News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing rear frame rails

Started by Geordie, August 02, 2005, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geordie

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if any of you could help me out with this quick question. How hard is it to replace rear frame rails on a mopar? Can an amateur hobbiest do this with the right tools, or is this a job for the shop? How much do you estimate it will cost? I've tried looking through the thread about darkangels car but could'nt find quite the information I am looking for.. any help is greatly appreaciated! Sorry no pics either! Im just wondering because numerous for sale ads quote rusty frame rails... :)

Silver R/T

cost depends on how hard and how large affected area is, hours takes to do it too. youll have to cut spot welds off. weld new sections on, if you never done body work I would see how much someone else would charge you
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

If you have the right tools an amateur can do it. It will take alot of work. You can buy good tools to do the job with for the amount it will cost to hire it done. Then when its all over you will have the tools to work on other parts of your car. Check out 69Hemi's web sight I think he has an area there that shows them replacing the rails, if I'm not mistaken. If he doesn't. Its still a very good place to check out. Alot of good info there.

PlumBad70

I'm repalcing both rears on mine, Don't know how much its cost per say cause its with everything else hes doing, I know it takes time getting everything lined up and straight..It shouldn't cost too too much...I'm with drop top though, look at 69hemi's website, its got a lot of useful info on it :)
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

69hemi

Quote from: Drop Top on August 03, 2005, 08:48:03 AM
If you have the right tools an amateur can do it. It will take alot of work. You can buy good tools to do the job with for the amount it will cost to hire it done. Then when its all over you will have the tools to work on other parts of your car. Check out 69Hemi's web sight I think he has an area there that shows them replacing the rails, if I'm not mistaken. If he doesn't. Its still a very good place to check out. Alot of good info there.

Thanks for the referral but mine has the originals rails on it.  the fronts required a little patch here and there but the rear was very soild.  The best advice i can give is measure many times before cutting the old ones out and make sure all these measurements match before welding the new ones in.  If you are off the car will handle like sh*t.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Drop Top

Thanks for chiming in 69. I agree. Measure, wright it down. Then do it a few more times and do it in allot of differant places and angles. Measure from rail to rail also. Then when you think your ready to cut everthing out, measure everthing again. Then check with what you have written down. When replaceing, do one side at a time. After cutting out and grinding/cleaning up the area. Clamp your rail in place make sure its in the correct position tack it in. Measure to make sure its in the right place before welding it all the way in. When your completely done with that side. Then you can start on the other side.

Geordie

Thanks for all the great info guys!

70plumrt

I'm with Drop Top here too!
With the cost of body shops I would estimate two new rails at $1000-$2000
So why not grab a semi-decent welder and practice
Each section of frame is not cheap either...but they do make frame caps
which slide over old rails, saving on time and cursing :-X

Patience is key!