News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 unibody gets new metal

Started by Domino, March 30, 2011, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

1969chargerrtse

:o Amazing and professional work for sure. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Domino

Along the cowl where the bottom of the windshield meets, there are these indentations for the trim clips. Had to figure out a way to repair one of them where moisture had gotten under the windshield gasket.

I made up a rectangular piece of 1/4" plate the size of the indentation and cut out a larger rectangle in a piece of angle iron.  Insert 20 ga. sheet metal, apply large hammer and wahlah!
Two more light taps and the depth is only .005" off from the original depth.

Domino

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ryan

May I ask why you butt welded in the quarters instead of doing full quarters? Not bashing your work just curious as I am getting ready to do some metal work on a couple chargers. Your work looks great by the way.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Domino

Quote from: Ryan on April 18, 2011, 08:14:24 PM
May I ask why you butt welded in the quarters instead of doing full quarters? Not bashing your work just curious as I am getting ready to do some metal work on a couple chargers. Your work looks great by the way.

I considered both options, even a full on PSGR side and partial on DVR.  I ended up going this way to preserve the original fit of the trunk opening, quarter end caps, and door gap which only need minor fit adjustment at this point.  Plus, my time is free.

chargerhunter

68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

elitecustombody

Great work! I like the shop as well :2thumbs:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Roger 68 charger

:cheers:   Great work --people will be lining up outside once they see your work     :cheers:
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

70 Charger RT

Nice work.  I plan to use some of your tips on my 70 that I've started recently.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

sixty8charger

hey can you come to NC and help me with my 68!!  not nearly as much fabrication, but there is a few areas.  ;D   :cheers:  I got lots of beer and Whiskey! and Steaks.. did I mention Steaks!
Jayson

Domino

Quote from: sixty8charger on June 27, 2011, 03:29:56 PM
hey can you come to NC and help me with my 68!!  not nearly as much fabrication, but there is a few areas.  ;D   :cheers:  I got lots of beer and Whiskey! and Steaks.. did I mention Steaks!

As good as beer and steak sounds,  :cheers: my hands are full...besides, long distance restoration never works!

Here's some of my latest endeavors:

This was "pound for pound" a very time consuming repair.  Had to fabricate the inner door panel patch, which I hammered out of a sheet with no relief cuts and made a new corner for the outter skin with folded lips to match the factory appearance:

Had to match the body line that goes onto the fender.  The scribe lines are for aligning a previously made template to make sure the gap to the fender is the same.

There are several small plug welds along the flap to tie the skin to the support panel

HOTROD

Man you haft to be a fabricator from some were that just better that stock !! :2thumbs:
What the Hell-Dumass !

Patronus

:iagree:
yeah, whatever he said   :popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

69*F5*SE

Mad skills.  Takes lots of practice and common sense.

70 Charger RT

Wow!  I'm impressed with your metal work.  I have to go through a similar process as you've done. 
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Domino

Update
Our waterfowl hunting season has sucked so bad here in MD, I had to make use of some spare time to work on the charger. 
Used the nice weather a few weeks ago to blast the fenders and hood.  Here's some pics fixing the worse fender:

The nose was hit and had over an inch of bondo to build it back out

I removed the headlight bucket to straighten it and to fix the nose of the fender

The support brace was rotted so here's a homemade one to replace it:

Also had to pull the back support out in order to fix the top and bottom.  Kind of a surgical operation, but if you drill the welds along the folded over edge you can tap it out of the skin with a block of wood.

Plan is to screw the support structures back in place to hang on the car and do gap alignment, pull it back apart, blast, primer, and weld it up final

I dig the tires and pipes originally on the car.... Are they going back on or something different ?

Domino

Quote from: 440 on January 19, 2012, 10:04:23 AM
I dig the tires and pipes originally on the car.... Are they going back on or something different ?

no and no.  I like the torque thrusts, but those particular ones don't fit quite right.

Domino

More fun with metal!
The driver's side fender didn't have much collision damage, but the rust was a little worse.
Fabbed a piece to repair the support that bolts to the fwd rocker.

And then there's the piece under the antenna location that mounts to the splash shield at the top.  It was totally rotted away on the dvr's side, so I went with a mirror image of the template from the passngr side, minus the antenna hole.  A few more tweaks still required, but it's shaping up nicely...

CDN72SE

Wow I feel likeI am looking at a step-by-step in a magazine, very nice work and skill.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

nvrbdn

great work. enjoying the progress. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

billssuperbird