News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger - Long Awaited Update...

Started by 72Charger-SE, March 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Thanks for the information.  I considered this however I don't have a floor jack capable of safely lifting the car to the necessary height so I can safely drop the motor down.  I wasn't sure how to do this in a 'safe' manner so I decided the best way was probably the 'old' way (over the top).  I do like the 'under option better than the over if I could get it to work 'safely'.   Thanks.

72Charger-SE

Finally we were able to get the motor and tranny pulled!  It took two hydraulic cylinders (failed) and one 'old reliable' engine hoist!  Here are a few pics.  The plan is to put the rear end, leafs, tires, and running gear on the car so I can push it outside.  Once outside degrease the engine compartment along with the undercarriage.  Then our neighbor Dave will bring over a sandblaster (all I have to do is purchase the silica sand $ and large tarp) and we can work to remove the many years of paint and uncover the hidden bad spots (which i am sure there will be some)....  We're making PROGRESS!

Charger-Bodie

Getting closer Chad!! Did you say what the paint plans are for the car?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

72Charger-SE

Paint plans... so far...  off-white or cream(ish) exterior with burnt orange ralley stripes on the hood and trunk lid.  The interior will be the same off-white cream(ish) color as well accented with burnt orange.  Not sure on the carpet colors yet...  

greenpigs

Sounds cool & different, can't wait too see it done!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

72Charger-SE

Well I took a few days off and there hasn't been much progress since the last posting.  I made it out to the garage last night for about two hours and was able to get the rear end put back together using grey RTV as my sealant for both the axles and the pig.  I hope to get the new brakes and studs on both sides later this week.  If all goes well I may get the rear end remounted with the new leaf springs by the end of the week.  Once this is accomplished (and the freshly fallen snow melts) I plan to roll it outside and power wash the engine compartment and prep it for sand blasting...  We'll see....

chargd72

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

72Charger-SE

Well it has been awhile since I last posted so here are a few updates...  Moved the car outside after finishing up the rear end and mounting new leafs and 8.75 3.55 gears sure grip 491.  I power washed the engine compartment and was pleasantly surprised to find that the red clay and oil muck solution has pretty much preserved the K-Member along with all the front end components.  Thanks Red Clay & Oil Leaks!  I then moved the car back into the garage an placed it on four wheel dollies.  Last night I started removing the bumper, front valance and fenders.  I ran into some issues with the fenders as someone used a jack of some type and bent the metal holding the fenders just in front of the door jamb.  Not sure how to get that straightened as it is thick metal and there is not alot of room to work?  Anyway I am slowing progressing but as I like to say...  ANY forward progress is better than no progress at all!  Here's a few pics..

72Charger-SE

I continued 'tearing' down in preparation for sand blasting the engine compartment and frame rails this upcoming weekend.  Here is what she looks like now...

72Charger-SE

72Charger-SE

As she sits right now...  need to remove the windshield and dash prior to sand blasting this weekend.

72Charger-SE

More progress this evening.  After getting the boat cleaned up, vacuuming out all the leaves from the fall and rehooking up the battery I decided to work on the car.  I pulled the heads and intake this evening.  I am not sure exactly what I found since I am new at this but an interesting find was on the driver's side of the block where only six push rods were located???  Not sure why?  I turned the crank with a ratchet and was able to move all the pistons, lifters and cam?  Anyway, here are some pics of the progress tonight.  Can anyone tell me what heads these are?  They have a Chrysler stamp 361824 1090 or at least that is what I think it says on the bottom side of the heads.   

72Charger-SE

72Charger-SE

Long time since my last update.  Life has been busy with the recent startup of our Kleve RV Rental business as well as purchasing a vinyl lettering business.  Tonight I was finally able to remove the windshield, dash & entire wiring harness.  Here are a couple pics...

72Charger-SE

Well, it has been quite a while since I made any updates.  Here are a few pics of the 1967 440ci power plant I am building.

1967 440 Block
Forged Crank
Stock 9:1 Pistons
Comp 280H Cam & Hydraulic Lifters
Torker II Aluminum Intake
Holley 4 Barrel Carb
906 Heads - Ported

New cam, crank, & main bearings as well as front and rear seals, and re-ringed the pistons with Moly rings.
Hoping to see 400HP or so out of this...

72Charger-SE

Soda Blasting...  Before and After Pics -

Many THANKS to Scott @ XCeed Soda Blasting (Mobile Unit)

I am THRILLED!

72Charger-SE

More Pics of the Soda Blasting...

http://www.xceedsodablast.com

Thanks Scott!

greenpigs

No guessing what ya got any more after that.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

72Charger-SE

Exactly.  I am much more confident I will get this car back on the road in the timeframe I set for myself knowing exactly what to tackle.  The front frame rail on the driver's side has some holes from rust but is still very solid.  I will weld a piece of steel on it for support.  That soda blasting is truly amazing.  I am taking the car to my father-in-laws this Thurs or Fri to use his paint booth and apply a coat of primer after some recommendations from persons who have been down this road before.

LORD willing I will have it back in a week or so all primed and ready for body work. 

mopar73

Great job!!  Keep up the good work :cheers:

72Charger-SE

Does anyone know if I can just remove the side window add-ins, extend the moulding and install R/T windows?  I prefer the R/T look... and since this is not even close to original what the heck...  is this doable?

72Charger-SE

Here is my first attempt at 'repairing' and 'welding'.

Not too good but everyone has to start somewhere.  The goal of covering the rust holes is accomplished so I am pleased.

The first picture is the before view...  the last picture is the view from inside the rear fender well.  No more light can be seen!  Praise the LORD!

DREDILSKI

Nice thread and great info. I started tearing down my 73 and with the many jewels I found here I plan on doing a lot of things myself. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming.  :2thumbs:
:popcrn:

DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

bobs66440

Nice project  :2thumbs:

FWIW It looks like you have the welder heat set too cold. Also, is that flux core wire you are using instead of gas? If so, using gas works worlds better and produces much better welds.

72Charger-SE

Bobbs66440...

Interesting comments.  I have actually been watching YouTube welding videos most of the evening in an effort to figure out what I am doing wrong.  I appreciate your comments and have started looking into adding some argon gas to my welding setup.  It seems it is quite expensive however without it I think I will ruin more sheet metal than it will cost to have the gas add-on. 

My first weld...  pretty sad, huh?  LOL!  Well, at 41 I am not going to get any younger...  hopefully better at welding though!  Thanks!