News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission rebuilt now engine runs rough

Started by Troy, March 15, 2011, 12:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Before taking it to the shop this afternoon I'm going to check the RPM drop when it's in gear. Also, I don't notice a drop or stumble just by hitting the brakes so I sort of ruled out a vacuum leak from the power brakes. That's a side effect - when it bogs while I'm slowing down it also affects the braking.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlockSam

my superbee runs great . real strong . idles at 800rpm's in neutral. nice and steady . i put my foot on the brake pedal and throw it in gear and the rpm's go to 450  :shruggy: . i opened up the idle screws to 4 1/2 turns and it helped but still not great . good luck Troy
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Troy

Ok, it's fixed - although it's embarrassing to say how. Took it to the shop and we drove it around a bit. Mechanic noticed that it was "not running right" when under load. He suspected dirt in the carb and we discussed that it was low on fuel when I originally dropped it off so it may have sucked some junk off the bottom of the tank when they were running and testing it. After he checked all the transmission stuff I was satisfied and took it home. I started doing all the normal maintenance/troubleshooting stuff and noticed that the #6 plug appeared to be wobbling(!). I pulled the wire and it literally crumbled - baked from the headers I'm sure. Started checking others and found 5 bad wires and/or loose connections - a couple of the ends by the distributor would fall out with just a nudge. Swapped all wires with a set I had removed from the Challenger, checked tightness of plugs (but didn't replace them since they are the "shorty" header plugs and I didn't have any extras laying around), checked tightness of header bolts and distributor clamp bolt, made sure wires were tight and would seat correctly, and checked vacuum lines (there aren't many) for leaks. Restarted truck and the idle was obviously higher. Pulled it back down to 850 and reset timing (which was now reading differently and I have no idea why). Reset carb idle screws and reset idle speed again. Truck now pulls 18 inches of vacuum instead of 14. Got in and shifted gears - idle drops but truck doesn't stumble and surge. At that point I declared a "full stop" because it's my luck to keep messing with stuff until I make it worse or break it! Ideally I'd check the passages in the carb and replace the plugs (which I'm sure are fouled now), distributor cap, and fuel filter.

Troy

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

greenpigs

Good, now get the money & buy another 68.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Troy

I'd like to get one on the road first! I still have two in the garage... and 2 70 Challengers and my 70 Mach 1. The purpose of selling stuff off is to concentrate on the "keepers" and get rid of the money pits that I don't really need/want.

Troy

Kern Dog

You deserve a pat on the back for being honest. Many egotistical guys would have never reported what you discovered. Thank you.

firefighter3931

It's allways the simple stuff that we overlook...been there too Troy !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

I'd have looked sooner but I didn't want the trans shop to say I'd been in there messing with stuff - although there's nothing I could have changed that should have affected their work except the kickdown linkage. It's a reminder that one change can affect more than just the area you changed.

Troy