News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Galen Govier - What Gives?

Started by Shakey, January 08, 2006, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marangen

well must admit I was disappointed. contacted him in 2001 for decoding + other info. he told me what to submit (carbon copy of vin etc) + 100 usd + adress etc.

I sent everything to him but nothing happened - ever....

sent him several emails (+ a letter) asking for confirmation about receipt, and clearly disappointing since his email worked (did get a reply or 2 with some excuse for silence etc)...

They just stopped replying in the end.

very surprising given his a standing!

Shakey

Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2006, 08:22:00 PM
He was fooled by that pilot Cuda convertible,and although the Mopar Collectors Guide tried to save face on that one,he was caught with his pants down!

Tell us more about this story please!

Shakey

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 08, 2006, 09:33:29 PM
It is kinda like Year One, you can go with the big name, or find the smaller guy that sells the same stuff.

True, however how many times / threads have you read that started like:

Does anyone know what's going on with so & so?  I sent them my order 4 weeks ago and I have not heard from them since.

Sometimes paying a bit extra gives you piece of mind.

Afflyer

Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Shakey on January 09, 2006, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: chargervert on January 08, 2006, 08:22:00 PM
He was fooled by that pilot Cuda convertible,and although the Mopar Collectors Guide tried to save face on that one,he was caught with his pants down!

Tell us more about this story please!

Yes, please.

I also heard through another party that he told someone with one of the Rapid Transit System Caravan cars that, in effect, they should get all the crap off of the car and get rid of the custom paint job, then there'd be something to look at...

I don't personally have any gripe with him and have never used his service, but it's stories like this that make me question the hype.

I think that it's good that he's been an integral part of making the hobby safer for everyone with regards to detecting fraud, but if it weren't him, it would have been someone else. In fact, someone else, entirely, steered me away from a business with a less than stellar reputation with regards to the very same issue. I don't think I would have gotten that information from Mr. Govier in time, if at all.

With all of these types of threads about how hard it is to do business with him, it just seems to me that he's like a car with a great big racing HEMI and no gas in the tank. Lots of potential, but useless to me at the moment.
I think the books were a way of off-loading some of the work backlog. Do it yourself instead of waiting for him. However, there's been a lot of talk swirling around that he intentially included mis-information in them to either keep himself useful and marketable or as further safeguard against fraud in the hobby (in order to trick the fraudulent, he had to try to trick everyone). If the mis-information rumour is true, and I don't have an opinion on that, then only he knows his motives for certain and, unfortunately, there are enough people out there that won't believe him no matter what they are.

I, personally, have determined that it doesn't matter to me at the moment. I don't have a high-buck car (but it's getting there if you add up the receipts.  :rotz: ), but if I ever do, and there's a question about it's history that I can't otherwise sort out myself, I'll use his service as PART of the investigation. I'll be sure to use as many sources as possible, though. As busy as he is, he is only one man and can't be expected to know everything.

The biggest issue is that people think he should know everything. I don't know if that's his fault or not. Some will say it is. Some will defend him. Further, too many of those that say he is the be-all and end-all of everything MOPAR won't hear of him being wrong even when clearly he is. THAT, I think, is the main reason why others will try and take him down a few notches. Whether that is right or not is not relevant. It serves as a check and balance to his "guru-ness" and that's not a bad thing. What's bad is the manner in which the check and/or balance is delivered. It doesn't have to be nasty - just factual and succinct. Of course, his response to these attacks speaks volumes about the level of his professionalism. Everyone can form their own opinion on that based on their view of the situation at hand at the time.

All that said, I don't know if I'm dissing him or defending him. I think I have stated things as I know them, and while not factual, they are based on word of mouth from real people, which is the only real way to determine reputation, in my opinion. That is really what he bases his whole business on.

..... Maybe it's just the hype that bothers me most...

69_500

His books are good to some people that I can say. But I personally don't know how he got the copywrite to be able to publish some of the stuff in his white books? The whole decoding of the fender tags, is simply reading a Dealer Data book and commiting it to memory. They tell what each code stands for.
People were decoding the fender tags back in the mid 70's on these cars from memory. I know of several people who have been decoding fender tags, buildsheets and such from before Galen was in this hobby. Now is he bad for the Hobby, no I don't think so. Is he the guru? If that is what he wants to call himself that is fine, but to me he isn't. He is the one most people go to with a question, is he always the most qualified NO>

Sublime/Sixpack

He did some work for me back in 1995. The service was good, and I felt that the cost was reasonable. But with what I hear now about how long it takes to hear back from him I'd think twice before going through him.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

topduarte

Never talked to him but heard that the first thing he asks when you call him is your credit card number! No "hello" or "how are you doing?", just give me your credit card number!!

Yes, he is a business man but you need to have some people skills.

I have no  use for him as I do not have a high dollar car.  As mentioned before, his main use is for the rich people wanting a $3,000,000 cuda!!

other than that his so called services are useless!!!

Just my $.02!!!

694spdRT

Quote from: Shakey on January 09, 2006, 07:50:27 AM
Quote from: 694spdRT on January 08, 2006, 09:33:29 PM
It is kinda like Year One, you can go with the big name, or find the smaller guy that sells the same stuff.

True, however how many times / threads have you read that started like:

Does anyone know what's going on with so & so?  I sent them my order 4 weeks ago and I have not heard from them since.

Sometimes paying a bit extra gives you piece of mind.

This is a little of topic but, the small guy I use, ships me the stuff with a bill. In the case of larger items I go pick up stuff to save on shipping.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chryco Psycho

I have talked with him twice in person , he treated me like a total idiot ... poorpoeple skills & just a little greedy

ChargerBill

I have read his articles in MCG and found him to be a bit dry and boring...and he does seem to be full of himself. I don't know him personally, but the general consensus sounds like he's not too personable or friendly.
Life is a highway...

chargervert

If you were MCG,and you were going to feature a 71 Cuda convertible on the cover of your magazine,and you had the numbers guru working for you,and you did a huge feature on this highly optioned pilot Cuda,theres no way they can tell me that Galen wouldn't have been all over that one! I saw him spend 2 hours looking over a guys 340 Cuda hardtop at Englishtown last year! That convert got by him,like a hockey goalie who sees the puck go right between his knees! As soon as the guy mailed the pictures in of the car being a fake,then it was Galen to the rescue! What a load of BS! I had a guy come up to me at Carlsile,and ask me where Galens spot was,I said why,do you have a rare car to decode,he told me,that he paid $55 K for a Galen certified car,that was a fake,and he was going to have some choice words with him! He said Galen verified the car sight unseen! Thats just what the guy said,not my opinion.

nascarxx29

Like 69 500 I was owning cars prior to GG existence in the hobby.But still read his stuff and have the white books and enjoy finding out more on our cars in this hobby .And like 500 we figured out the codes from the fender tag that matched the marked boxs on the buildsheet and knew them somewhat .And that those numbers were the last 2 digits in the boxes on the buildsheet are the part number.And I had those dealer parts catalogs .Where you could compare parts and part #s .That 69 valiant lights are used on a 69 daytona etc.I  send my unclaimed buildsheets his way and exchange info.And hope those sheets find there way to the guy missing it.He had asked me about that last 70 white red interior hemi cuda conv pw car .That had been in NJ chained up.I knew of from the 80-s.When there was articles in the works in mcg about.Searching for the last hemi ragtop.Thats sold for $465K.When I would read something he did a story on .Like it was mentioned you wouldnt see a 70charger with AC and 4 speed.So I sent him my buildsheet .Same goes for a 70 Super bee with PW and AC.I sent that build sheet .And one for a non RT 69 charger that had W23 recall wheels.I would sent that info in as well .He apprecaited it as well.And would answer my questions.I emailed or asked in person. I have had no bad experiences with him.Other then he one busy guy.So you might have to wait
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

dkn1997

He decoded my tag and made me a repro one years ago, same story as everyone else, great job but took forever (6 months back in '97)

I would not begrudge anyone making money for knowledge.  that's what we all do in one way or another.  we make money because we know something someone else does not.  So all the crybabys should stifle it about him making a buck on the hobby.  What is not right is him advertising services and taking forever to deliver.   either treat it as a hobby and get to it when you get to it, or treat it like a business and do the right thing for your customers and deliver the goods in something resembling a reasonable time frame.  I know he does not charge you until he is close to mailing it too you, but people are usually waiting for this stuff so it's really not fair.

With all due respect to the people who say they know him and are friends with him, the whole "understaffed" excuse does not fly with me..    If he cannot afford  help , then the price needs to be raised so he can.  I certianly would pay more for his knowledge than I would for someone else offering the same services.

and anyone out there who does not understand why he is disliked by some should pick up a copy of MCG.  I don't know what he's like personally, but he really comes off badly in those columns. 

If I had a high dollar car I needed to decode, you bet your ass I would be on the phone with him paying him, but for the guy with the  with a 318  red/black top 2nd gen, go somewhere else.
RECHRGED

moparjohn

I meet him 3 times this past year, once at Englishtown- he was taking measurements of my vinyl top to povide a fellow sunroof car owner with  correct size of seams for a replacement top (to his knowledge my top is the original on the car). The second time at Madison Wi, at the Charger meet- I drove into the parking lot at the hotel and he came over and said "John did you drive all the way from N. J.? amd then asked me to join him and other Charger owners at the meet for dinner ( and I'm NOT registered with him or a high dollar car Hemi or whathave you) The last time was at Carlisle where he sold me a correct radiator for my car that was reasonable, Much  less than some at the swaps.     The last thing happed in Wi. , I can say is that he IS a car guy- After 2 days of travel my car was dirty- He had intoduced me to another Mopar fan in Madison that lived locally-the three of us went back to his place and washed my car- Yes he helped wash/dry my car so it was ready to show next day. Say what you will, I think he's OK.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69fuchs

He can't be that bad....his favorite car is a 69 charger!!!

nascarxx29

John sure does get around in his 69 sunroof charger.Ive seen it a various places in south jersey
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Shakey

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 09, 2006, 09:38:02 PM
John sure does get around in his 69 sunroof charger.Ive seen it a various places in south jersey

I heard he drove it to TX too!   :D

Shakey

Quote from: moparjohn on January 09, 2006, 09:09:51 PM
the three of us went back to his place and washed my car- Yes he helped wash/dry my car

Please don't tell us that he was wearing a Speedo and giggling as he chased you around the car trying to spray you with the hose!

FastbackJon

I also don't like how he collects information for free and then charges people who want to talk to him about it. Happened to me personally. He had an article in MCG asking about build dates of '66 mopars. Well since I run the '66 registry and keep that information, I emailed him a bunch of it, no problem. A few months go by and I shoot him an email asking a question, and he promply turns around and asks for my credit card number.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

RD

Quote from: FastbackJon on January 09, 2006, 10:10:09 PM
I also don't like how he collects information for free and then charges people who want to talk to him about it. Happened to me personally. He had an article in MCG asking about build dates of '66 mopars. Well since I run the '66 registry and keep that information, I emailed him a bunch of it, no problem. A few months go by and I shoot him an email asking a question, and he promply turns around and asks for my credit card number.

holy cow... that is not cool at all.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

69_500

Like I said, he does a service for the hobby.

To dkn1997, I have to say this. It seems foolish to me to explain to someone how I would be willing to pay even more for one person to decode my fender tag than it would to have someone else do it. Regardless of their name. Decoding is decoding. Its not difficult, its not something you need a decoder ring to do. And as far as making you another fender tag, if you already had one, then its really easy to make a second one, from many different companies for cheaper prices. As a matter of fact GTS doesn't do the tags themselves, they sub it out to another company which you can go directly to for cheaper. So it would be  the same tag.

John, I was there when you got the radiator. That was very nice of him. Even nice of him to tell you that he had one in Englishtown, and then to remember to bring it to another show. He does do things that are great for the hobby. My only gripe is that he isn't the one and only source of information in this hobby. There are tons of very knowledgable people in this hobby.

chargervert

I think alot of his problem,is that the hobby has grown faster than expected,and he cannot keep up by himself! I don't think he should be verifing cars he has not seen in person. Also as in the case of the 71 cuda pilot car,the fakes are getting done so well,that theres bound to be a few that get by you!

69_500

The hobby has definately taken off in the past 10 years. It has exploded.

It is way too big of a job for 1 single individual to be considered the GURU of all the information out there. It is nice to have a central figure however. It would only work if all the registries, and people who are knowledgeable would work together and share information. I don't like how sometimes I hear about Galen taking praise for something IE saying a car is a fake, or real, when he didn't do the actual work. I think he should be willing to give credit where credit is due. If someone else points out a car is a fake he should say that, and not try to take credit for it.

dkn1997

Quote from: 69_500 on January 10, 2006, 06:49:10 AM
Like I said, he does a service for the hobby.

To dkn1997, I have to say this. It seems foolish to me to explain to someone how I would be willing to pay even more for one person to decode my fender tag than it would to have someone else do it. Regardless of their name. Decoding is decoding. Its not difficult, its not something you need a decoder ring to do. And as far as making you another fender tag, if you already had one, then its really easy to make a second one, from many different companies for cheaper prices. As a matter of fact GTS doesn't do the tags themselves, they sub it out to another company which you can go directly to for cheaper. So it would be  the same tag.

I  meant  that I would pay more for his knowledge than someone else who is not recognized in the hobby by pretty much everyone.  When I said Services, I did not mean decoding and making tags,, I meant the service of verifying an entire car.   If you  read a little further in my post, you would have read:

"If I had a high dollar car I needed to decode, you bet your ass I would be on the phone with him paying him, but for the guy with the  with a 318  red/black top 2nd gen, go somewhere else."

by knowledge, I mean that any yahoo can fake a tag, but if I was buying something for huge money I would want to confer with an expert  about the entire car.  If that much money was on the line, I could care less about the man's personality, I would have him on plane and under the car before you could say "boo"  I am talking 6 figure cars here.

knowing his turnaround time, like I said before, for the average car, I would go somewhere else.  I don't think you meant anything by it, but I would appreciate it if you could  keep the "foolish" comments to yourself, especially in light of the fact that you did not fully comprehend what I wrote.

RECHRGED