News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Six Pack Question?

Started by 440, March 15, 2011, 10:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was wondering who's outer carb metering/ jet plates I should go with to maintain an original look and don't require any modifications using standard Holley jets? I'm more concerned about them looking stock then utmost performance.

My Six pack needs a tune and it doesn't appear anyone has really gotten it right yet, at least not to my satisfaction. I think the plates would be a huge aid in getting it dialed in where it should be. I can only assume someone at some stage has drilled out the stock plates too far as the car is overly rich at WOT.

Still need to find someone in Australia who specializes in multi-carb set ups...

Rolling_Thunder

I would recommend Quick Fuel Technology's metering plate conversion...   I ordered some for my 6 pack recently (still not on the road) - the plates are annodized red but they are inside the fuel bowl so they will look stock from the exterior...      You can keep the stock center metering block because it already uses jets...   

Your best bet would be to access a 1970 Dodge or Plymouth Factory Service Manual and read Ch 14 on the Holley 2300 series carbs - it will give you a step by step instuctions on how to set the carbs up - this would give you a good base to stat with then tune richer or leaner from there...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Thanks for the info,
I'll have to look into them. Did you get the lower base plate with the angled idle screws and if so how do you like it?

Rolling_Thunder

I am actually preparing to rebuilt the set of carbs I have -  I did not get the base plate with the angled screws yet - its pricy for my budget but I need to check how worn the throttle shaft is - if it is totally screwed I'll end up getting the new base plate...         The last owner did a half ass rebuilt on the carbs but I dont trust his work...   I can see bent throttle plates on the rear carb and the noise of debris in the movement...   so I'll need to tear them apart to see what I have left to order...     

The angles screws are nice for adjusting the rear carb - otherwise you need to adjust the front carb then move it to the rear and adjust the new front carb accordingly...     

It is all stated in the FSM - you can also go to the A12 restoration forum and there is a lot of info on six pack set ups...      :2thumbs:

I'll have to pull the front bowl off to see exactly whats in there before I jump in and order the plates. It would also be handy to know the stock drill size so I can compare whats in there to stock. The guy I bought mine from spent a lot of money on the car, but I don't think he knew exactly what the best approach to things were.  

Rolling_Thunder

Cool my man -   here's what you need

Front and Rear carbs Metering Plate

Main Restriction: .052"
Idle Restriction: .029"
Secondary Springs: Yellow

The Screws holding the plates on are Clutch type...   be sure to use the correct screwdriver

Center Carb

Accelerator Pump nozzle: .031"
Manual Transmission Jets: #64
Automatic Transmission Jets: #63

Awesome, thanks for the post. I'll look up and price what I need. Being so far away (outside the US) sometimes it's easier to order everything you need even if you already have it just in case. Otherwise you have to wait ages for parts to filter in.

I assume that would be for a baseline set up?  It would be great to dyno tune it correctly and compare the numbers to the previous owners numbers.

Today I pulled the front bowl off and as I expected standard metering plates.

$72.78 for a pair of Quick Fuel plates is pretty good I think. I read their article and 12HP from just tuning the outboard jets is pretty good.

These are the ones I think I need as it doesn't say which carbs they specifically fit. Hopefully both of my outboards use the same style float as I've only checked the front one.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/metering-blocks-and-parts/billet-metering-plate-kit-vacuum-secondary.html

AED's jet plates are $89.90 for two and Promax are $150 for the pair

Rolling_Thunder

those are the ones you need - the others are for side hung floats - the ones you linked are correct for center hung floats...         

There is an excellent source for parts in Chicago - they have almost every part for these carbs and he'll combine shipping - very straight up guy.   

Those numbers I gave you was indeed for a completely stock set up -  if you change anything else you'll need to adjust everything (obviously)

I'll order some tonight when I get home.

Promax makes outboard conversion plates for the 6 pack but they aren't easy to find on the site. I think they were about $45 each. I'll stick to the Quick Fuel plates.

I hope we can get better numbers as they are down a bit on what it should be.

Well, I bought some of the quick fuel plates locally and they are pretty nifty little units. Much nicer then the cast Holley plates.

Unfortunately the speed shop couldn't help me with a clutch head screwdriver for the screws. I know they are out there....

Also the kill bleed mod with the 10/32 set screws looks like it's a must, the only way to really tune when the outer carbs come in. 

Rolling_Thunder

Kill bleed mod ?  please explain ?  (I'm not familiar with what you are referring to) 

The clutch head screwdriver is a royal pain in the ass...     I found one locally here in So Cal - the guys selling it didn't even have a price for it...   found it in an old surplus tool store...         you need a 5/32"       

If you get desperate let me know and I can ship you one (don't know how much the shipping or anything is to wherever you're at)

I bought a clutch head screwdriver a while ago in the US but it's sitting with all my tools in storage, so technically it's useless at the moment. I know you can modify a flat blade screwdriver but I'd rather the proper tool. I've modified screwdrivers in the past and they work OK, the correct bit is better though.

The kill bleed mod is like putting a tunable restrictor between the secondary vacuum pot and vacuum source. It allows you to change when the outboard carbs open in the RPM range. Less restriction or a larger hole makes them open at a higher RPM, greater restriction or smaller hole and they open at an earlier RPM. The secondary spring only controls how quickly they open. I think it's a pretty cool mod as it doesn't permanently damage the carbs, you can't see it, and you can always return it to the stock set up or change it later to tune it on different engine combos etc.

Here's the article,
http://www.mopar1.us/carbs7.jpg

Thank you for the offer on the clutch bit. I'll look around a bit to see if I can find one here. Shipping small items shouldn't be too bad, only a couple of bucks.

RJ

b5blue

FYI guys, NAPA part # M-135 is correct clutch head screwdriver.  :2thumbs:

Troy

Quote from: b5blue on June 18, 2011, 02:53:47 PM
FYI guys, NAPA part # M-135 is correct clutch head screwdriver.  :2thumbs:
Cool! I had finally found a square head driver bit that worked but I knew it wasn't exactly the right tool.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger Downunder

Quote from: 440 on March 15, 2011, 10:14:29 AM
I was wondering who's outer carb metering/ jet plates I should go with to maintain an original look and don't require any modifications using standard Holley jets? I'm more concerned about them looking stock then utmost performance.

My Six pack needs a tune and it doesn't appear anyone has really gotten it right yet, at least not to my satisfaction. I think the plates would be a huge aid in getting it dialed in where it should be. I can only assume someone at some stage has drilled out the stock plates too far as the car is overly rich at WOT.

Still need to find someone in Australia who specializes in multi-carb set ups...

Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. I did mine it was trial and error on the tuning i had to step up the main jets to 67.

[/quote]

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 20, 2011, 03:47:05 AM
Quote from: 440 on March 15, 2011, 10:14:29 AM

Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. I did mine it was trial and error on the tuning i had to step up the main jets to 67.

I ended up getting a pair of Quick Fuel metering plates for the reason of tuning in the 6 pack a bit better.

Did you drill your stock plates out or leave them stock ?