News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger - Long Awaited Update...

Started by 72Charger-SE, March 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 14, 2015, 06:53:01 PM
I am wondering what the plywood is for on the lower 4 foot of the walls? Hope it wasn't covered already, but didn't see as I scrolled back. Love the garage, especially the height. :2thumbs:

The plywoood (osb) is for damage protection.  My wife was worried that I would put holes in the drywall in the first four feet (wise woman) so she recommended we use osb for the first four feet of the walls instead.  

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

72Charger-SE

Paint color - theme is Route 66 (we took a trip down Route 66 last year and fell in love with the theme). 

nvrbdn

really like all the receptacles. color looks great.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

72Charger-SE

Tonight after work I spent two hours unloading and partially organizing my enclosed trailer of all car parts.  I plan to pickup my car on Thanksgiving Day as I will be in the area where it is and bring it back home.  Once it is home the trailer is for sale as I won't need it anymore.

Trailer for Sale: http://waterloo.craigslist.org/for/5329705998.html

72Charger-SE

The last time I saw my car was January 20, 2015 when Alex picked it up and took it to his shop for body work and paint, 311 days ago.  Tomorrow I am taking my truck and trailer for the last time (I sold the trailer to a guy who picks it up on Friday) to get my car. 

At 10:00a tomorrow (Thanksgiving Day) I will see my car in paint or the first time.  Alex will hold onto the fenders, hood, and decklid till the car is put together to avoid damaging or scratching the finish.  Additionally, the body of the car will be finished last to avoid damaging any paint work.  The car is currently stored at a location that is 10 minutes from our Thanksgiving destination at my sister-in-laws. I am VERY EXCITED!!

Praise the LORD my car is coming HOME!

72Charger-SE

Today I picked up my car so I could continue with the restoration.  Here's a couple photos of the car loaded, in the garage, and after the old, rotted out tires were swapped with the wheels I painted several months ago and new Cooper Cobra tires. 

72Charger-SE

More photos...  getting ready to unload the car in the garage...

72Charger-SE

More photos...

72Charger-SE

Last couple for now...

myk

NICE.  Happy day for you, for sure...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Charger-Bodie

It's moving along Chad! Looking forward to progress pics. I don't have a project this winter . I'm a little stir crazy already. Love the paint color and the wheels are pretty cool too!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

72Charger-SE

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 27, 2015, 09:46:33 AM
It's moving along Chad! Looking forward to progress pics. I don't have a project this winter . I'm a little stir crazy already. Love the paint color and the wheels are pretty cool too!

You don't have a Winter project hmmmmm...   I know someone who could use some personal (in person) guidance and 'wisdom' from a seasoned veteran of MOPAR Restorations!  :)

VegasCharger

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on November 27, 2015, 07:26:47 PM

You don't have a Winter project hmmmmm...   I know someone who could use some personal (in person) guidance and 'wisdom' from a seasoned veteran of MOPAR Restorations!  :)

If you were a lot close( in Waukon) I'd probably do that, but as time goes by the less I like sitting in a car for a couple hours unless it's in a hot rod .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

72Charger-SE

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 28, 2015, 09:47:02 AM
Quote from: 72Charger-SE on November 27, 2015, 07:26:47 PM

If you were a lot close( in Waukon) I'd probably do that, but as time goes by the less I like sitting in a car for a couple hours unless it's in a hot rod .

I understand.  No problem.  The offer is a 'standing offer' so if you get 'too stir crazy' this winter and have to get out of the house give me a ring!  :)   It might be nice for you to not have a project for a bit after the last one you pulled off in less than 30 days from start to finish.  I am still in awe when I look back at your Green Hemi restoration.  So impressive!

72Charger-SE

I was able to source a set of  bucket seats from a wrecked 2010 Chrysler Sebring.  As I am working on designing the mounting brackets I put the steering column in temporarily to get the right distance for mounting the seats.  I must say that I really like the lumbar support and recline option that these seats offer.

I have several yards of grey leather to reupholster the seats when we get to that point.

ACUDANUT

Did you know that if you installed Tyvek upside down or facing inside it won't work. lol

72Charger-SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 14, 2016, 04:22:31 AM
Did you know that if you installed Tyvek upside down or facing inside it won't work. lol

Yes...  LOL... instead of cutting it on the I decided to wrap it around the inside of the LVL header.  Nice catch...  :)  It has since been covered with drywall.

72Charger-SE

It's been quite awhile since I worked on the car.  I spent the past two days with some much needed garage time.

I mounted the transmission, mounted and aligned the shift points for the B&M Shifter.  I replaced the U-Joints in the drive shaft and connected the transmission to the differential for the first time in five (almost six) years.  I then tackled the next phase of the quarter panel replacement by mounting, aligning, fitting, and riveting the quarter panel in place.  The panel took the entire day to finish to this point.  More progress hopefully in the next couple of weeks. 

72Charger-SE

Quarter panel work...

Charger-Bodie

Daytona R/T SE

'71 Quarter panel on a '72 ?  :scratchchin:

Are you planning on changing the front marker lights to match?

71_Charger_R/T

Good to see you back on it!  Make sure to melt that lead off the roof skin at the seam point or you will have a beggar of a time welding the seam.   :Twocents: