News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger - Long Awaited Update...

Started by 72Charger-SE, March 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 31, 2016, 09:18:02 AM
'71 Quarter panel on a '72 ?  :scratchchin:

Are you planning on changing the front marker lights to match?

I am blocking out the marker lights on all corners. Also, I was only able to get a 71 quarter from AMD.  I waited six plus months as they had to run a mold when demand was high enough. A 72 quarter I would probably still be waiting for.

72Charger-SE

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on December 31, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
Good to see you back on it!  Make sure to melt that lead off the roof skin at the seam point or you will have a beggar of a time welding the seam.   :Twocents:

Thanks for the heads up.  Just use a torch and melt it off??  I am not sure of the best way to remove the lead. 

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on December 31, 2016, 11:33:23 AM

I am blocking out the market lights on all corners. Also, I was only able to get a 71 quarter from AMD.  I waited six plus months as they had to run a mold when demand was high enough. A 72 quarter I would probably still be waiting for.

:2thumbs:

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on December 31, 2016, 11:34:45 AM
Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on December 31, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
Good to see you back on it!  Make sure to melt that lead off the roof skin at the seam point or you will have a beggar of a time welding the seam.   :Twocents:

Thanks for the heads up.  Just use a torch and melt it off??  I am not sure of the best way to remove the lead. 

Yes, A propane torch is sufficient (you don't want excessive heat that will warp things) along with a wire brush to whisk away the lead while its hot.

72Charger-SE

I didn't like the look of the shift selector on top of the column so I cut it off with a band saw, ground it down, sanded it and used filler to finish up the column.  I decided to keep the 'column shifter mounting bracket' to eventually mount my tach.  I like the new look and paint color (it was green as you can see in the photo).  I keep thinking I should 'move faster' on my car but I really enjoy the detail work such as this.  Sadly the detail work took me several days to complete.  The steering wheel is painted black and once I get a new 'blinker' arm with cruise control I will mount is and complete this item on the car.

72Charger-SE

Out with the old radiator and in with the new aluminum four core.

ACUDANUT

72Charger-SE

Just under four years ago the motor project was started.  Today the circle was completed and the 440 is back home again.  Praise the LORD!

72Charger-SE

Motor is in...   Trans all bolted up and every lined up perfectly.   I do have a small issue with header clearance along the steering column box.  Might need to 'dent' the headers to clear all around.  We shall see...

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

ACUDANUT

I am blocking out the marker lights on all corners. Also, I was only able to get a 71 quarter from AMD.  I waited six plus months as they had to run a mold when demand was high enough. A 72 quarter I would probably still be waiting for.

I am blocking out the marker lights on all corners Is that legal in Iowa ?

72Charger-SE

Hopefully not an issue...   :icon_smile_cool: :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 24, 2018, 09:05:57 AM

I am blocking out the marker lights on all corners Is that legal in Iowa ?

72Charger-SE

Over the past several days I was able to spend a few hours in the garage working on the Charger.

I installed the Firecore distributor, plugs, plug wires, Edelbrock 750 Carb (no linkage yet), new alternator, cleaned and repainted power steering pump, added more exhaust posts for the headers to properly seat and seal, installed the new front to back 3/8" fuel line and 1/4" return line, and ordered the mini starter to be installed later this week.  Overall it was a good week for Charger progress..

I also learned that a water pump pulley for AC and non-AC cars is different.  :)   Always good to learn new things...

Thanks & GOD Bless!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

72Charger-SE

All, it's been a long time since I updated...   Here is a brief synopsis of what has happened over the past several years...

First, my wife and I sold everything we owned back in 2019 and moved into our Motorhome for her health reasons.  Yes, this included selling the Charger, all parts, and all my tools.
Fast forward to 2020 and we have moved to Georgia with a job change, healthier wife (Praise the LORD) purchased a new home and dealt with Covid-19 quarantine, like the rest of you.
In 2021, we have been through a difficult personal battle with Covid-19 and are currently recovering.

Now, the real reason I am posting here... I am buying my Charger back!    :2thumbs:Stay tuned for more updates around June/July.  

Here are a couple photos of it the last time I saw it...  April 13, 2019...

ACUDANUT

Isn't life just a ball of fun. Welcome back.

AKcharger

CDN72SE

Getting the Charger back will just be a bonus as far as your health and well-being is concerned.

I will be watching.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

72Charger-SE

Oh..   this is funny...   

For those of you that know Brian Bodensteiner, he was my High School classmate so we go way back.  He asked me question on March 1, 2011...  Ten years ago today...    :)

I only missed it by at least five, probably six years.   LOL

70 sublime

Did the other owner do anything to the car when they had it or is it going to look the same as when you sold it ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

72Charger-SE

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 01, 2021, 11:37:03 AM
Did the other owner do anything to the car when they had it or is it going to look the same as when you sold it ?

Good question...  As of today the car is in the same condition it was back in 2019 with the two exceptions the wiring is complete and the motor is running. :)  

You may or may not recall but I built a rotisserie many years back and offered it up for rent to restorers.  I ended up bartering my rotisserie several years ago to a Mopar enthusiast who restores a couple cars each year for the finish body work, paint, and interior work on the car.  The LORD worked it out that the same person whom I bartered the rotisserie to also bought my Charger and all extra parts back in 2019.  The original agreement was for him to complete all body work, paint, and interior and I would finish up the car from that point.  He and I have been talking and since I sold all of my tools, don't have my garage to work on the car, and really have no easy way to complete the car he is going to finish it so I can drive it back to Georgia from Iowa.  As with anything there will probably be small details left to finish up but he is going to make it road worthy and able to drive 1000 miles.   To summarize I simply don't have the tools nor the space to work on the car here in Georgia and he is blessing me by completing the car.  I truly am humbled & so grateful that he is willing to do the work and allow me buy the car back finished.   That's the plan as of today...