News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 unibody gets new metal

Started by Domino, March 30, 2011, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgold69

i would like to know how you lined up the body line on the quarter panel without the door on   and if you did put the door on how was the body line  i will use a patch panel like yours  do you cut off the door jamb edge and then line up your body line   your work makes me feel more comfortable about my ability to finish my car    :2thumbs:

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hemidog

Fred

It's a true labour of love isn't it?
Oh and the satisfaction it brings...................mind blowing!  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Domino

Quote from: oldgold69 on March 12, 2012, 08:25:17 PM
i would like to know how you lined up the body line on the quarter panel without the door on   and if you did put the door on how was the body line  i will use a patch panel like yours  do you cut off the door jamb edge and then line up your body line   your work makes me feel more comfortable about my ability to finish my car    :2thumbs:

- While the doors were on and aligned and I scribed marks on the leading edge of the original quarters
- the leading 2" or so of each quarter with the alignment marks was maintained since I butt welded the skin.

If you replace the leading edge then you'll need to have the doors on (with new/rebuilt hinges) and align your quarters to the doors.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each way.  I would probably replace the leading edge if I did it again, but both ways work...

oldgold69

did you do it the way you did to leave the factory spot welds intact  or just thought it was easier than plug welding in the jambs  what did you do with the rocker edge    thanks for advice

Domino

Quote from: oldgold69 on March 13, 2012, 11:24:56 PM
did you do it the way you did to leave the factory spot welds intact  or just thought it was easier than plug welding in the jambs  what did you do with the rocker edge    thanks for advice
Primarily it was for maintaining original door gap alignment. 2ndly for stock appearance of the door jamb.
Both of those concerns can be addressed.

plug welding in the jamb shouldn't be a problem, certainly easier than butt welding.

The rocker transition is at the factory location overlapped with plug welds. 
From the top: I connected the vertical butt weld seam with a horizontal butt weld seam ~2" wide and about even with the bottom of the door. from there is AMD's version of the rounded corner down to the rocker flap.
I worked this corner area: made a bridge with a little triangle of sheet metal + build up some weld, then die grinder to smooth it out.
Also, progressively welded up the flap at the rocker transition.
Rough it in with all metal filler and final skim with body filler.

Domino

Metal work phase is winding down, although this hood structure is proving to be a good challenge

Blasted the hidden areas and started cutting out bad areas.   Even though there are only a few pin holes visible from the outside, once separated, there are several large areas that had deep pits.
Starting with the front x-member where the latches mount.  I took angle measurements at various places on the support frame to compare back to.  Also, took combination square meaurements to some marks so that the height is set right.  So if the height it right, and the angles match, it should be good to go.

Everything is butt welded and smoothed out.  I spent some extra time welding the seams on the inside too so that with epoxy primer I shouldn't have any future issues.
I also made an inner reinforcement channel (like OEM) with welded rectangular nuts to accept the latch hardware.  That's the machine screws visible.

Domino

Oh, one more thing...should I remake the 4 support crimps along the front or leave it smooth? 

I think there was some discussion about daytona hoods vs '70 hoods, can't recall if there were smooth '70 hoods late 69 or something like that.  Someone have that info or a link to it?

matrout76

Domino,

Great work!

How do you bend your patch panels so the bend radius matches the original part?

I need to make a patch for some pin holes under the battey tray and and trying to figure out how to best match the bend radius.

Thanks!
Matt

Domino

Quote from: matrout76 on March 27, 2012, 09:21:46 AM
Domino,

Great work!

How do you bend your patch panels so the bend radius matches the original part?

I need to make a patch for some pin holes under the battey tray and and trying to figure out how to best match the bend radius.

Thanks!
Matt

I made that patch too...You can probably just bend that by hand over the edge of a bench, maybe with some clamps, a piece of wood and a mallet.  To increase the radius of curvature, you can also make several small angle bends moving the bend location a little each time.

In general, I don't own a brake, shear, shrinker/stretcher or any other sheet metal tools.   So I use snips, jigsaw, vise, hammers, dollies and improvise the rest...

nh_mopar_fan

Wow. NO way I would've guessed you were doing all these by hand.

Amazing work!  :2thumbs:

Domino

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on March 27, 2012, 02:28:45 PM
Wow. NO way I would've guessed you were doing all these by hand.

Amazing work!  :2thumbs:

To be fair, I did make a few bends at a fully equipped shop early on (the rear inner rockers, and rear window track), but it was a PITA to travel 20 mins each way back and forth.  I realized I could improvise and get done quicker.

winghawg

any progress on the charger? very impressive metal work

AKcharger

You dissassembled the hood/frame  :o  :o I've NEVER known anyone to do that before!

Best metal work I've seen...EVER!  :2thumbs:

P.S. What do you do for a living??

Orange Bird

Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

Orange Bird

Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

RIDGERACER383

How is the charger coming?Any updates?Looking great so far.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

winghawg

any new up dates on your charger

ACUDANUT

Yea, what happened ?. I love following this story.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Charger-Bodie

Id love to see how this Charger is progessing.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Cncguy

Now that's how you fix a Charger! Way to go!

I was wondering if you had any tips on repairing  the rear Dutchman panel ( between the sail panels). I would like to keep as much of the original as possible.

hemi-hampton

First time I seen this post. Interesting thread. Wonder what happened? :shruggy:  LEON.

Domino

Hi guys, didn't realize there were replies here. 
I've been rebuilding my boat, so my shop is full of fiberglass dust.
I have pics of that, but that's for an entirely different forum!

Ill continue posting pics on this when I pick the charger project back up.

B-mail if you have any questions for your project, I'll try to help ASAP.