers. $250.00 sounds like a fair deal to me. Keep up the good work.

bobs66440

Thanks guys!  :cheers:

I got the rear seats installed and it went a lot easier than I thought it would. I also started the engine and ran it for a while (first time in months). The oil is really dirty so an oil change is in order.

I am hopefully getting the front seats back from the trim shop this week so it should be ready to go in a couple of weeks!

bobs66440

I finally got the seats back from the trim shop and they look GREAT! :2thumbs:

I will try to get them installed tomorrow and post some pics when it's all done.

A383Wing

it's tomorrow somewhere...get off the 'puter, and yer ass...and get busy....we ain't getting any younger waitin' around for you

done yet??

bobs66440

The interior is finally done, with the exception of the diver's door panel. Here are some shots while I had it outside washing it for the first time of the season. Hoping to go on our weekly cruise tomorrow if the weather cooperates!

All I can say is wow that's a cool interior. Well though out design and quite functional but expensive to restore I bet.

A question or two - How well did the Herbs paint match the original and how's it holding up so far? I know you don't have much time on it but please do let us know.

bobs66440

Quote from: 440 on April 09, 2011, 11:17:16 AM
All I can say is wow that's a cool interior. Well though out design and quite functional but expensive to restore I bet.

A question or two - How well did the Herbs paint match the original and how's it holding up so far? I know you don't have much time on it but please do let us know.
Thanks for the comments! I LOVE this interior...it's my favorite part of the car. But yes, VERY expensive to restore if you are missing pieces. The Herb's paint is a near exact match to what was original (in this car anyway). The only thing is that it took a lot more coats to cover than I expected (when painting over darker colors) so I had to order more cans to finish. I used about 7 cans total. As you mentioned, I don't have much time with it so it's hard to comment on the durability, but if there are any issues I will post them up.

67440chrg

Oh Man! It looks great! Everything turned out perfect.Now that you are up on 1st gen interiors come on over and we will do mine next. You do work for beer & food right?  Mine is not a total wreck but someone in the past had died the seats from white to black. It came with black interior but it must have ben changed and died so I put armerall on them and the die started comeing off.

bobs66440

Hi, thanks!  :cheers:

Sure, drive it by, I'll help you!  :2thumbs:

Probably the best thing to do with the seats is to strip the dye off with lacquer thinner or acetone. Mineral spirits may also work. Test a small area out of sight before doing it to make sure you don't ruin the vinyl. Then use a good quality dye to re-color them.

I just noticed something. Whats with the belt between the rear arm rest and window crank? 

A383Wing

Quote from: 440 on April 13, 2011, 08:37:23 PM
I just noticed something. Whats with the belt between the rear arm rest and window crank? 

shoulder belt assembly for the front seat driver & passenger

Am I missing something? It seems to be at an unusual height

bobs66440

I retrofitted aftermarket 3-point harnesses in this car, as I have in others, and that was what I felt was the best location based on the available space on the inner panel to locate the plate for the pivot. It is lower than optimal (it should be at approx shoulder height or just above) but it lays well across my chest and is very comfortable.

Here's the thread I posted on the 66-67 Charger site that illustrates the install if you want more info

http://66-67charger.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=104366&page=1

Paul G

You did a fantastic job! It just amazes me how regular guys can do proffesional looking work, or even better. I have seen work people paid good money for that doesnt look this good.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

bobs66440