News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Galen Govier - What Gives?

Started by Shakey, January 08, 2006, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I am still interested in getting a couple of those 3D printed plastic tags that a member here was posting about. I'd have a mix of genuine and custom codes to reflect the actual equipment on the cars.

Dano 1

Hit me up KD, I'm still doing the tags and other parts just have gone a little dark right now because we decided to buy a new house and move right in the middle of Covid. Good news is the new house has a 4-bay shop so it'll all be worth it...I think...
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

AKcharger

Dano 1

I 3D print replica fender tags for people whose original tags were lost, to keep original tags safe during shows etc. by displaying a replica, or for customization with non-factory codes, symbols etc.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,136550.msg1705061.html#msg1705061

I'm also working on a bunch of other 3D printed parts/accessories for our cars, just on a bit of a forced break right now while I move.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,138386.0.html
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

AKcharger

SUPER COOL! I recall your parts thread.  That type of stuff is EXACTLY what we need in the hobby!

Kern Dog

Quote from: Dano 1 on December 15, 2020, 08:22:28 AM
Hit me up KD, I'm still doing the tags and other parts just have gone a little dark right now because we decided to buy a new house and move right in the middle of Covid. Good news is the new house has a 4-bay shop so it'll all be worth it...I think...

Thank you! The car has a 440 based 493 so instead of an E86 code for the engine, I'm thinking E93.
I'm doing a 5 speed swap so the transmission code will be something like D25 as opposed to D21. I have to research the stock codes for the rest of the stuff I changed. 4 wheel disc brakes, frame connectors, seats, stereo, A/C...stuff like that.
Thanks for responding here, I had forgotten your screen name.   :2thumbs:

FastbackJon

As far as the car shows go, most all of us get a little annoyed with someone going beyond what we believe our car's personal space bubble is without asking. I seem to attract a lot of people who love to lean on my vehicles. They can walk fine but all of a sudden there is a shiny car nearby and they have to lean on it. It can be annoying. If you get super angry about people touching your cars, I'd suggest saving yourself the grief and hassle and not taking your car to a car show. Or put up ropes and cones or something.

The kids seem to have the most fascination with these cars. We were all little kids once, some just grow out of that faster than others. At a small town car show once, I saw three gradeschool boys walking around. They looked at my Charger and I told them they go ahead and sit in it, front or back, move the steering wheel, etc, just don't touch the shifter as it car might start rolling. They were thrilled. They didn't hurt anything. I heard them later in the day bragging to their friend they got to sit in the Charger and the friend didn't believe it. Maybe it's people like me that are growing the adults that go too far? Haha. I just wanted to let someone else enjoy what I get to enjoy.

As for Galen, he runs a business and with most businesses that need to make a living, you get better service if you're willing to pay for services. I offer a similar service, though far less involved but still I volunteer hundreds of hours of my own time for the joy of it as I have a regular job. I couldn't volunteer my time like that if it was my primary source of income. Like many small businesses, I'd be willing to bet Galen invested a lot of his own time and money (in the red) to just get the business off the ground. Support guys like Galen and our registries, you never know you might get a phone call some day from one of them saying they found your old Charger or paperwork (maybe an engine block) to your current one.

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

AKcharger

LaOtto70Charger

That is super cool with the kids. As a parent who brings his kids to shows thank You!  My kids have gotten the chance to sit in a few cars at shows. Typically the ones off the beaten path and often more unique cars.  I freak out more than the owners that will hurt something.  The owners often grinning ear to ear that young ones appreciate the vehicle.

AKcharger

My pal has this on his '67 Charger...I was amused

GMP440

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on December 09, 2020, 06:08:59 PM
Saw him taking pix of fender tags (including mine) at E-town way back.  He didn't ask, he just did what he wanted.    Saw a packet that a friend paid too much for on his '68 X that was just pedestrian knowledge.   I wasn't impressed.    I've never wasted much thought on anything he could do for me...  even if it was free. 

I can attest to this as well.  Same with me   I drove my 68 Coronet to a local car gathering in South Florida where I live.  A big Friday night gathering that would draw 600-700 cars every week.   As I arrived, backing into a spot I found, Galen started flashing pictures of the front of the car as I am backing in.  Half blinded by the flashes, I finished backing in and he walks right up ,taking pictures of the dash vin and I haven't gotten out of the car yet.    Got out of the car, opened the hood; he then takes pictures of the vin tag.  Doesn't even ask.   I agree with the previous posts that he a has a business and provides a service.  I'm fine with that,  But, it's the way he does things that angers people.  Funny thing is, it's just a 318 car.  So, he's probably doing a registry of not only highly collectible/desirable cars but one showing all Chrysler products vehicles.   There is a way to do things and a way not to do things. 

472 R/T SE

Quote from: GMP440 on August 28, 2021, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on December 09, 2020, 06:08:59 PM
Saw him taking pix of fender tags (including mine) at E-town way back.  He didn't ask, he just did what he wanted.    Saw a packet that a friend paid too much for on his '68 X that was just pedestrian knowledge.   I wasn't impressed.    I've never wasted much thought on anything he could do for me...  even if it was free.  

I can attest to this as well.  Same with me   I drove my 68 Coronet to a local car gathering in South Florida where I live.  A big Friday night gathering that would draw 600-700 cars every week.   As I arrived, backing into a spot I found, Galen started flashing pictures of the front of the car as I am backing in.  Half blinded by the flashes, I finished backing in and he walks right up ,taking pictures of the dash vin and I haven't gotten out of the car yet.    Got out of the car, opened the hood; he then takes pictures of the vin tag.  Doesn't even ask.   I agree with the previous posts that he a has a business and provides a service.  I'm fine with that,  But, it's the way he does things that angers people.  Funny thing is, it's just a 318 car.  So, he's probably doing a registry of not only highly collectible/desirable cars but one showing all Chrysler products vehicles.   There is a way to do things and a way not to do things.  

If I need help, it's our 1970 Charger Registry or David Wise.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 11, 2022, 04:27:54 PM

Regarding the 1970 registry....Don't make a comment there about Covid vaccines or the lIbtard owner will ban you without warning.

472 R/T SE

Really?

I had no idea.  

My Covid opinions been all over the place.  Only reason I got the 2 shots at first was I was gonna live with my un-vaccinated Mother.  I didn't wanna be accused of "killing" her.
ONLY had one flu shot, due to work.

Ive been mia for years now.  Im just trying to get back into it cause I got tired of politics and the constant battles with certain members & then my EX.  

Apparently things haven't changed.  We used to be all entitled to our opinions.  

Kern Dog

I used to post there faithfully....I have 2 '70 Chargers and am often working on them. I enjoyed posting reports on what I was doing. The forum isn't busy but there are some good people there. Don just took an instant disliking to my Covid comments in their OFF TOPIC forum and despite there being NO rule anywhere forbidding that topic, he banned me.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 11, 2022, 06:12:05 PM

Regarding the 1970 registry....Don't make a comment there about Covid vaccines or the lIbtard owner will ban you without warning.

::)
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

John_Kunkel

Awww, your obsession bit you in the pooper AGAIN?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 12, 2022, 11:53:51 AM

::)

Yeah, your opinion.

Have you ever had a personal experience with GG?

Im just relaying the crap I KNOW about him.
The Registry has a valuable app I use and I've bought up several of David Wises books.
Neither of which are arrogant.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 12, 2022, 04:49:20 PM
Yeah, your opinion.

The Registry has a valuable app I use and I've bought up several of David Wises books.

My reaction was not intended make any light of your situation/position on GG, it was directed at Kern Dog's response. Apologies if you took it that way. I should have edited the quote to remove your contribution and remove confusion as John_Kunkel did.

I've personally never met GG (or if I did I wouldn't know it I suppose) and I really don't want to. He seems vastly unimportant based upon what I've seen/heard over the years.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 13, 2022, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 12, 2022, 04:49:20 PM
Yeah, your opinion.

My reaction was not intended make any light of your situation/position on GG, it was directed at Kern Dog's response. Apologies if you took it that way. I should have edited the quote to remove your contribution and remove confusion as John_Kunkel did.

I've personally never met GG (or if I did I wouldn't know it I suppose) and I really don't want to. He seems vastly unimportant based upon what I've seen/heard over the years.

Yeah I thought we were cool.  I remember PMing with you right after you got your hot rod.

People change, opinions change.  

misty440

Can someone enlighten me on what exactly does Galen do for me? I have a fender tag and used the service manual to decipher it. What would he do with my fender tag information other than telling me what the manual shows? I have seen the services he offers and he will give a certificate but I dont understand the point? Is he confirming that the fender tag on a car is real and valid? Is that what this discussion was about? I never thought of paying for a piece of paper to hang on my garage wall showing the options that my car came with so I dont get this point?
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

Kern Dog

He was an important asset to the hobby 20 years ago when the information stream was but a mere trickle. Once the codes were made clear by other sources, he became irrelevant. Only the most pompous assclown now looks to him for authentication. When you hear a guy say...The car has been authenticated by Galen Govier, that guy never wrenches on cars and only talks the game without being a real player. Braggarts and high end collectors that do not actually drive their cars LIVE for the approval of this retard, Galen.

misty440

Thanks Kern Dog, years ago I thought that I needed registration certificate and when I looked at what he was asking for to get a certificate I would never provide those details along with asking for my address? seemed weird he would want all of my cars details and where I lived, I would be worried that one day my car would end up missing if his information got into the wrong hands, like the Gone in 60 seconds movie
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

Kern Dog

The guy developed a bad reputation when he started taking longer and longer to do the work that he was asked to do. He also had a bad habit of opening hoods to look at fender tags at car shows, moving stuff from dashboards to see the VINs, opening doors to look at the tags on 1970 and later cars...If I spotted a dude touching my car like he has done, I'd deliver a swift kick in his ass while he was bent over looking at the car. Simple manners says that you don't touch another person's property without permission.
My cars are not numbers matching rare ones but they are mine and I don't care to have strangers touching them.

John_Kunkel

The possible plus to GG is his access to data that might not be in the "information stream". Years ago a friend had his Hemi Road Runner researched by GG and he found documentation that came from archives about warranty work that explained why the car wasn't numbers matching...might be obscure info to some but valuable to an owner who wants the history of his car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.