News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jayson's Build

Started by sixty8charger, June 03, 2011, 05:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: sixty8charger on March 04, 2012, 02:09:45 PM
Would it be safe to strip the paint on the roof and then use a gelcoat fiberglass to seal up the holes?  Trying to avoid the pain of putting on a new roof.

It will be much easier to replace the roof than to try fixing it.  It may seem daunting but replacing a roof skin is about as easy as it gets.  Remember you are not moving the roof structure, it's just the skin.

Before you remove the roof I would weld in a few stabilizing bars to make sure the body doesn't sag.  In fact you should weld in several before you start removing any more metal.

Drill the spotwelds, cut the c pillar seams and remove that perforated skin.  Clean up and repair the frame, test fit the new roof skin, drill holes for spotwelds and get that puppy on there.  Make sure to weld the seam between roof and quarter all the way, as if it was one piece of metal, just go real slow so you don't warp the skins.

Trying to fill the holes with fiberglass or anything else will be a lot of work, a lot of material and a lot of cleanup.  And in the end you still have a crappy roof that was covered in goo.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

napaguy

I agree with dino and the others...essentially all the skin does is keep the rain off your head. Run braces between the door jambs and one spanning the width in front and back and you will be fine. Covering up problems will always haunt you later...

montana bird

I would replace it. Now is the time. You would feel better doing it, and the parts are available. They may not be there 20 years down the road. :Twocents:

sixty8charger

I appreciate all the advise.  sigh...  well, I guess I shall get a 3/8 spot weld drill bit from harbor freight on my way home. 

I got those holes in the sail panels too...  how should I fix those? since they don't just sell that one peice, and I would hate to waste money buying the full fenders.
Jayson

sanders7981

Quote from: sixty8charger on March 09, 2012, 03:14:52 PM
I appreciate all the advise.  sigh...  well, I guess I shall get a 3/8 spot weld drill bit from harbor freight on my way home. 

I got those holes in the sail panels too...  how should I fix those? since they don't just sell that one peice, and I would hate to waste money buying the full fenders.

You could try a copper welding spoon pressed against the back, at Harbor Freight also, and tack those holes shut.  I did that for a few holes on the inside of my sail panel. 

The70RT

I thought they sold the inner sail panels somewhere? I would get the spot weld cutters from Napa if you got one nearby. I used some of the harbor freight ones and they were junk, You also will need a few bits since the roof has a lot of welds. I used a few doing my trunk and rear valance. Some people used the Blair brand bit where ever they are sold?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sixty8charger

Been a while but made some progress.  Patch panel on driver side floor is in....  looks... ugly.. but it will be covered.  Cut out the driver rear lower fender...  found some interesting stuff in the valance corner. Waiting for some more metal. 
Jayson

RIDGERACER383

Your car is on its way...looking good so far.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Ghoste

You have to love the surprise gifts left behind by former owners down in those 1/4 panels huh?  :lol:

sixty8charger

..Well received some new material today!  Big one being the roof skin...   going to try and undertake removal of the old.. this weekend..  ugh.

But fixed the holes in the floor pan.  And I have the drop off for the trunk extension so I should get the rear quarter finally in this weekend as well. 

But.. yeah, the floor is ugly... but.. it was in pretty bad shape.  One covered in carpet, it won't be seen anyway.
Jayson

JB400

Glad to here you can move forward again. :2thumbs:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on August 14, 2012, 02:16:05 AM
You have to love the surprise gifts left behind by former owners down in those 1/4 panels huh?  :lol:

I found some change the exact year of my car... I wondered if it had been waiting there the whole time :smilielol:
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

sixty8charger

Trying to keep the motivation...  been a busy couple months... crap weather...   no real progress.  Might have to move next year.  Fear of losing pieces....  Pressure is increasing.
Jayson

JB400

Take a breather and relax. :cheers:  Just sit in the garage and look at it while drinking your favorite beverage.  Pretty soon, you'll get energetic again.

The70RT

Been there done that, 3 family deaths last year really slowed me up. Keep your chin up and do what you can.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sixty8charger

Thanks for the encouragement!    :cheers: 
Jayson

Patronus

C'mon buddy, its all sitting there. Think of the sun with your arm out the window, with that big grin on your face... man, sometimes I cant help but smile.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

Where you at? I'll come help..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

sixty8charger

New Bern, NC. 

Oh and I can picture myself driving it for sure...  I have been dreaming of driving her for yeeeeeaaaaarrrrssss!  I got to drive her for a little bit when I was a teenager a few times.  I was watching Mikes Mustos new video he posted and got flooded with exciting emotions.. it helped with some motivation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaN21qZZSw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Jayson

lexxman

I just watched the video,those are a couple of cool cars.

Patronus

Too far east for my blood... Someday, when Im rich and famous...instead of turning GL's back into everyday Chargers I think I might just tour n' work on other people's cars. Let me fill you in on a little secret. No matter what she looks like, no matter what she smells like, no matter what she sounds like, be sure, at that stop light... everyone is looking at her.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

cdr

JAYSON,,,,,,,,,,,YOU  CAN  DO IT  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

sixty8charger

Quote from: Patronus on January 15, 2013, 03:41:45 PM
Too far east for my blood... Someday, when Im rich and famous...instead of turning GL's back into everyday Chargers I think I might just tour n' work on other people's cars. Let me fill you in on a little secret. No matter what she looks like, no matter what she smells like, no matter what she sounds like, be sure, at that stop light... everyone is looking at her.

That would be a pretty sweet business..   if that day comes, send me a message!

You are right about the looking, that's For damn sure.  Even on the days grinding in the driveway, primed up and surface rust poking through, people slow down and some ask questions.  Especially the mailman, that guy is great!
Jayson

Cooter

Props For taking on that thing in your back yard on your own. Takes some serious balls to pull that off. I know all too well about looking up at the roof and seeing what looks to be the dark sky and stars....

Again, kudo's for a job well done so far. Keep your eye on the prize.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fy469rtse

Jason don't know how far along you , but those inner sail panels are available from charger or rt specailitys , got them for a friends build , good fit as well