News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone try Summit Racing G9041 Headers on 440

Started by sixpack_sid, March 27, 2011, 09:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 charger that Im putting in a 440 and would like to put headers in it. I've been reading nothing but bad things about "The Header Headaches" and wanted your  :Twocents: on which headers are best fitting and not too expensive. Yeah Im cheap  :2thumbs:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Cooter

I've found the good 'ol 1 7/8" Hooker/Heddman, etc. headers work really well, but they still have the dreaded "Saprk plug nightmare" on a couple cylinders...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

I use these:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78030/

The slightly smaller diameter must make plug changes easier as I don't have any issues.

They fit good & I didn't have to do anything other than bolt them on, just got to follow the directions on install.

I also would sand the paint off and put grill or header paint on before installing & after test fitting. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

FLG

Sid,

Check your PM's ive got the pair that GP posted im trying to sell, there new and were ceramic coated black as well  :2thumbs:

madmike

SixPack Sid:

I recently tried to install a set of Hedman Headers pn 78030 into my '68 Charger, 440 4 speed.  The drivers side header would not fit, not even close.  I tried using a stock starter, and a mini-starter, and still they would not fit by a long shot.  I understand that sometimes it's necessary to dent a tube in locally here or there, but no amount of 'dennting' would've made my headers fit.

Worse yet, Hedman was not cooperative in helping me address these issues.  I've had Hedmans on two other vehicles, and did not have any problems with those.

(Sigh) I'm thinking about ordering a set of TTI's...

greenpigs

I thought it said the 78030 was not for 4 speeds, but I could be wrong. :shruggy: On an automatic I can assure you they fit, it is snug on the drivers side & they recommend a mini starter. Some may use the factory HP exhaust manifolds or use the Headman shorty headers, I bought a set & they fit without jacking the motor up if I remember right.  I went with full length because it was cheaper than having a shop bend pipe to fit the shorty's & a performance increase or supposed one.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Nwcharger

Quote from: greenpigs on March 28, 2011, 05:50:23 PM
   I thought it said the 78030 was not for 4 speeds, but I could be wrong. :shruggy: On an automatic I can assure you they fit, it is snug on the drivers side & they recommend a mini starter. Some may use the factory HP exhaust manifolds or use the Headman shorty headers, I bought a set & they fit without jacking the motor up if I remember right.  I went with full length because it was cheaper than having a shop bend pipe to fit the shorty's & a performance increase or supposed one.

Do the 78030 headers fit with power steering?
1969 coronet wagon

Cooperman

I have Hedman Headers 78070 on my '68 440 auto with power steering and mini starter. Tight fitting, but no conflicts.  :2thumbs:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!