News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger Build

Started by chargd72, March 25, 2011, 09:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Thanks Alan. I used Krylon Rust Tough Enamel in semi flat.  Covered really well and seems durable enough.  

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Foreman72

What a great thread  :2thumbs:

Awesome work your doing!
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

CDN72SE

Quote from: chargd72 on April 05, 2011, 04:21:43 PM
Thanks Alan. I used Krylon Rust Tough Enamel in semi flat.  Covered really well and seems durable enough.  

Thanks.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

chargd72

Small update.  Converting a low profile manifold with a 2 barrel carb to an air gap manifold with a 4bbl sitting on top is pretty easy by just bolting right on.  The kick down linkage is another story.  I was hoping to be able to find one that would just pop right on but not much luck.  So I thought I'd give some fabbing a try.  I first had to cut the support bracket so it could fit around the bigger runners on the manifold.  I'll let the pictures explain the rest.  In conclusion this allowed me to get the linkage directly in line with the throttle arm and gave more back/forth travel.  Hope it works well.  

Before and after pics.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

earnie

now using the column shifter standoff for a tach mount is a real genius idea thanks for sharing

chargd72

Threw the linkage in last night.  Lines up nicely.

chargd72

Haven't made much progress on the Charger lately.  All I have to say is sanding is a b*tch.  I did finally get some video of it running with the h-pipe and exhaust hooked up.  Earlier videos were just with open headers.  I'm happy with the sound for a SB. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOrDhX1_mA0

67440chrg

You have come a long way. It looks like your doing great keep up the good work.

Skyview69

Looking good...are you sure you knew nothing about this kind of stuff before you started  :scratchchin:

keep up the good work  :cheers:

chargd72

Thanks guys.

Quote from: Skyview69 on September 30, 2011, 07:44:41 PM
Looking good...are you sure you knew nothing about this kind of stuff before you started  :scratchchin:

I wish I did.  Believe me, there's been plenty of trial and error.   :yesnod:

chargd72

I haven't touched the car since October due to the holidays and a sh*t ton of house projects.  But I finally got some garage time last night.  I've been toying with the idea of putting on a Cold Air Intake so I popped it on to see if I like it.  The only mods I had to do was cut a hole in the front clip to route the tubing so I can always go back if desired.  Here are a few pics.

RallyeMike

I like what you did with your tach mount. Isnt it going to block your gas/oil pressure gauge though?

The car looks really solid and a good starting point for a project. You chose well.!~
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

chargd72

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 12, 2012, 10:01:08 AM
I like what you did with your tach mount. Isnt it going to block your gas/oil pressure gauge though?

The car looks really solid and a good starting point for a project. You chose well.!~

Thanks Mike.  It will partially block the gauge when sitting back in the drivers seat.  But the tach is far enough forward on the column that if you do a slight lean forward the other gauges can be viewed.

Wicked72

coming along nicely...im jealous.  :cheers:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

SG1022

Where did you get your cold air intake from? Did you have to cut any of the tubes at all? Also, do you have a picture of the full engine bay?

chargd72

Quote from: SG1022 on January 13, 2012, 12:20:47 AM
Where did you get your cold air intake from? Did you have to cut any of the tubes at all? Also, do you have a picture of the full engine bay?

The picture will help me explain each part better.

1)  This section of the tube and the element came off my sisters 2010 Challenger R/T after it got wrecked.  I aquired this for free because there was a small dent on the bottom of the tubing.
2)  This came off a late 90's Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 liter engine.  The throttle body faces upward and has the same diameter as the carb opening.  Junkyard $15.
3)  Air Cleaner spacer on ebay $5.
4)  4" aluminum tubing with 90 degree mandril bend.  I cut it at the bend to fit the filter right behind the grill.  Ebay $35, paint $5.
5)  K&N tubing adapters.  Amazon 2 for $10

Total $70.  Pretty damn cheap for a true cold air system.

chargd72

Quote from: SG1022 on January 13, 2012, 12:20:47 AM
do you have a picture of the full engine bay?

This is the farthest back shot I took.

ChargerST

Nice setup! Have you driven the car yet? Can you feel a difference?

chargd72

Quote from: ChargerST on January 13, 2012, 11:46:13 AM
Nice setup! Have you driven the car yet? Can you feel a difference?

Car is undrivable right now.  I'm sure the cooler air will be worth a few ponies but I doubt I'll feel much.  I have heard people say you can feel a difference when you take off from a stop light.  It makes sense if you think about how much heat buildup can happen in the engine compartment when there's little to no motion.  With this, you won't be getting the gulp of hot air when you take off.

SG1022

Thanks for the info and pictures! I hope you won't mind if I steal your cold air intake idea.  :icon_smile_big: 

I'm trying to piece it together now, and I just need to find a piece similar to the challenged intake tubing. Could you please get me the length measurements for both of the legs on that(#1 piece)? It would be much appreciated.  :2thumbs:

--Taylor

chargd72

Quote from: SG1022 on January 14, 2012, 12:29:59 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures! I hope you won't mind if I steal your cold air intake idea.  :icon_smile_big: 

I'm trying to piece it together now, and I just need to find a piece similar to the challenged intake tubing. Could you please get me the length measurements for both of the legs on that(#1 piece)? It would be much appreciated.  :2thumbs:

--Taylor

No problem.  I'll try to get it for you tonight.

greymag

Great job so far! A couple thoughts..........you might have to lengthen your trans kickdown linkage arm to the transmission. Very important. You have to keep the geometry consistent with the original setup if you raise the intake portion. Look for a bigger radiator. When you open up the exhaust ports you get closer to the water jacket through the head. This tends to heat the water more.

chargd72

Quote from: greymag on January 16, 2012, 10:23:56 AM
Great job so far! A couple thoughts..........you might have to lengthen your trans kickdown linkage arm to the transmission. Very important. You have to keep the geometry consistent with the original setup if you raise the intake portion. Look for a bigger radiator. When you open up the exhaust ports you get closer to the water jacket through the head. This tends to heat the water more.

Thanks for the info.  As for the kickdown, instead of lengthening the arm I'm raising the lever that connects to the transmission.  This should put the 'geometry' of the setup relatively the same as the original setup.  Plus it has to be done when putting in the new floor shifter cable.  And the radiator, a bigger aluminum one is a must.  The dinky original is just there to hold fluid until I get a new one.

chargd72

Quote from: SG1022 on January 14, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

--Taylor

14" and 4".  This tube is 3.5" in diamter.  I used 4" diameter for the other tube.

AirborneSilva

Doing a great job, keep the pictures coming  :2thumbs: