News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any way to fix a scratch without repainting?

Started by Wakko, December 25, 2005, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

So I decided to clean out the garage today and I had to move my roommate's brand new 2006 Yamaha R6.  I really don't know what was going through my mind when I picked it up but it kept right going, fell over and landed on a wheel.  The paint now is scratched along the lower edge of the top fairing/windshield assembly and I feel like a total douche bag.  The bike is black so I'm hoping I can fix it without having to repaint the whole fairing.  Any ideas?   Here's about where the scratch is, if it makes a difference.  It's not on a flat edge but a rounded corner.  He's out of town till January 7th so I'd like to fix it before then but I will tell him about it regardless.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Daytona R/T SE

You screwed up, period. Tell your friend what happened, let him decide how he wants his bike repaired, then you pay for it. Anything else would be dishonest. On the other hand, if your roommate is a prick, put the bike back where you found it and play stupid :angel:

Drop Top

It all depends on how deep the scratch. If its a very slight scratch then you might be able to solorsand and buff it out. If its so deep that it went into the glass. Then its going to take a bit more.

The good news is that black is one of the easiest colors to touch up. If its really deep. You can go to your local automotive paint supply and buy a pint of single stage urathane paint matched to the bikes color. Make sure you buy the hardner for it also. Mix a very small amount of paint and hardner. Do not add reducer to it. Dab the paint into the scratch. Try to keep the paint inside the scratch. Dab the paint entil it it higher then the rest of the paint. Now let it set over night with a flood light on it so it will cure. The next day soak some 1000 grit paper and block (Oh so slightly) the dabbed paint down even with the rest of the paint. If it needs more build up now would be the time to do it. If this is the case repeat the steeps all over agian. Once you get the scratch repaired. All you need to do then is buff the area and your done. I fixed a Kandy job doing this once. It was chiped all the way past the primer. It took abit more finess. But you couldnt tell after I was done.

If this dosent work for you. Your going to have to have it fixed by a profestional.

CB

Hey Wakko,send a PM to Doc74. He used to paint bikes. He can give you good advice.
Here's his profile:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=325

Good luck,bro!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

BigBlockSam

thanks drop top. i git a scratch on my 39that i'm gonna try that on. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Shakey

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 25, 2005, 09:56:22 PM
You screwed up, period. Tell your friend what happened, let him decide how he wants his bike repaired, then you pay for it. Anything else would be dishonest.

:iagree:

Let him decide!  If you do it, no matter what, he won't be happy with the repair job!

Silver R/T

Quote from: Drop Top on December 26, 2005, 10:27:05 AM
It all depends on how deep the scratch. If its a very slight scratch then you might be able to solorsand and buff it out. If its so deep that it went into the glass. Then its going to take a bit more.

The good news is that black is one of the easiest colors to touch up. If its really deep. You can go to your local automotive paint supply and buy a pint of single stage urathane paint matched to the bikes color. Make sure you buy the hardner for it also. Mix a very small amount of paint and hardner. Do not add reducer to it. Dab the paint into the scratch. Try to keep the paint inside the scratch. Dab the paint entil it it higher then the rest of the paint. Now let it set over night with a flood light on it so it will cure. The next day soak some 1000 grit paper and block (Oh so slightly) the dabbed paint down even with the rest of the paint. If it needs more build up now would be the time to do it. If this is the case repeat the steeps all over agian. Once you get the scratch repaired. All you need to do then is buff the area and your done. I fixed a Kandy job doing this once. It was chiped all the way past the primer. It took abit more finess. But you couldnt tell after I was done.

If this dosent work for you. Your going to have to have it fixed by a profestional.

best idea
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargerhunter

Air brush, there is a local place here in Texas that does scratch repairs just like this. Check around and see what they charger. I'm sure there is a place just like this in FL where you live Wakko. They fixed my hood on my Nissan that a neighbors cat did and it was deep. You could never tell it was scratched!
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Wakko

Well, I brought the bike to the body shop that's [still] fixing the GN and they fixed it, mostly.  The gloss black areas were filled with paint, sanded smooth and polished.  You CANNOT tell it was scratched at all.  The only thing not repairable was the side panel which is a sem-flat grey metallic.  Only repainting the whole panel will fix that.  Roommate comes home on Sunday, I'll show him the bike, show him what I had repaired already and see what he wants to do with it.  Body guy offered to paint BOTH side panels gloss black to match the bike for cheap.  I was pleased.  Especially when he wouldn't take any money for it.  Figure I'll send a few pizzas over for his guys as a thank you.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Drop Top

;) Told you it would work.  ;D  You just had to take it to someone more comfortable with doing it. Glad it worked out for you. The reason they couldn't repair the semi-flat panel, is that you cant buff semi-flat paint.

If the owner wants the side panels back to its original color. Match the paint and have them shoot just the base with no clear. It will look just like it did from the factory. It shouldn't cost too much for the labor. It just depends on how much they charge to match the color. But you shouldn't need any more then a pint of paint to do the job. Just be sure they use a reactive reducer and not just urethane reducer in the color. This will make the color last longer and be more durable.

Wakko

Good tips, I know nothing about body work.  The bike is two tone, black metallic and the lower panels are the charcoal semi flat.  I think it would look great if the whole bike was black metallic, but we'll see what he says when he gets back on Sunday.  Color matching isn't that big of deal since the panels are on opposite sides, impossible to compare the two.  We shall see!
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722