News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt remake...

Started by BananaDan, March 25, 2011, 03:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

Considering how Hollywood has few original ideas these days and keeps remaking and regurgitating old movies (usually for the worse), how long do you think until they *attempt to* remake this classic?  I read those rumors from a few years back about Brad Pitt starring in a remake.  Personally, I'm glad they were rumors. I would not like him in that role.  Who would you want to see as the next Frank Bullitt, if it's ever remade?

My vote would be for Jason Statham or Daniel Craig.  As for when, I hope never because the original was too good as-is.  But if ever, please no Brad Pitt.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Just 6T9 CHGR

I thought they already remade it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFLWYF5hQU

;)

that was actually from this '76 movie Blazing Magnum...pretty cool chase scene...never seen it before myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9BvD4hzio

Amazing how they trashed those cars & yet they still kept going!!  A few jumps in there put the Duke boys to shame!!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68X426

It would probably be done with Nick Cage  :eek2:  and Adam Sandler  :hah:  with Charlie Sheen  :lol:  as the Chief of Police.

Hollywood should leave the original alone.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BananaDan

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 25, 2011, 03:31:58 PM
I thought they already remade it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFLWYF5hQU

;)

that was actually from this '76 movie Blazing Magnum...pretty cool chase scene...never seen it before myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9BvD4hzio

Amazing how they trashed those cars & yet they still kept going!!  A few jumps in there put the Duke boys to shame!!!
:rofl:  Love the Geico ad, haven't seen that one before.  As for the other video, it's interesting how the one car nose-dives when it gets air on that hill, but lands flat when it jumps the train.  

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Quote from: 68X426 on March 25, 2011, 03:46:09 PM
It would probably be done with Nick Cage  :eek2:  and Adam Sandler  :hah:  with Charlie Sheen  :lol:  as the Chief of Police.

Hollywood should leave the original alone.

:vomit:

TruckDriver

Cool idea. Then it gives Hollywood an awsome reason to destroy more '68 Charger's  :P :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Drache

Quote from: TruckDriver on March 25, 2011, 03:49:38 PM
Cool idea. Then it gives Hollywood an awsome reason to destroy more '68 Charger's  :P :rotz:

Knowing Hollywood they would have a modern Charger vs a modern mustabng  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

Quote from: Drache on March 25, 2011, 03:58:00 PM

Knowing Hollywood they would have a modern Charger vs a modern mustabng  :icon_smile_big:

Then they should do that with all the Fast & Furious movies :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chris G.

Bullitt was/is one of the boring-ist (don't care if it's a word) movies ever. Talk about a snooze fest. Yes it had the ultimate car chase, but other than that is was pure sleep medicine.

When I have a tough time sleeping, I throw on Bullitt and I am out like a light in 5 minutes flat.

...True Story...

Brock Samson

UH60L

Mike DC

I agree the movie is pretty slow when the cars aren't moving. 

A few years ago they talked about remaking the concept very loosely.  Not the same script, but maybe just taking the character and doing some kind of movie around him that included an epic SanFran car chase. 

Not many actors come to mind that could even hope to take McQueen's place with any dignity. 

Matt Damon could probably do it.  It's not unlike playing Jason Bourne again. 

BananaDan

I could see Damon in that role.

bull

I think a remake should consist of Pixar paring the chase scene down to about 7 or 8 minutes and showing their version of that before the next "Cars" movie.

bull

Knowing Hollywood they would have a modern Charger vs a modern mustang  :icon_smile_big:

If/when Chrysler ever gets around to making a new Charger that may just happen.

68X426

Just had a nightmarish thought..... Hollywood could go the chick flick route. Starring two decent looking but otherwise anorexic babes who can't act, with Susan Sarandon tossed in. It's all about feelings. ARRRGGGGHHH !!   NOOOOOO !!  :eek2:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

elanmars

if they remake it, they can totally use a new charger. no need to trash another 2nd gen, i don't care how rusty or crappy it is.

daniel craig would be solid as bullitt. the two bad guys could be vinnie jones and billy drago.  :D
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Johnnys440Charger

"Bullitt" famous car chase remake to GTA SA (Grand Theft Auto San Andreas) mod.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGOCRa5gIos

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: bull on March 25, 2011, 05:51:15 PM
I think a remake should consist of Pixar paring the chase scene down to about 7 or 8 minutes and showing their version of that before the next "Cars" movie.

That pic is awesome!  Did you make that?  Kudos to you!  I agree!   :cheers:  :popcrn:  :icon_smile_cool:  :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on March 25, 2011, 10:09:59 PM

That pic is awesome!  Did you make that?  Kudos to you!  I agree!   :cheers:  :popcrn:  :icon_smile_cool:  :icon_smile_big:

It's my current desktop wallpaper.   :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 25, 2011, 11:15:22 PM
Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on March 25, 2011, 10:09:59 PM

It's my current desktop wallpaper.   :2thumbs:
I'm saving one for myself, I love it! :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Kern Dog

I know that MY tastes are not always representative of the masses, but I still find it surprising when people brag on this movie. Steve McQueen? talk about a flatliner personality. A sheet of plywood had more charisma than he did IN THAT MOVIE. I am far from the strong silent type, so I have no way of identifying with the Bullitt character. The movie was waaaaaaaay too slow for me. The chase that everyone seems to put at the #1 spot on their favorite car chase scenes....? Come on! Sure, for its time it was great. I like the realism of the cars understeering through the turns. The in car cameras give a gritty realism too. The EDITING though! I cant imagine the man responsible for editing the chase would have recieved any awards for that job. How does a car lose SIX hubcaps? How many GREEN Volkswagens were in San Francisco in 1968 anyway? That downhill scene was shot with three or more cameras and they used all 3 in the chase. The stunt driving was great though. I still like Vanishing Point better.
There are movies that had a great premise but had poor execution. THESE would be okay for a reboot. The 2000 Gone in 60 seconds was a decent flick up until the horrible cartoonish jump on the bridge. Who gave THAT a green light? HORRIBLE. They could have used the catapult practice used in the Dukes of Hazzard 2005 movie. With that, the actual car is really jumped.

Mike DC

The Gone in 60 Seconds jump was probably CGI'd for reasons of bridge safety more than anything else.  Imagine trying to get official permission to launch a musclecar 150-200 feet through the air with the bridge's suspension cables on either side.  (If you've ever driven across that particular bridge in real life, it feels pretty narrow.)   They did kill at least one Mustang in the process of shooting that jump.  The car that did the landing came out with a pretty badly crunched unibody.

As for Bullitt, the editing was very good in the DRAMATIC sense.  That was more important than technical accuracy in 1968.  The viewer wasn't even able to pause & replay the footage on a home VCR until about 15 years later. 

BrianShaughnessy

Unlike some,   I am a Steve McQueen fan...    but aside from the chase,  Bullitt isn't the greatest movie.    Far from it. 

They couldn't redo the chase today unless they used a bunch of CGI crap and that would take away from it.   

There has to be more demand than just from Mustang or Charger guys for this to justify the $$$ needed for a remake. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.