News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger body damage

Started by XP29H9, April 14, 2011, 10:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM
Read the Ridelikehell thread are you scared & figure your about in for the same treatment. Are you up to it? LEON.

your inbox is full LEON ;)
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

hemi-hampton

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on April 17, 2011, 04:51:00 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM
Read the Ridelikehell thread are you scared & figure your about in for the same treatment. Are you up to it? LEON.

your inbox is full LEON ;)

I emptied some so should be OK to send Messages. THANKS, LEON.

flyboyedwards

Did someone give you this car? If so, just think to yourself............I am thousands ahead! I just bought my 69 in January, and have found much to do also. I know it may sound silly, but just pick one small project at a time, and eventually, you will have an awesome car.
I try to keep the momentum up by either pricing and buying "needed small parts", to keep the costs low. I bought some DA sanding pads, and got a door down to bare metal, and one fender too. once I epoxy prime them, it will "appear" that I made some big strides!
I know a LOT of the posts here seem like "doomsday" posts, because it DOES take awhile, but keep the faith! You can and WILL have a classic! And think about it this way.............At least it's NOT a mustang!
Best wishes!
Jason.

chargerhunter

I had to wait until I was in my 30's before I could even think about buying one..congrats on the car. It can become overwhelming sometimes but like the previous post says..just take it one step at a time.
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

djcarguy

:popcrn: WELL DO YOU HAVE IT RUNNING YET????  FORGET BOUT DOOR,FENDER AND BODY FOR NOW..

DOES ENGINE TURN BY HAND OR WITH SOCKET ON CRANK BOLT????BLOW OR WASH ALL DIRT OFF ENGINE WITH OUT FILLING IT WITH WATER...  TURN IT OVER.... PULL SPARK PLUG AND DO COMPRESS TEST AND SHOOT OIL IN CYLINDER TO SOAK RING.......INSTALL CARB AND JUST GET 4 FEET GAS LINE AND SUCK GAS OUT OF 5 GAL GAS CAN.....   GET THE BEAST RUNNING???
     GET WHEELS TURNING AND ADD BRAKE FLUID AND PUMP TILL LEG FALLS OFF,HAHAHAHA.CHECK FLUID LEVELS CHECK FOR LEAKS AND PUMP SOME MORE........GET TIRES THAT HOLD AIR.....
    WELL BEEN A MONTH WHATS THE NEWS??????? :2thumbs:

MaximRecoil

There's more than one way to skin a cat. It seems that most of these threads like this are full of doom and gloom posts, talking about many tens of thousands of dollars and years of time. Well, that's true for most any restoration, no matter what you start with. For example:

Quote from: SFRT on April 15, 2011, 12:52:35 AM
it will cost you 60-80 grand and take a couple of  years to make it 'really nice to perfect' .

if your lucky.

He based that post on only seeing pictures of the body. So if you started with an undamaged body you could subtract say $10K, and that brings his estimate to 50-70 grand; not much of a difference.

However, you don't have to restore the car (many people on here seem to think that is the only option). Safely driveable but ugly is a much cheaper option. Safely drivable and halfway decent looking is another much cheaper option. Only rich people or people willing to go into debt and/or stretch it out over many years can afford to restore cars.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: MaximRecoil on May 25, 2011, 04:46:45 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat. It seems that most of these threads like this are full of doom and gloom posts, talking about many tens of thousands of dollars and years of time. Well, that's true for most any restoration, no matter what you start with. For example:

Quote from: SFRT on April 15, 2011, 12:52:35 AM
it will cost you 60-80 grand and take a couple of  years to make it 'really nice to perfect' .

if your lucky.

He based that post on only seeing pictures of the body. So if you started with an undamaged body you could subtract say $10K, and that brings his estimate to 50-70 grand; not much of a difference.

However, you don't have to restore the car (many people on here seem to think that is the only option). Safely driveable but ugly is a much cheaper option. Safely drivable and halfway decent looking is another much cheaper option. Only rich people or people willing to go into debt and/or stretch it out over many years can afford to restore cars.

Your right, you could get it running & just take it to Earl Scheib or Maaco for quicky body work & paint. If that will make you happy go for it. LEON.