News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New User - 69 Charger

Started by XP29H9, April 11, 2011, 10:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Before you go and call Legendary, you might want to try Dante.   http://www.dantesparts.com/   He is a Legendary distributor.  I have gotten stuff from him before and somehow, he beats Legendary's prices!    Plus his customer service is excellent as well.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XP29H9

Thanks resq302!  I'll keep that in mind for sure  :2thumbs:

Here are a few pics from what I did today.   I will post the pics of all the problematic areas either on here or in a new thread when I get the go ahead!

The revamped jack stand base:

XP29H9

And the freshly painted wheel with the new tire.  What are your opinions on that small sidewall?

XP29H9

And the pair:

resq302

Not a fan of the small sidewall tires.  They just don't look right on our cars.  Original tire size for that car was probably F70-14 like the ones I have in my avatar pic.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

greenpigs

Much better than sitting on the rims.

I have been through a couple rim combos, my tip is keep the steel rims on the car till its done. Then get the rims you want as you may change your mind a couple times before your done & rims are not cheap most times.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

XP29H9

I'm with you resq302.  I really wanted the new tires to be as tall as the original ones, but I went in search of a cheap tire to just roll the car around on and this is what I came out with $20 later.  The original tires were Remington FR75-14 I think.  Doesn't really matter though, because the tires on the front wheels and the ones on the back are/were two different brands anyway!  Still a taller sidewall tire though.

greenpigs  -  Agreed.  She'll be back on air and rubber again.  One step closer to the road haha.  And for a wheel choice.. if not the original hubcabs on those steel rims, then I was thinking maybe a set of 69 Rally wheels.  I've just always liked that look.

Here's a pic of what the rear wheel looks like on the car.  Original, as if the hubcap were just taken off of it.. (and the spiders wiped away, of course  :P)

Careful of those paving blocks the car/jacks are on. They break easily which wouldn't be kind to the charger or you especially if your under it.

I'd use something else in place of them  :Twocents:

tan top

Quote from: 440 on April 14, 2011, 11:30:23 PM
Careful of those paving blocks the car/jacks are on. They break easily which wouldn't be kind to the charger or you especially if your under it.

I'd use something else in place of them  :Twocents:

:yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XP29H9

What would be the best thing for me to use?  Just a square of wood or a board maybe?

resq302

Ive used plywood if it was on asphalt and if it was on loose or dirt ground, a 2x6 under the still jack.
Brian

tsmithae

:iagree:

I have a couple squares of 2x12 that I keep around just for the jack stands.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

XP29H9

Well I've got a 2x12 in the garage that I can cut off of.  Sounds like that'll be on the "to do" list as well!  I tried to take my right rear wheel off today and it is seized up.  probably from rust.  but I took the lugs off and wiggled and beat and banged on it with a rubber mallet.  Nothin.  Liquid wrenched it twice in 5 min intervals.. beat bang.. nothin.  Im figuring wait untill a warmer day (70+) and maybe it'll come off?  It was about 50 degrees here today. 

freddyd02

Chargers have reverse threads on one of the back wheels, i think its the passenger side?? I forgot, replaced mine along time ago  :o

greenpigs

Yep check the end of the lug, I believe it will be stamped with a L unless it was switched. No need to replace just got to remember to go other way when messing with them.
   So you have a garage, is it big or deep enough to fit the Charger in?

I would make getting the car in that garage priority #1 so you might want to get tires that will hold air on the back next.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BIRD67

Car is looking good! Not too many triple black cars with clocth seats running around..
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

Chatt69chgr

My advise is to photo document everything before you take it apart.  Then bag and tag everythiing.  And most importantly-------don't throw anything and I mean anything away.  Rusty bolts can be cleaned up.  And even if you don't reuse them, you have them for reference to know exactly what they looked like.  Clamps and hoses that are original, even though not being reused, are valuable to identify exact sizes and markings.  Also note that when you order new replacement parts they won't always look like your original.  This is important to some.
You will need to decide what kind of restoration you want to do.  Are you trying to keep it looking exactly like it came from the factory or are some deviations allowable.
You first order of business will be to get it into a stable environment and then do an overall assessment of what will be needed to accomplish the restoration.  It won't be cheap.  You can easily spend $30k.  If you decide to proceed, then comes teardown. 
You have some good looking parts there.  The console looks nice as does the grill.  You have a 3-speed wiper motor.  Ms. Kim Leger that posts on here does beautiful restorations of these----you can't buy these as reproductions.  A fellow in California, name escapes me, restores the water valve on the firewall (heater hoses go to it)--you can't buy repops of those either.  Many parts you need were not available 5 years ago--they are now.  It's a journey but a fun one.  Don't get in a hurry.  Take your time and enjoy it. 

FlatbackFanatic

Welcome!! Its cool that the car stayed in the family. You got your self a little job there, to restore. Like everyone else has said, just take your time. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

djcarguy

:popcrn:   WELL YOU HAVE NOT POSTED FOR A MONTH ????SO IAM GUESSING THE SPIDERS GOT YOU AND HUNG YOU UP UNDER THE CAR,HAHAHA???
   WELL I POSTED ON BODY DAMAGE THREAD THEN REMEMBERED THIS ONE???OOPS  IS IT RUNNING YET,,,,,DID YOU GET IT TO TURN OVER,BY HAND OR SOCKET  OR HOOK UP BATTERY LOOSE AND BUMP KEY????
     CLEAN,BLOW OR WASH ENGINE AROUND PLUG     WITH OUT FILLING IT WITH WATER..PULL PLUGS AND DO COMPRESSION TEST  AND SHOOT OIL IN CYLINDERS TO SOAK RINGS AND GET IT TURNING,,,,OK  GOOD LUCK AND POST NOW THAT YOU HAVE US HOOKED AND FULL OF MOPAR DREAMS OF OUR OWN FIND OR SAVE,HAHAHAH???

DISCONNECT FUEL TANK LINE FROM PUMP,,,GET4 FEET GAS LINE AND JUST SUCK GAS OUT OF 5 GALLON CAN.SO YOU DONT PUMP OLD BAD GAS INTO REBUILT CARB... GIT HER DONE RUNNING THEN BRAKE FLUID AND PUMP TILL LEG FALLS OFF AND CHECK FOR LEAKS AND ALL THAT FUN STUFF...DJ IN OREGON :2thumbs: :popcrn:

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

doctor4766

Quote from: djcarguy on May 21, 2011, 04:00:20 AM
:popcrn:   WELL YOU HAVE NOT POSTED FOR A MONTH ????SO IAM GUESSING THE SPIDERS GOT YOU AND HUNG YOU UP UNDER THE CAR,HAHAHA???
   WELL I POSTED ON BODY DAMAGE THREAD THEN REMEMBERED THIS ONE???OOPS  IS IT RUNNING YET,,,,,DID YOU GET IT TO TURN OVER,BY HAND OR SOCKET  OR HOOK UP BATTERY LOOSE AND BUMP KEY????
     CLEAN,BLOW OR WASH ENGINE AROUND PLUG     WITH OUT FILLING IT WITH WATER..PULL PLUGS AND DO COMPRESSION TEST  AND SHOOT OIL IN CYLINDERS TO SOAK RINGS AND GET IT TURNING,,,,OK  GOOD LUCK AND POST NOW THAT YOU HAVE US HOOKED AND FULL OF MOPAR DREAMS OF OUR OWN FIND OR SAVE,HAHAHAH???

DISCONNECT FUEL TANK LINE FROM PUMP,,,GET4 FEET GAS LINE AND JUST SUCK GAS OUT OF 5 GALLON CAN.SO YOU DONT PUMP OLD BAD GAS INTO REBUILT CARB... GIT HER DONE RUNNING THEN BRAKE FLUID AND PUMP TILL LEG FALLS OFF AND CHECK FOR LEAKS AND ALL THAT FUN STUFF...DJ IN OREGON :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Maybe he did that and his leg already fell off and that's why he can't get to his puter to post updates????
Gotta love a '69