News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Wing not accepted by DMV

Started by swissmopar, March 22, 2011, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissmopar

I have imported a Superbird to Switzerland. I tried to get the car inspected but the DMV does not accept the wing due to safety reasons (pedestrian could be decapitated etc...).

But there is a solution for this problem:
(1) fix the wing with plastic screws/nuts to the car
(2) get a test from a DMV-approved place to show that the wing falls off in case a power of 280 Newton is applied
(3) secure the wing with metal wires that it does not fall on the street in case it is ripped off
(4) the whole testing will cost me appr. U$ 2500 - 3000

Since I have to present an exact drawing of the wing to the DMV here my questions:
(1) has anyone a drawing with measurements of the original Superbird wing?
(2) has anyone had these problems before?

Help appreciated! Thank you, Karl

Ps. this is not a joke!

41husk

Why don't you remove the wing, get the car registered then put the wing back on?  I have never herd of anyone being decapitated by the wing.  I know the race cars had to have the top of the wing secured with a cable :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Domino

The wing is a humane device, ending pain and suffering inflicted by the rest of the car.  :brickwall:

4cruzin

That sucks . . . alot of money just to test the wing.   :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

hemi68charger

Maybe Doug will have something. Let them know that that wing is engineered to withstand winds of up to 200mph !!!! Nothing is going to knock that wing off unless it's an accident. And even with that being said, one would have more problems to deal with than a wing falling off. Does the DMV think it's an aftermarket part? I believe there are more Superbirds in Switzerland.

I know this doesn't help you, but maybe someone will chime in...

Good luck...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Brock Samson

Wow! Those Pedestrian Protection Standards are pretty serious in Europe... their the ones who started the whole ball rolling on them. Seems pretty silly your having that problem but the Bureaucrats gotta look like they're doing something.

Ghoste

If they could teach people not to walk out in front of traffic they'd be all set.

maxwellwedge

Tell them the car has no reverse gear....

Old Moparz

Like mentioned, if it's because they believe it's an aftermarket item, maybe they simply need to see factory literature showing it's original. I also like the idea of removing it for inspection & reinstalling it later. It is a bolt on part & the holes could be plugged temporarily with removable caps.

http://www.componentforce.co.uk/category/83/panel-plugs

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

swissmopar

Thank you for your support. But I assure you they do not think it is an aftermarket wing. I showed them the original dealer brochure, I showed them magazines from 1970, I showed them even the Moriarty book "SUPERCARS: ...". No, it is due to the regulations. A friend of mine could not even register his original 1971 Hemi Challenger with the small wing (marked in his broadcast sheet), he had to remove it.
Yes, I can get the car registered without the wing, but if I would install the wing after registering the car, the police would stop me very soon. In general they do not like wings/spoilers, the japanese cars (Evo etc.) which have them, went through the same process, the difference is, that a big car company paid for the testing/approval and plastic screws... No, there are no officially registered Superbirds in Switzerland.

Any factory drawing of the wing available?

boss429kiwi

WOW, and I thought New Zealand registration rules were tuff!  :o
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

english bob

Quote from: swissmopar on March 22, 2011, 12:43:28 PM
I have imported a Superbird to Switzerland. I tried to get the car inspected but the DMV does not accept the wing due to safety reasons (pedestrian could be decapitated etc...).

But there is a solution for this problem:
(1) fix the wing with plastic screws/nuts to the car
(2) get a test from a DMV-approved place to show that the wing falls off in case a power of 280 Newton is applied
(3) secure the wing with metal wires that it does not fall on the street in case it is ripped off
(4) the whole testing will cost me appr. U$ 2500 - 3000

Since I have to present an exact drawing of the wing to the DMV here my questions:
(1) has anyone a drawing with measurements of the original Superbird wing?
(2) has anyone had these problems before?

Help appreciated! Thank you, Karl

Ps. this is not a joke!

Can point 3 be used? I'm sure I've seen wing securing cables in pics?

69_500

What good is a plastic screw going to do anyways? I'm just curious. If they are going to inspect  they car just simply pop the trunk for them and let them see the trunk bracing system that already holds the wing in place. There is no logical way they could look at that and not feel safer about the wing than a few plastic screws that they are requesting.

swissmopar

Quote from: 69_500 on March 22, 2011, 03:39:44 PM
What good is a plastic screw going to do anyways? I'm just curious. If they are going to inspect  they car just simply pop the trunk for them and let them see the trunk bracing system that already holds the wing in place. There is no logical way they could look at that and not feel safer about the wing than a few plastic screws that they are requesting.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. They do not doubt that the wing is in its original installation safe. It is too safe. The wing has to fall off e.g. a pedestrians hits the wing (max. power allowed is 280 Newton - over this the wing has to fall off)!

resq302

Honestly, unless you are going in reverse, someone will have to be scooped up by the nose (which in their mind probably cut off their legs), smash into and go over the windshield, clear the roof, roll down the back glass, just so happen to roll up on the torso (since the legs are now dismembered) and then get decapitated.  Speed in order to accomplish this amazing once in a life time feat........ probably an excess of 200 mph! :nana:   

And here I thought the BS we went through for our cars in the USA was a lot!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

daveco

Perhaps they would accept a properly placed warning placard:
R/Tree

pettybird

how about a fiberglass wing?  

I wouldn't want to weaken the factory part, OR expect it to deflect properly, even with alternate fasteners.  I would feel a lot safer with a fiberglass wing doing the same, though.  You may even get someone to make you an ultralight version which you could install with plastic bolts.  the factory wing is so heavy I doubt it would be safe at all with improper bolts.  

You could quite easily run a cable through the fiberglass wing to keep it together, as well.  

What worries me most is the testing--if it DOES break, great, but if it gives first it could dent your quarter panels!

pettybird

Also, do they care about the uprights, or just the center section?  That would make a huge difference.  It would be easier to make the center section out of fiberglass and make it break away. 

daveco

I think for testing, the steel support structure could be replicated. It is sufficiently substantial that deflection of the wing attachment points could be ruled out.
Ref: 280 newton is around 63 pounds.

It would be difficult to secure an original wing casting safely and still meet the separation/retention requirements. So as Pettybird
suggested, a replica wing will almost certainly be required.

Now how 'bout some engineering drawings!
R/Tree

Brock Samson

I think this is some of the stupidest sheet I've ever heard.  :RantExplode:

Ghoste

If I understand this correctly, they either want the wing to be able to easily shear off or be incapable of coming off at all and both extremes are to prevent pedestrian decapitation??

daveco

It has to yield below a specific impact energy level, but also (once separated) must not present a debris hazard.
R/Tree

boss429kiwi

I would be demanding a second DMV opinion. Even for them to allow for historical vehicle reasons etc??
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

daveco

There is a lot of engineering data available on the Winged Warriors website.

http://www.aerowarriors.com/cda.html

(no wing drawings that I could find)
R/Tree