News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on wax coating

Started by bull, January 08, 2006, 07:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

My bodyman has recently started using the new-fangled technique of wax coating metal in hidden areas. Well, I don't really know how new it is but the auto industry uses it to help prevent rust in certain hidden areas during assembly. Anyway, have any of you body shop guys used this method with success?

Troy

Aircraft resorers do it all the time since most old airplane frames are tube steel and you can't get inside with paint or primer. I think that people in England and other wet climates have been using linseed oil or some sort of wax for a long time. I'll have to see if I can dig up the old links that I had.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

So it isn't new. Well, I've gotten used to clarifying my statements to avoid embarrassing myself too much and it seems to be working. ;) I wonder how new it is to the auto industry? Anyway, it's plenty wet here in northwestern Orygun so it should work ok. The only problem I could see would be over-application that could gum up things you don't want gummed up. Wax has no negative effect on metal that I know of.

parkerswede

Tractor trailer manufacturers have sprayed a kind of wax on truck frames for years rather than painting them. Seems to work fairly well.

ck1

weird, I thought, well if your were painting your car and I don't mean over a waxed surface but anywere else on a car would still mean fish eyes? or is this done after a car is painted?  I just remember long time ago when working at a body shop wax, silicone products, and wd40 was not allowed in our shop and a car had to be clean of wax before body work or painting which was very tuff to get all of with out still getting fish eyes..........
CJK

bull

Quote from: ck1 on January 09, 2006, 04:49:04 PM
weird, I thought, well if your were painting your car and I don't mean over a waxed surface but anywere else on a car would still mean fish eyes? or is this done after a car is painted?  I just remember long time ago when working at a body shop wax, silicone products, and wd40 was not allowed in our shop and a car had to be clean of wax before body work or painting which was very tuff to get all of with out still getting fish eyes..........

It sounded as if he does it after the painting is done.

hemihead

I think he is referring to Cosmoline.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

plum500

Stuff up here called FluidFilm does a great job. I believe the popular British product is Waxoyl. There are also a number of recipies floating around the net -- pretty straightforward to make a home made version...here's the first one I came across, though I don't have any expertise as to what might make one better than the other. But just for example: http://www.geocities.com/wallaces_21/waxoyl.html

But I find the FluidFilm stuff is great. Filled my frame with it, though I still use the lighter Rust Check stuff to spray in those hard to reach areas where the gaps might be real small, -- depend on it creeping into everywhere.

Anyhoo. Just my 2cents.

Doc74

That's Dinitrol and the likes, cavity wax.You can make it yourself so I've heard mixing grease with old oil, too messy for me but you can try, as long as it's not too runny, I've heard the stories about cars dripping the stuff for weeks  ;D
It has indeed been used for years and the more expensive makes like Audi really cover every inch that's not painted in thick strong wax, rust doesn't have much chance against that as these cars prove.Altough they also do have galvanized steel parts and aluminum bodies now, that kinda helps too  :icon_smile_big:

Since my charger will be a daily the underside will be completely covered in a stoneguard paint with every inner framerail and everything non visible under the trunk and hood covered in wax, same goes with doors and quarters, just before you install the doorpanels you wax everything thoroughly.

http://www.dinitrol.com/