News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX 500 calif car research

Started by XS29LA47V21, May 13, 2011, 11:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

I recently purchased a 500 understood to be purchased new at Bob Wills Dodge in Salinas, Calif.  The car apparently left California around 1984 towards FLA.  I was dreaming to network and meet other Charger people and maybe find information or someone who might know or remember the car in California, original owner, pictures, worked at the dealership or anything. I also have a second car thought to be California car.  I am in the process of submitting to CA DMV to do that research.  Do you have any ideas or people I could visit with?   The 500 is black with red int and red strip.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jason

tan top

hello & welcome  Jason  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  would love to see pictures & stuff some time  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

Welcome, There are several people with a real good grasp on aero car history that will most likely be able to help!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

Welcome Jason....
Congrad's on the C500.. They are cool to say the least... Your color combination sounds great, but you made all-too-common-beginner's-ooppppssss, no pictures !!!!!!   :icon_smile_big:

From one C500 owner to another, enjoy !!!!

We are all here to help each other, so if you have questions, feel free to ask away...

PS: Does your C500 have N95 on the fender tag? Sometimes that's a reference to the "Emissions Control" option mandated by California...

Jim,, we have our newest CB (C500 Bastard)............  Jason, it's a figure of speech we have here in the aero section for the most recent purchaser of an aero... We have DB's, CB's and SB's..  :cheers:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WB General Lee

moparchris

Congrat's on the C500.  They are very cool cars.  I also tried the Ca. MVD to try and trace my 68 Hemi Charger which was sold new in Southern Ca.  They replied that their records did not go back that far.  I have also been told by a Ca. MVD agent that Ca. deletes cars out of their data base after a 5 year period of inactivity.  If you find any ways to track your history, please share as others who have similair cars would like to know.

RallyeMike

QuoteThe 500 is black with red int and red strip

I'm guessing this was the car on eBay recently with 440/727, PW and AC?  Super cool  :coolgleamA:.
I was drooling over those photos for awhile.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XS29LA47V21

Thank you.  Indeed it has found a loving home and my wife knows I am nuts.  I have been looking for a nice colored 500 or Daytona for sometime.  N95 is not on the tag.  What items would be correct or indicate a calif car.  It has chrome tips on it, although may not be original to car.  Someone had told me long ago that Calif cars would not have exhaust tips, but I do not know that for sure.   

The short story is:  It is the car that was on ebay earlier this year.  The car has matching motor, not trans with mostly original paint (past owner buffed it) and it is stacked with more options then most RTSEs. 

tan top

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on May 13, 2011, 02:44:17 PM
Thank you.  Indeed it has found a loving home and my wife knows I am nuts.  I have been looking for a nice colored 500 or Daytona for sometime.  N95 is not on the tag.  What items would be correct or indicate a calif car.  It has chrome tips on it, although may not be original to car.  Someone had told me long ago that Calif cars would not have exhaust tips, but I do not know that for sure.  

The short story is:  It is the car that was on ebay earlier this year.  The car has matching motor, not trans with mostly original paint (past owner buffed it) and it is stacked with more options then most RTSEs.  

i remember that  C500 now !!  :drool5: :drool5:   :yesnod: :coolgleamA: think i save loads of Ebay pictures somewhere

california car  should have a twin snorkel  air cleaner  , & no tips  ! but turn downs !  i also think i read somewhere they got different advance curve in the distributor  & different carburettor or metering rods or jets   , but don't quote me on the last two ! as i might be getting mixed up with something else i have read ! remembering it now thinking its part of the california noise reduction package :slap: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XS29LA47V21

It's lic tag & windshield insp tag are dated 78 or 79 out of Calif, a lot can happen in +/-9 years of a cars life, but it has factory chrome tips and a unsilenced air cleaner on it now.

C500

That's a great looking 500. I remember seeing it on ebay....you got it for a very good price too  :2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

nascarxx29

Is that the R Yarnell charger 500.Car was a topic on here.Nice car
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Isn't that the C500 from West Palm Beach?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

XS29LA47V21

yes, it is the car out of FLA.   The car was under the radar for awhile but known to some.  Does anyone know the individual that it was purchased from in Calif back in the 80s 

Patronus

I too have seen this car. You are a very lucky man.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

LeeBoy

My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

WINGR

Congrats, nice rare C500. Enjoy :2thumbs:

richRTSE

Congrats!  :cheers:  So, what are your plans for it now? 

XS29LA47V21

Thank you.  Likely against popular trends and scolding herein, I have no intention anytime soon doing a full nut bolt resto.  I purchased it for its colors, options with survivor qualities, the body has lots of dents everywhere, int old but decent, I intend to leave as much of the car original or with original old pcs, chase a nice outside repaint and drive it..

There seems to be 3 items less consistent with other 500s (two Calif car items), all easily attached years ago if desired by someone is the unsilenced air cleaner, chrome tips and it has  the wide al. later style rocker molding, not the thin 68 pcs?  Does anyones 500 have the later style rocker moldings?  Anyone have any nice original red interior pcs they do not need?

RallyeMike

Frankly, it looks like several of those dents can be massages back close to where the sheet metal used to be.

I like your plan. There is always the promise of a restoration in the future. You can only marvel at the originality once.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

UFO

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on May 17, 2011, 10:23:03 AM
Anyone have any nice original red interior pcs they do not need?

PM me what pcs you need. I parted out a '69 with a red interior and quite a few pcs are still here.

XS29LA47V21

The Charger emblem on front grill is not flush/flat with the 500 emblem and has a batter/slope to it, but appears correct by photos I have seen of other 500s and my understanding.  Could anyone confirm what Charger year - emblem & location is that emblem used on.  (mine is pitted some, looking to replace mine).  Thanks

UFO

According to the parts book,it's the same one as on a 68 charger tail light panel.
Shall I add it to your list of wanted parts?

XS29LA47V21

Cool, makes sense it came off earlier car. thanks you

Brock Samson

XS29LA47V21

Regarding California research, what I found.  OK, so California accepted my money and returned my California official "certified documents" noting "vin record not on file" with a second letter noting "no record".  The car still has black California plates on it and a California inspection sticker still on the windshield from 1974 so I am reasonable sure ... it was in California at some point.  What I learned is their research-files do not go that far back unless the registration is maintain and are purged after so many years.   :bawling:

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on June 01, 2011, 03:40:19 PM
Regarding California research, what I found.  OK, so California accepted my money and returned my California official "certified documents" noting "vin record not on file" with a second letter noting "no record".  The car still has black California plates on it and a California inspection sticker still on the windshield from 1974 so I am reasonable sure ... it was in California at some point.  What I learned is their research-files do not go that far back unless the registration is maintain and are purged after so many years.   :bawling:
nice of them to take your money anyway
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on June 01, 2011, 03:40:19 PM

That sucks....  Don't give up...
Troy

nascarxx29

How long was car in Fl.Any vehicle history there

XS29LA47V21

Two owners back to the mid-early 1980's.  Reasonably sure that by appearances that areas of the front of the car were repainted likely either in California prior to that sale or in the mid 1980s in S.FLA. The back appears original creative Ind. paint areas, including paint tapering off on the roof etc.  My guess is couple panels painted to sell back then in Calif.

nascarxx29

Being as motor vehicle searches havent been much help. Have you tried Galen or Dave at PCG .They might have the page of the 500 shiplist list.With your cars dealer and location in CA.

RECHRGD

For WIW, I bought a California car ('68 R/T) new in 1968.  It came with the chrome tips.  Don't know about the 500's or '69's though.
13.53 @ 105.32

XS29LA47V21

Cool, Thanks for the info, not suprising to me, it does seem likely that if a buyer told the saleman if it has tips or un-silenced air cleaner I'll buy it, the dealer would probably put it on....... or if car the originally delivered to another state and then ended up being shipped to a Calif dealer where it sold new that those pcs would likely stay on the car.   Just guessing really.
In regards to the selling new dealer it was apparently from Bob Wills Dodge in Salinas, Calif. information from Galen/previous owner as I recall.  I have not talked to Dave/PCG in many years, good idea, Thanks
So it is reasonably easy to recognize a X9 red int car V88 would "clearly" have a red stripe.  So is there any documented Daytona/500s black on black with a red stripe or are all those white stripe cars? 

RECHRGD

Well, I special ordered my car from Pasadena Dodge, so they knew it was going to California from the get go.  The chrome tips were standard on the R/T, so I would have been disappointed if it didn't get delivered with them.
13.53 @ 105.32

XS29LA47V21

The no chrome tips on RTs/500s etc always seemed a little far fetched that it was that controlled by either the state or the manufacture to make those changes prior to cars selling.  Any chance you know some mopar guy in the area my car apparently sold new that might recall cars back then?

ksquared

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on June 07, 2011, 03:52:54 PM

So it is reasonably easy to recognize a X9 red int car V88 would "clearly" have a red stripe.  So is there any documented Daytona/500s black on black with a red stripe or are all those white stripe cars?  

I too wondered about that, and was misled by the Charger Restoration Guide by Paul Herd.  On Page 155 it states, "Red stripe was used only on cars with red interior and black or white exterior."  I now believe that statement is false.

I have seen the Don Hicks Hemi Daytona, which is now restored by Steve Fox:  
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15942.0.html    
I don't know if it has been 100% proven though that this Black/Black Interior/Red Wing Stripe had a red wing originally.  Here is another thread on the car's history: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=74362.0

However, there is this Hemi Charger 500, Black/Black Interior/Red Wing Stripe, in the 1969 Charger Registry Gallery with 180 original miles: http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/Charger500/11132388308088_1 It doesn't seem likely that a car with such low mileage would have the stripe color switched.  

Here is another possible example, by Kiwi68 on this thread, http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=77912.0 that looks like it is Black/Black Interior/Red Wing Stripe.  I don't know if the Black Hemi 500 in the original post of that thread has a black interior though.

Also, I believe it was nascarxx29, who stated that it was possible to specify wing stripe color when ordering a Daytona or Charger 500.

69_500

The HEMI 500 that is X9 with a black gut, and a red stripe that has 180 miles on it is not a given that it had a red stripe on it from the factory. Earliest pictures I have of the car are from the mid 70's and the car doesn't have a stripe on it at all  in the pictures. And it was at nearly 180 miles then. With many dents and dings as it brushed the wall going down a drag strip.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: RECHRGD on June 07, 2011, 03:58:52 PM
Well, I special ordered my car from Pasadena Dodge, so they knew it was going to California from the get go.  The chrome tips were standard on the R/T, so I would have been disappointed if it didn't get delivered with them.
My parents ordered a new 68 Charger R/T from Atlantic Dodge in Los Angeles and it had chrome tips also.  I have pictures of the day they got it.   Our 69 Daytona sold new in Los Angeles and it also had chrome tips.  You could defiantly get tips in CA in 69.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

XS29LA47V21

bump.   :shruggy:

So, what about WW lists, anyone have one they could look at, is my car on them?    Still surfing for Calif connections to someone who may have additional information, photos or maybe the real build sht?