News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Stress Cracks" on quarter panel----68-70 b-body convertible

Started by Chatt69chgr, March 16, 2011, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Has anyone ever heard of this condition.  I am going to evaluate a 69 coronet 500 convertible and was told that the quarter panels had stress cracks.  I have not see the vehicle yet so don't know what is being referred to.  If anyone has ever heard of something like this could they please tell me what this condition is and what someone would do to remedy it.

resq302

On the two convertibles we've owned, (71 Buick Skylark GS convert, and 70 chally vert) both had stress cracks where the quarter panel meets the filler panel just above the trunk.  Very common problem it seems as the body is more prone to flexing than a hard top.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

HOTROD

FIX - subfram conectors and no air shocks ! :Twocents:
We are restoring a 69 Road Runner and thats what we are putting on !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

resq302

Quote from: HOTROD on March 16, 2011, 10:32:21 PM
FIX - subfram conectors and no air shocks ! :Twocents:
We are restoring a 69 Road Runner and thats what we are putting on !!

I can see that for a unibody car but our 71 GS vert had a full frame and still cracked with stock shocks.  Its probably an inherent design flaw that has been modified over the years with the help of computers.  My moms 03 Sebring Conv. does not have any cracks yet that I can find and it has over 30k miles on it now.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chatt69chgr

The general concensus seems to be that this is a common problem.  And the fix is to weld in frame connectors.  This is what I'll keep in mind when I go look at this car.

HOTROD

If you look at all Mopar unibodys ,at the point they were welded directly below the door(were it opens) same with camaros !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

67tbird

I read(72 body manual)that if front or rear sub assy are improperly removed you'll get stress cracks in the sheet metal--dont know if this pertains to 60's mods or not

Chatt69chgr

Well, I looked at the car and the cracks were where I expected them.  On each side behind and to the right and left of the rear window opening.  I think the panel across the top of the trunk is called a dutchman panel.  After looking over the car, the "cracks" were of minor importance and could be dealt with during a normal restoration.  The car had a bunch of other issues.  None that couldn't be fixed.  But I figured that by the time I got through with this project, I would have probably approaching $35k in it.  I decided to not pursue this and stick with getting my 69 Charger done.  Always fun to look at cars and I have learned some new things.