News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger Build

Started by chargd72, March 25, 2011, 09:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Boost timing controller.  One step closer to forced induction.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

72Charger-SE

Chrgd72 - forgive my ignorance...  what is that for?

chargd72

No apologies for questions :)  It's an ignition box like a MSD 6AL but with a lot more features.  This one in particular can retard timing proportionate to boost (supercharger for me).

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Wookie316

With the power you are making, I suggest ditching the 8 3/4" for a Dana. I had one in my 71 and twisted 3 axles before I broke down and put the Dana in. Just my opinion though.
I was running a standard with 600 ft/lbs when doing this.
Dana solved the issues.
Auto you may be OK, but not sure?
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

chargd72

Quote from: Wookie316 on March 07, 2015, 12:35:22 PM
With the power you are making, I suggest ditching the 8 3/4" for a Dana. I had one in my 71 and twisted 3 axles before I broke down and put the Dana in. Just my opinion though.
I was running a standard with 600 ft/lbs when doing this.
Dana solved the issues.
Auto you may be OK, but not sure?

I'm running 275 street tires in back. Might go up to 295 tops. My rear has a 489 case with 3.23 gears. I see your running pretty low with 4.30. Are you on street tires? I would imagine that 600ft/lbs of torque with slicks and 4.30 would twist axles all day.

Wookie316

No.
I had 3.91's and Strange axles when I was doing that in a 742 case. The 31 spline axle is the weak link in the 8 3/4". 742 or the 489 cases them-self are just fine. If my car was lighter, I'd probably have been fine.
Moser makes a 8 3/4" carrier that will take 33 spline axles, but the only way you can jump to the bigger Dana 35 spline axle is to spool it. Not cool for the street.
For the price difference between a Moser center section and a new pair of axles, I just opted for the bigger Dana. I knew I was planning to go to the taller 4.30, so that was already gonna multiply my problems.
Just food for thought is all, if I can save a fellow 3rd gen lover a headache and pass some personal experience on, I am happy to help out.
Car looks great. Keep posting updates!

Wicked72

how did the 391s do on the street? im considering 3.73 mainly street car

Wookie316

When I had the overdrive they were very nice. A guy around the corner from me had 3.73's in his car with a similar build to me and a slightly shorter tire than mine. They ran about the same on the highway.
I'm sporting the 727 and 4.30's and have yet to run it.
Loved the OD in the TKO. But I had a vibration I couldn't get rid of because the tail of the tranny hung too low. Over 60 MPH it would rattle your teeth out. Tried everything I could. Nothing helped determined the tail of the Trans was hanging too low after speaking to many people. Only way to get it higher is to cut and lift Trans tunnel. They advertise it as a bolt in kit but it isn't. Tail sat at least 2"'s lower than the 727 does now.
I'm just no prepared to modify my tunnel that much to make it fit.
So for now it sits in the corner of my shop till I figure out what to do with it?
Heck I'd probably trade it for a Hemi 4 speed if the offer ever came up.

chargd72

Took 40 lbs off the front and put it over the rear axle.  Also made some room up front for this little guy  :D

Wicked72

Very jealous! What did that run you if you dont mind me asking??

chargd72

It was used and came off a mustang.  So I got the head unit and a bracket I need to modify for a grand.

Wicked72

chargd72

Fuel sump is in.  Now I'm pluming up fuel lines to the A1000 pump.

Wicked72

i doing a fuel sump like that too. gottem on ebay for $35. are you using a pump controller?

Baldwinvette77

Thats awesome looking  :popcrn:

chargd72

Thanks guys! Not using a pump controller. Those are more necessary for high pressure fuel injection systems. I'm running a 10AN line from sump to regulator, two 8AN lines to carb and a 8AN return with a fuel cooler. A nice free flowing system shouldn't be hard on the pump.

Wicked72

I saw on the YouTube show roadkill they ran a car with that pump and had fuel boil issues so they put in a controller. I assume you'll have the cooler install pics soon  :popcrn:

VegasCharger

Too bad it covers up the view of the blue Mopar "M" painted on the pumpkin.

chargd72

Quote from: VegasCharger on April 16, 2015, 04:39:41 AM
Too bad it covers up the view of the blue Mopar "M" painted on the pumpkin.

When it's not on stands the entire rear case was tucked behind the gas tank anyway.  People will only be able to notice it when they peak under the car. 

Steve1578

This is my favorit thread, so much win.  :cheers: :popcrn:

chargd72

Got the alignment done. With the SPC adjustable control arms I managed to get 8* of caster. I pulled the camber down to -.9 respectively. With final adjustments I went with .15* toe out on each side.

chargd72

I wasn't satisfied with the wheels I was running so I swapped them out again.  Running NT01 305s in the rear and Falken 275s up front.  I think I'll stick with this setup for a while.

keepat

New wheels and tires look awesome! 305's on the back look like they fit nice!
Pat

chargd72

The block is off to the machine shop.  I ended up doing a half fill to help support the bottom end.  I did a lot of oiling mods that many do to Mopar small blocks but there are some differences when using a Magnum block vs an LA.  I started by drilling all accessible passages to 1/2" and rounding out all corners.  I also did the same to the Melling high volume oil pump.  Most people drill out the hole that goes from the passenger side lifter galley to the main saddle to 9/32" in LA blocks.  The Magnum block already has these drilled out to 5/16" which is great.  I also did the galley crossover feed and blocked the flow to main saddle 1 to allow a reverse feed from the driver side galley.   The lifter galley on an LA block is 9/16".  On a Magnum block it is 5/8".  So I tapped the passenger side galley and cut down a 5/8" fine thread bolt to sit flush under the cam plate.