News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advise. Is this spare tire and rim correct original for a 69 Charger?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 21, 2011, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180642472534&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyone here into codes on rims?  Did the Charger use a Firestone tire?  I would love this for my spare but it ain't gonna be cheap.
Advise appreciated , unless you're bidding against me.  :icon_smile_big:

" You are bidding on an original survivor-quality full size spare tire with optional Firestone Wide Oval Deluxe Champion redline F70-14.  Tire condition is excellent, still has nubs on the sidewall, very little if any dry rot (see pics for details); still has inspection stamp on back side of tire- see pic 6.  Pic 7 is the DOT date stamp.  Tire appears to have been used briefly in an emergency as the tread shows little if any wear- you can still see evidence of the nubs on the tread.  Valve stem is missing (you can still hear the back side of the stem rolling inside the tire when you move it).  Bead has never been broken to remove it.  Condition of steel wheel is excellent, with a little minor scuffing around the lugs and axle hub, a few minor scrapes from jack base and being mounted face down in trunk for many years.  Picture 12 shows very minor surface rust in crevice outer hoop is welded to center hub.  This is a must-have for your survivor Mopar, or an easy restoration for concours/show quality.  Code stamped on front side of rim is M3 9 1 30 55, rear is also stamped M3 9. "
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Finding some info.  Found these on moparts.
" F70-14 "red stripe" tire Goodyear Speedway or possibly Firestone Wide Oval "
" A buddy of mines former 1969 Dart 383 had it's original spare and it was a Firestone red stripe "
" My Oct '68 built '69 Charger came with a Firestone F-70 14 Redline original spare."
" I also have a White stripe version of that by Firestone that came out of a Jan '69 production '69 Charger. It was also a spare.

I guess in some cases they used whatever they could get to get cars out the door. "
" M39 and 14 and 55 are stamped by the valve stem. "

Also here is a rim from a 69 Daytona on our site, looks the same.

Well, I think I found my answers.  Hope this helps others. Thanks to this site and moparts.  :2thumbs:

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

maxwellwedge

M3 9 1 30 55  =   Jan 30 1969 date code    5.5" wide rim.   Seen plenty of Firestones on A-Bodies......heard of some on Chargers.

1969chargerrtse

Great info. Thanks for posting it.  :2thumbs:

I got outbid and then he backed out?  Oh Oh what's that mean?

resq302

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2011, 04:04:46 PM

[/b]

Shill bidding.  Probably means that someone was bidding it up for him or that the high bidder changed his mind like a lot of them usually do after the sticker shock and buyers remorse hits in.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see you're doing your homework!  :thumbs:   Learn something everyday.  I was always under the impression that it was a Goodyear tire for a 69 Charger
PS---that Daytona rim has a Goodyear on it ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

I think Goodyear was the majority.....but the "Stones" show up on some original cars now and then.....The only problem - They date coded the tire dates differently than Goodyear did and I haven't found anyone (Even the GM guys) that knows how to decode a Firestone tire.

stripedelete

Ebay spare is dead-on my spare.    (69 R/T -production date 7/3/69)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: resq302 on March 22, 2011, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2011, 04:04:46 PM

[/b]

Shill bidding.  Probably means that someone was bidding it up for him or that the high bidder changed his mind like a lot of them usually do after the sticker shock and buyers remorse hits in.
Thanks for sayiing that.  I agree so I removed mine and it went from 228.00 to 45.00.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 22, 2011, 05:05:39 PM
I see you're doing your homework!  :thumbs:   Learn something everyday.  I was always under the impression that it was a Goodyear tire for a 69 Charger
PS---that Daytona rim has a Goodyear on it ;)
Thanks, you've helped me enough and it was time to do it alone.  :icon_smile_big:
There was a Firestone spare tire picture there, should of posted it.  Can't find the thread anymore.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stripedelete on March 22, 2011, 05:52:16 PM
Wow, so you're proof also they sometimes came as a Firestone.  Picture?  :icon_smile_big:

stripedelete

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2011, 06:52:57 PM
Wow, so you're proof also they sometimes came as a Firestone.  Picture?  :icon_smile_big:

The tire is 700 miles away.  But, to make sure I wasn't a liar, I just had my wife go to the garage and check.  It is in fact a Firestone.   
(got her out of bed - so a picture was pushing my luck)   

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stripedelete on March 22, 2011, 08:18:02 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2011, 06:52:57 PM

The tire is 700 miles away.  But, to make sure I wasn't a liar, I just had my wife go to the garage and check.  It is in fact a Firestone.   
(got her out of bed - so a picture was pushing my luck)   
Oh Geez you didn't have to do that.  Thanks though. :icon_smile_wink:

maxwellwedge

Just confirmed - Another Firestone on an original owner car....Daytona...on the spare.

Sure is a different color combo......Gold with F8 interior.....never seen another like that.

lukedukem

I know this thread is old, but i have the factory spare tire and rim from my 69 charger I'm trying to put a value on so i can sell and buy another rim to match other 4. does anyone remember what this sold for. or does anyone have an idea on what to ask for these. i can get pics and numbers off of it later today. thanks

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

john108

I am the original owner of my 1968 Charger R/T and the original spare tire.  It is a GOODYEAR Speedway.