News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Hemi charger 500 only $249.000

Started by nascarxx29, January 08, 2006, 06:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Seem a little high ::)

**Inactive Link Removed**
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Shakey

Shakey

Here is the ad from Hemmings with some more details.

**Inactive Link Removed**

nascarxx29

nakita7

69_500

A little high? When a year ago it was listed at $170K, which was extremely high at that time too.

jaak

Wakko

Needs an 01 and rebel flag, if you ask me.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

69_500

I don't get it. How do you expect to get $250K for a car  that was advertised last year as being origional paint and this and that, and now it has been shown to have been restored. If it was a survivor then I would say $250K is fine, still high but understandable.

XXHEMI

I sold that car in 2001 for 45k (What a mistake). Needed a car with a four speed? Wish I had it back it was a good car.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: XXHEMI on January 11, 2006, 06:21:42 PM
I sold that car in 2001 for 45k (What a mistake). Needed a car with a four speed? Wish I had it back it was a good car.
Do you have an aero car now?

Oh & welcome to the site. :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69_500

So Ed, is that when you purchased your Bronze 500? Or did you have that one before that?

How is the restoration of the R6 HEMI 500 coming along? I had talked to the previous owner about that car multiple times. He wasn't ever interested in selling it, until after he had sold the B5 blue HEMI 500 he had. Now i guess he has sold both of them.

XXHEMI

69 500

I had the T5 car before I sold the R4 car and thats what made it easy at the time to sell it. But it was a bad mistake! That red car was pretty much all original except for the paint job and it turned a lot more heads then the T5 car did. I had a thing about having only 4 spd cars and the fact  that I had a 4spd 500 (And back then even though they where my favorite car  they where not that popular) I thought I was doing the right thing.Four years later I found the R6 car and hope to have it ready for Brice road in Aug. The shop thats it in does great work but they don't seem to be as agressive as I am. Anyway I am looking foward to having both 500's done and in the same garage and the T5 car will still be my favorite!

Ghoste

Does ANY shop finish when you think they will (or want them to or say they will or...)? :P

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2006, 06:56:38 AM
Does ANY shop finish when you think they will (or want them to or say they will or...)? :P

NO.  ::)

Welcome to the site Ed.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69_500

That would be sweet to be able to walk out to a garage and see those two 500's sitting side by side.  That is definately a sweet combination you have there. Did you see his B5 blue HEMI 500 4 speed car that he had the year before he decided to sell the R6 car? I believe it was the HEMI 500 that used to be at R&R in the 80's. I'm not positive on that one, but I had heard that.
Your T5 bronze car is gorgeous. I have seen it multiple times at shows, and I'm always impressed with it. I was really suprised at this years Mopar nationals to see 2 HEMI Bronze 500's. When I saw one driving through I thought it was yours, and then realized that it was Jerry's car from Missouri. Also a gorgeous car. Both make my car look bad, then again it doesn't take much to do that. I haven't seen many 500's at shows that are in the condition of mine. Everyone I've seen at shows has been restored. Mine needs a lot of work, but one of these days.

Highbanked Hauler

Wow thats a little less than what I am planning on paying for a house in NC.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

Quote from: 69_500 on January 13, 2006, 08:28:50 AM
Both make my car look bad, then again it doesn't take much to do that. I haven't seen many 500's at shows that are in the condition of mine. Everyone I've seen at shows has been restored. Mine needs a lot of work, but one of these days.

Your car isn't that bad.  It may not be at the standard you have planned for it yet but it's a damn nice car!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on January 13, 2006, 08:28:50 AM
Both make my car look bad, then again it doesn't take much to do that. I haven't seen many 500's at shows that are in the condition of mine. Everyone I've seen at shows has been restored. Mine needs a lot of work, but one of these days.

Danny, come on man.... Your C500 looks good.. Believe me,,,, Dana's no where near to the condition of Ed's T5. I've never seen the R6 other the picks that the previous owner had, Pete?  At any rate, my friend, you have a real C500... Patience my friend, you WILL have a freshly restored C500 one day......  In the meantime, enjoy like I'm doing.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Don't get me wrong its not a horrible car. I wasn't meaning to come accross like that. But to me its just a driver car, but it really needs quite a bit to be up to what I'd really like in a driver car. It is heads and shoulders above the Bronze Sunroof car I sold to move up to the 500 however.
I'll put it this way, my car is a good maybe 20-30 footer. If you get closer than that, you can see the bubbles in the lower quarters, dents and dings here and there on the car. Interior is pretty good overall. Only noticible problems is the upper door pads are cracked, along with the front arm rest, and the rear window trim is gone on the inside.
Ed's car is gorgeous. I saw the R6 car once in person, and it wasn't that bad in my opinion. I know it needed a paint job to really be up to show quality, but was very presentable before then. I was told at one time that it was the origional paint on the car, but later told I think it had 1 repaint. Now my 500 had a repaint in the mid 70's and it desperately needs another one. The color is way off from a factory R4, it has way more of an orange tint than R4 should.

Ghoste

I kind of like the idea of a 69 500 driver.  :icon_smile_big:

Silver R/T

i think a house would be a better investment for that price, even though Im sure i would enjoy driving the car summers
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 14, 2006, 09:05:17 PM
i think a house would be a better investment for that price, even though Im sure i would enjoy driving the car summers

With a house you keep paying every month and in most cases only get back what you put in.  the C500 will (should)(i hope) gain vaule faster than the house.  Well. its probably a wash, but the C500 has value anywhere... the house only has value in the city that its in..

OK, i'm done being captain obvious for the night....  (too many Makers Marks... hehehehe)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

Yeah the car has a broader appeal than a house in a certain area. People like houses for locations and such. People go after cars for many reasons. A C500 will always have appeal to someone somewhere. Now a house in an area, after many years might not appeal to anybody anymore.

I'd invest as much money in a car as I would a house if it was possible.

chargervert

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2006, 08:39:02 PM

Thats what mines gonna be,only it grew a wing,and a nose!

69_500

Yeah I like the thought of my car evolving too, but just can't bring myself to do that. But ask me again in 10 years, and if I don't have a real Daytona by then, I just might be doing the same thing Pete.

69Charger500

I've thought about this too off and on over the years (evolving the 500 into a Daytona).  Ultimately, the 500 is a rare car, and each year I get less of the "hey, you've got the wrong grille" comments when it's out and about.

Now I enjoy the seemingly new awareness of what the 500s really are, and their place in Mopar history as something more than a car "that didn't quite do it."

I am content to leave well enough alone for the time being, although it may not be a bad idea to pick up a few Daytona odds and ends.  Especialy with prices continually on the rise, and parts getting more scarce every day.

Now a 528 crate Hemi?  That is a different story altogether.  As soon as I have a few extra dollars, that nicely restored 440 is going to take a rest on an engine stand for a while.  The four speed and Super Trak Pak Dana 4.10 are just dying for a little HP boost.  And a couple of little Hemi emblems on the doors wouldn't look too bad either!

A Hemi 500 is one of my all time favorite Mopars, and it's only about $15,000 out of my reach right now!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure a Daytona would not fit in my garage!  What is the overall length of those things, by the way?

69_500

Is that your 500, in its current shape and form? Gorgeous ride.

So the thinking is to drop in a crate 528 HEMI huh and have a little fun? Now  that is more like it. I'd love to drop in a HEMI in mine, and just cruise, but the money part of it is what is holding me back.

69Charger500

That pic is about 5 years old, but it looks the same (just under a car cover right now!)  It is a really nice looking, solid car, that most people thing is "perfectly restored," but would in fact require a complete resto to be worthy of Mopar Nats style judging.

Anyway, I've done that before (completely restored a perfectly good car), and although the end result was phenomenal, all it did was make me afraid to drive it, and then I ultimately sold it because I could not bear the wear and tear it suffered at my hands (have to drive 'em, you know).  Every little stone chip and rain storm I got caught in made me sick.

69_500

See to me, I'd just like to have my car up to where your 500 is. Where it is presentable, but in as far as judging at the Nats is concerned that I could care less. I just want a car that at a Mopar show would score in the 80-90 range. I don't want a 100 point car, and I definately don't want a car that will win GOLD OE judging or anything like that. I want to drive my car and enjoy it.

As of now, my car is about a 55-60 point car. It needs quite a bit to get to where I want it, but it is still a thrill to drive.

69Charger500

Call me crazy, but I've got a thing for Chargers with a few battle scars.  I don't know of any other car I could say that about, except maybe a '69 Six-Pak Bee.

Those cars wear their age well, and I'm hoping to find a nice '68 or '69 R/T that needs a little work, for a decent price.  I think it would look good parked next to the 500, and tearing up the roads as well!

Almost bought a Dark Green '69 Hemi Charger for $9000 a few years ago ('99 I think).  It was rough, and minus engine and trans, but wouldn't that be a cool car to drive around "waiting" for the money to re-do it right?

Mike

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2006, 08:39:02 PM

So did I till I got it halfway up on a guardrail in Penn.and tore up some good sheetmetal.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

But where is it safe?  A trailer could get mowed down by a transport driver working three logbooks and no sleep in the last 48 hours.  Even your garage could burn down.
Not that I'm not sympathetic.  I am and I honestly can't answer what I'd do with a car like that.  I like to think that I'd drive a 71 four speed Hemi Cuda vert if I owned one.  When it's actually your investment on the line though...

69Charger500

Highbanked Hauler

If you are going to drive it make sure that your insurance is bullet proof(which mine wasn't) or you can accept the loss.I do agree that there are circumstances beyond anybodies controll.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

The trick occurs in a case where somebody bought their 69 Hemi 500 five years ago.  Or better yet, fifteen years ago.  Today, that is a rich man's car hence the topic of this thread.  Can the guy who bought it fifteen years ago afford the loss as ably as the guy who buys it today?  Obviously not.  The Mopar hobby is changing very quickly all around us.

Highbanked Hauler

:iagree: and not for the better either. :icon_smile_sad:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69Charger500

Well that is a good topic as well.  I bought my 500 in '99 for $13,000, and it is insured for $20K with Haggerty (agreed value, I think).  I know I should increase this now, but to what?  Old Car Price Guide says my car in #3 condition is $21,500, but they have always seemed way low to me on Mopar prices.

What is a '69 500 in "very good" condition (per OCPG guidelines) worth these days?

T5 6X 440, 4 Speed, Super Trak Pak, AM, Console; upgraded with an SE interior

Ghoste

A little more than 13,000. :icon_smile_big:

I'll give you twice what you paid for it.  Does that help?

Highbanked Hauler

I got mine appraised at Carlisle last summer and they came up with 41K which I thought was short but I couldn't argue because of the present sheetmetal on the front.It seems that 500s in the last 2 years  have finally caught the updraft in prices to get up closer to the Daytonas and Birds.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69Charger500

HH:  What are the details on yours?

Highbanked Hauler

If you haven't seen this before the site is ,        www.1969charger500.com                     had to check it to be sure it was still there. That will tell you a lot.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69Charger500

Nice looking car!  Don't see too many 500s in B5--looks great in that color!

That wreck must have made you sick........

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks, it was more that I dodged a bullet,the top of the guardrail sliced through the Tbar crossmember and pushed the gass lines out of the way in doing so.The car could have gotten toasted and I don't know how far it was to the bottom on the other side of the guardrail.It was 50 ft. anyway.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nascarxx29

Who recalls one of or both of these bronze 500s one 426 car and other a 440 at mopar carlisle.Having wing holes deleted on there 1/4s.

69Charger500

Meaning they used to be daytonas??????

Ghoste:  I have been tempted before, and gave in.  I sold my '71 383 Mag (N-Code all numbers matching fully loaded Challenger convertible, even AC and Block Heater) for $23K in '99 in order to to buy the 500.  It was 4 times what I paid for it 11 years prior, even though I had about $23K total in the car by that time.  Oh yeah, and it was FE5 with the rare hood moulding and white R/T-Like stripes, and Rallye gauges.

I hope not to make the same mistake again!!!!!!!!!

XXHEMI

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 16, 2006, 04:16:57 PM
Who recalls one of or both of these bronze 500s one 426 car and other a 440 at mopar carlisle.Having wing holes deleted on there 1/4s.
My 500 has the holes on the top of the quarters and the holes in the truck floor for the wing brackets! I have talked to the two previous owners and they did not know what I was talking about.I was never able to track the original owner to ask him if he had installed a wing at any time but he was an older gentleman that bought the car for himself on his 50th birthday so it does not seem he would have done this.The car still has 100% of the original interior and only has one repaint from 1985 right before the original owners sold it.Also the repair to cover the holes was done so badly that it does make sense that anyone owning this car would have done such a poor job.There are four small pieces of what looks like white alum.siding with bondo on them stuck right to the under side of the quarters.The car was one of the last few 500 made has anyone else run in to this??
Thanks Ed

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 16, 2006, 02:56:20 PM
If you haven't seen this before the site is ,        www.1969charger500.com                     had to check it to be sure it was still there. That will tell you a lot.
That's the first time I've seen the whole story on your 500. That sucks, but I'm glad it wasn't worse.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

XXHEMI

I think that it is possible that this happened before the original owner took the car from the dealer. Or someone was thinking of turning it into a Daytona at one point! Who knows? Take a look at the repairs from inside the trunk a real quickie

69_500

I haven't ever run into anything like that. But I do know of a few 500's that were made into Daytona's years ago, due to the prices of Daytona's being way more than a 500 would bring. So people added a wing, nose cone, and front fenders to make it into a Daytona. Same XX vin tag and such so not many people back then would have known.

I never knew that your 500 had wing holes repaired in the quarters Ed. Your car is absolutely gorgeous though. For 1 repaint, it sure looks awsome.

Now as far as Al's 500 in concerned and hitting the guardrail, that is a travesty. I don't tend to think of things like that when I'm driving my 500 to shows. If it did, then I probably woudln't drive it. As far as the comment about if someone bought a car 15 years ago, would they be willing to drive the car to a show? I think yes. They have a lot less in the car than someone who buys it now. However the argument can also be made that someone who has the money to buy one at todays prices probably has the money to repair it too.

As far as the value of a 500 for insurance reasons. I just had my 500 insurance raised to $60K. Sent in pictures to show the exterior, interior, engine compartment, trunk, both sides of the car, under carriage, an they not only agreed on the $60K price, but recommended going to $80K. So as far as Troy's 500, or even 69Charger500's car, I'd say both of those cars could be insured for $80K+ easily.