News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Value of car With Orginal paint vs other then orginal

Started by bricklayer, July 02, 2007, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

I have  A 1969 charger numbers matching, orginal color is Y2 you may have seen by my other threads i was thinking about Hemi orange but can't pull the trigger on any color. it is not an R/T but it is all orginal does anybody have pics of Y2 cars? I meen if it is this hard to pick a color shouldn't i just go with orginal man I really need help!!!  does this happen to other people with this color problem, any input would be apperciated thanks again  tom

Silver R/T

My R/T is originally silver but I like other mopar colors. I'm not sure what color Ill paint it yet, most likely original silver though. On a non R/T car I wouldn't worry about color, Id fix it up way I want it to look like.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69RTSEV88

What are your intentions with the car in the future?  If you are redoing the car for yourself, and plan to keep it for years then paint it whatever color you like best.  It really won't matter what it does to the value of the car if you have no intentions of selling it.  Also, some of the brighter "high impact" Mopar colors such as orange will make the car more attractive to some buyers even if its not the original color.  If it was an extremely rare model such as a Daytona or a 500 and you were doing a completely original style resto then yes I would stick with the factory color.

Ghoste

Not to mention that what is popular today could be generally seen as a repulsive color choice in just a few years.
Now if it's a survivor with original paint, that is also another story.

bull

I believe the value of something is directly related to how desireable it is to a certain number of people. I don't like '68 Chargers in white, bronze, yellow, beige, gold or turquoise so to me the value of a Charger is less in those colors than in black, blue, red, etc. The obligation you're feeling is just that, a feeling. I've often felt "obligated" to paint my 1 of 74 Charger the original green because it's a rare car, but I don't really like the original green so I'm leaning toward blue or black. If I ever sell it (and that's a very big if) the next guy can worry about whether to make it the original color. It's really not my problem and I really believe the loss in value will be nominal if anything.

However, to answer your question directly, a long-time Mopar buddy of mine once told me that it doesn't matter what color you paint your classic car as long it's an original color. In other words, if your car is a '69 pull out the '69 color chart and pick one you like. The only time I think you might lose some value is if you paint it some really odd color like baby poop brown with lime green stripes or three different shades of hot pink. Give the next guy something he can stand to look at for a few years until he gathers the money to repaint it. Obviously you're not a purist or we wouldn't be having this conversation so pick a color you like and go with it.

Ghoste

Your friend makes a good point.  I am far more often asked if my car is an original color than I ever am if it's the original color.

Charger1973

My car was dark metallic gold but to me it looked like metallic sh*t brown...  :eek2: 

Im going to paint it top banana yellow and I think it will get alot more looks and I just like the color alot better, and its an original color.  :boogie:

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT