News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Removal Help?

Started by 440, April 25, 2011, 10:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

any good shop can have it out in under and hour and IMO is the only way to do anything major under or in the dash

my back can't lay in that position that long like it used to

doctor4766

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 26, 2011, 03:03:03 PM
any good shop can have it out in under and hour and IMO is the only way to do anything major under or in the dash

my back can't lay in that position that long like it used to
This is true. But there IS the risk of glass breakage during removal OR refit. *Even if it's your own car you're working on AND you're a pro
It's a risk that must be taken though if the job is going to be done properly.
Gotta love a '69

I think pulling the cluster is the hardest part with all the connections etc. The rest is fairly straight forward.

My back is still a bit sore from putting a new regulator in with the hopes it would bring life back to some of the gauges. The cluster was still installed and the clutch pedal kept getting in the way of my arm making it extra difficult.

Well I made some headway today and it's pretty much time to pull the windscreen out, disconnect the last remaining few things, drop the column and out she comes. You can also see the original color of the car around the ash tray, kinda cool finally knowing a bit more history as to what color it used to be....

I was quoted $233 to pull the windshield out and reseal it. At lease they insure the glass so if they break it they will replace it, $890 for a new screen :eek2: and they provide a new gasket. They also said it might be a bit cheaper if they can reuse my gasket.

As always you find little surprises along the way like a couple of the studs on the back of the fascia were broken and the previous owner put a strip of foam to keep it from rattling, wrong screw here and there so... time to order a few more bits  :rotz: 

I do have a few questions however, Are the heater control knobs being reproduced?

Also, what is supposed to cover the blower box?

Anyone reproduce the headlight vacuum harness w/grommet ?

doctor4766

There's a cover that's made if fibreglass I think, that screws under the dash to cover the heater box. Just can't find a pic atm
And you can get new decals for the A/C control sliders. Not sure if the actual knobs are reproduced though.
Gotta love a '69

There's a vacuum activated door that closes it off but surely it wouldn't be open like that when the door is open. I'm not terribly fussed about the AC stuff but it would be nice if it's at least complete under the dash, so that if a later date I or whomever else wanted to ad the AC all they'll have worry about is firewall forward. All I really need are the hoses to the center vent and outer vents and whatever covers the heater box.

I'll have to track down some of those decals. 

Does your Charger have AC Paul ?

doctor4766

Might have some spare hoses kicking around somewhere. I'll take a look.

Yes my Charger is an A/C car but when I bought it, it seems that any and every possible part that they could remove to sell seperately was taken off before the sale.
All A/C accessories including the whole heater box, All the driprail moldings, bumper overriders,vinyl roof moldings, front and rear glass moldings, wheel well moldings etc etc etc were gone and I had to source myself.
I've replaced all but the under hood aircon parts to this date.
Maybe before next summer................
Gotta love a '69

Awesome, A/C is almost mandatory in Aus. I bet that wasn't cheap getting all the bits for your car... Luckily I have all of the A/C equipment under the dash except for the 3 A/C hoses for the center vent and the two outer vents.

Can you take a pic of your heater box when you get a chance ?  

Thanks,

RJ

Well, I got the dash out yesterday and  :eek2: I can't say it was terribly hard, quite easy actually, but the visual after tearing apart a perfectly good car is a bit overwhelming. The thought of the end result is whats keeping my spirits up.

Whoever installed the windscreen went nuts with the silicone which removing was a pain. At least it's pretty much ready to go to the body shop now to get the window channels sealed and resprayed. To my surprise the lower corners of the window channels looked quite good, and all of the reveal clip screws came out without a hitch.

Should there be sealant between the dash frame and the firewall ? There was sealant on mine and over the reveal clip screws...

Also, what's the best way to seal the windscreen and clips to protect against rust and future deterioration?

I also got my repop kick panels from Dante's and I am anything but impressed. If I didn't live so far away I would return them. The grain is terrible - similar grain as the fascia panels which stands out and looks wrong from first glance upon opening the box. Also, instead of a molded standoff for the screw fixing they give you a nylon spacer...... The panels come from "Dashtop by Palco Industries". I should have asked more questions before ordering them  :rant:  

I'll end up using my original kick panels as the grain is correct and the BE&A A pillar grain is the same.

doctor4766

Also, what's the best way to seal the windscreen and clips to protect against rust and future deterioration?
Make sure the fitter applies heaps of butyl mastic between both the rubber and body, and the rubber and glass.
Enough such he has to clean up what oozes out ofter the rubber is "locked up"
Might not protect the clips as they will always get wet in the rain but enough sealer should stop water getting into the cabin.

Gotta love a '69

There was hardly, if any mastic around the rubber or glass. Most of the mastic was between the dash frame and firewall, behind and covering the reveal clip screws. I think this is why they fared so well. Luckily there wasn't any evidence of new rust forming, but I'm still going to ask the body man to lead fill and seal the corner seams.

I think the mastic between the dash frame and firewall was original as the original body color is evident underneath and was simply painted over when the car was painted.

I'm sure looking forward to getting this part of the car finished......

Want some new repop black kick panels and a black dash pad Paul ?  :lol: Do you know where to find a vent control knob for a side vent ?   

doctor4766

I'd like to get some upper door pads one day lol (keep me in mind)
Hey which vent knob are you referring to.. have a pic?
I may have something
Gotta love a '69

I'll be turfing (selling) mine once I put the new ones on.. You've seen pics of mine, interested in them even though they are painted? If you could easily strip the paint they would be fine.... 

doctor4766

Can't remember if I have seen them actually.
Can you email me please?

I'll take a look if I have that knob for you. I'm sure I've got a couple of spare vents at the shop.
Gotta love a '69

az69rtcharger

I just removed my windshield and dash unit and can't believe how easy it was and I had no one help me, now just to remove the heater unit and then off to the media blaster so I can start the body work and paint next week, I'm so lucky to have a rust free body that only requires minor work.

Yes az69rtcharger, it was a lot easier than I thought too....

I'm going to send my dash frame off to get dipped and coated but I'm a bit worried about letting it out of my control with the VIN tag still attached to it...

doctor4766

Pretty sure you can buy those special rivets, Someone here will know.
That way you can remove it before sending the dash off.
Or you can do what I did and use standard rivets to reinstall the tag.
Yeah I know it's not "correct" but my whole car is non original
Gotta love a '69

I have some of the special rivets coming along with the Chrysler Penstar logo transfer for the VIN. I suppose once it's painted you wouldn't see that they were new.... Although if road reg suspected something I'd be in for it :(