News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restoring exhaust manifolds

Started by 1 of 1, April 20, 2011, 08:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1 of 1

I can't stand rusty exhaust manifolds. Thought I saw a thread about this but of course I can't find it. Thanks gary.
PS how do I go about editing my user name?

moparguy01

Eastwood makes some stuff, looks correct and is put on with a rag then baked on in an oven. I wouldn't the oven you cook dinner in though....Might taste funny.
I know it looks good right away, but i'm not certain how it lasts up.

have you looked into getting them ceramic coated by a company like Jet Hot?

twodko

I had my manifolds media blasted then coated them with a silver/gray Eastwood product whose name escapes right now but it still looks good.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

resq302

When working on our el camino, a bunch of my Chevy friends ( I know, I know, but they have some high end Chevelles) told me about a guy Jerry McNeish (last name spelling not certain) who redoes Camaro stuff.  He has a process that skins them in alluminum after they are blasted and they will never rust again!  You just have to paint them with VHT Nu Cast exhaust manifold paint which he includes as well!  Can't remember the price but well worth it!  I have not had a flake of rust on them or rust through the paint since I had them done back about 5  years ago.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparguy01

I had forgot about Jerry. He does very impressive work. I just sent him a message to get pricing.

resq302

Just an FYI - Prior to getting the alluminum skinning done, I was having all kinds of issues with paint rusting through (same problem with Calyx) and paint peeling off the exhaust manifolds.  No matter what I tried, Por-15, Eastwoods Exhaust manifold paint, etc, it always seemed to have problems.  I had the best results with the VHT paint and when I saw Jerry included that with the manifolds, I knew it would be no problems after that.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had mine Jet-Hott coated in & out....been this way since 2001  Not as dark as a true cast iron color...I believe now they offer a darker shade of gray.

PS---you can change your display name by clicking "Profile" on the menu bar top left, then clicking "Account Related Settings" out of the choices on the left

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1 of 1

Hey, thanks twice. The photo will be a help while doing mine. say do you have a photo of your aircleaner. I saw photos of that black and tan one ,it had two snorkels and a flat area in the front. Is that for cars with AC or just the later models? today moved it out of the storage unit Gary

Tilar

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 21, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
PS---you can change your display name by clicking "Profile" on the menu bar top left, then clicking "Account Related Settings" out of the choices on the left

Not an option for those of us on the low end of the totem pole.

Sweet looking engine compartment.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

y3chargerrt

The dual snorkel air cleaner was part of the California noise reduction package.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Tilar on April 23, 2011, 04:15:12 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 21, 2011, 04:13:26 PM

Not an option for those of us on the low end of the totem pole.

Sweet looking engine compartment.

Really?  have to ask Troy about that..

PS--thanks :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

I went the ceramic coating route done by a local company with a good reputation. http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/
I was hoping they'd turn out a tad bit darker but they look pretty good and I'm hoping they'll hold up.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Those look much darker than mine Curtis :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T