News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Used Dana vs. New? (NEW PICS)

Started by JerseyJoe, May 09, 2011, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyJoe

I just got off the phone with a guy who's selling an original Dana rear with, "new 3.54's but it slips a little when turning left".
     I would put 4.10's in it and most likely replace the clutches, should I just buy an S60 at this point?
It's going in a '70 with a 493 and 4-speed  :drive:

six-tee-nine

Depends on what you can do yourself. If you can find an original Dana you can haul home yourself and fully rebuild yourself then you probably can save some money.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

gtx6970

to me it depends on the price difference between the 2 and/or IF you absolutely HAVE to have an original

You have to figure the costs differential on the used one, plus add in the parts and time to rebuld it versus costs and freight on the new one

JerseyJoe

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 09, 2011, 02:11:54 PM
to me it depends on the price difference between the 2 and/or IF you absolutely HAVE to have an original

You have to figure the costs differential on the used one, plus add in the parts and time to rebuld it versus costs and freight on the new one

Well, I'm going to see it tomorrow morning. Asking price is less than $1000. Story is it was in his E-body and replaced it with a correct E-body rear. I don't need it to be original but if it's alot cheaper than an S60 I'll be ahead... Just looking to see if it's a bigger hassle to pick up the used one and put what I need in it.

six-tee-nine

Dr. diff prices start at $1800 ish. If you add the cost for spring perches, a detroit locker, ... you hit $ 2200 rapidly. Then there's the shipping cost of the thing, complete Dana's are ridiculously heavy....

Worst case scenario : buy a used original for less than a grand and haul it home yourself so save up to $ 1500. The internals are junk so you'll need to buy axles, bearings, seals, ring & pinion set up and a new sure grip diff.
If you can keep the cost of the parts below the saved amount of a new one AND you can tackle the rebuild yourself you might save money....

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

JerseyJoe

I nearly fell over (not really) when the guy showed me this rear,

The BOM is 602957 ('68-9 B-body) and it has 3.54's in it.
He said it "chattered" once in a while if you made a sharp left while accelerating but the "posi" worked fine if you wanted to spin the tires... I'm starting to think he had the wrong oil in it  :scratchchin:

The moral of the story is, a guy that has a Mopar, but says he has a "posi" rear... took $750 for a real Dana 60  :icon_smile_big:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

70daytonaclone

six-tee-nine

I'd run as fast as I could to haul something like that home if it were offered to me.

I think you did a hell of a score  :2thumbs:

JerseyJoe

Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 12, 2011, 07:39:49 AM
I'd run as fast as I could to haul something like that home if it were offered to me.

I think you did a hell of a score  :2thumbs:
I don't want to speculate too much but the seller is a real estate broker in a resort town, he told me he had sold off a couple cars in the last few years. At the very least he probably wasn't planning on buying any more cars for a while and seemed to be unloading parts.
    But it was nice to finally get a break for once!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

firefighter3931

That is a BIG TIME score !  :bow:

Congrats Joe....just what you needed out back with the stroker !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

JerseyJoe

Now that I've got the cover and the end gaskets for this thing, what gear oil are people using in these? How about the additive?  :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

:cheers:

The GM additive is supposed to be the best
Chris' '69 Charger R/T