News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Daytona on Ebay

Started by chargermadness, June 10, 2011, 03:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 12, 2011, 03:00:09 PM
If it were me being interested to buy,I would insist on a visual inspection and if he refuses,wreck the auction!!!!!You don't try to sell something and deny interested parties inspection of it,IMO.

Per the update to the auction listing, arrangements can be made to see the car. 

69 OUR/TEA

NTM,how many of those bids do you think are his friends ringing it up,yah,nobodys done that before!!!!!!!I'm sure there are some legit,because of the status of what it is for sale.If you were serious about the car,and still wanted to bid for it,and win it, refuse a deposit,and that you will pay in full in person when you go to pick it up!!!!!

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Aero426 on June 12, 2011, 03:07:22 PM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 12, 2011, 03:00:09 PM
If it were me being interested to buy,I would insist on a visual inspection and if he refuses,wreck the auction!!!!!You don't try to sell something and deny interested parties inspection of it,IMO.

Per the update to the auction listing, arrangements can be made to see the car. 

Thats more like it !!!!!

Aero426

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 10, 2011, 07:33:35 PM
Given the market,and examples like Troy not being able to sell his at 125k for a real nice car,so for a real nice 440-4bbl car,$100k. Therefore,you are correct,you'd have $75k into it,so at that,I don't think the car in question is worth more than $30k tops.Now I'm not saying someone won't buy it,because history has proven that people will spend more than half of what its worth restored on a major project,and then have more into by the time they're done,and could have just bought one done and drove it now and save the years and aggravation of restoring.
Now as far as someone that can and will do all the work himself,and really wants this car, is a diff story,might give a few more $$$$$$.
What do you think the $$$$$ ratio of a project car should be to it being a restored one????? 20% of restored value,25%,40%.....?If this guys res is $50k,that is nuts,just buy Troys!!!!!!

Given that there are a total of ZERO other project Daytonas on the market, the chances of this one selling for 30k are somewhere between slim and none.   A Daytona is generally not one of those cars where you arrive at the price by subtracting restoration cost from current retail.  You might want to try and negotiate that, but the seller probably will not bite on that kind of math.

nascarxx29

Maybe this former project daytona will come out of hibernation as is from the 80s .Or restored somewhere
This F6 Green white interior and stripe daytona from St Louis MO that was a 80-s car .But again $25K and was original but hurting from being outside since the 70-s.Fellow wing car owner John TPR went and sent me pictures of XX29L9B398853

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arnie Cunningham

Reasonably rust free, matching engine block, mostly complete project, possibly very low miles, 4.10s.
The car is worth at least the value of its parts.  It will, of course sell for much more than that regardless of the cost of restoration.
These cars are no different than any other classic car in one respect - the value is in the eye of the beholder.  There are very few
cars out there that are worth more than their restoration cost.  Cost is not the driving factor in this.  Desire is.  I say more power to the
seller.  He sat on this thing for decades.  He found most of the parts needed to put it back together.  I hope he gets $100,000 for it.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

69 OUR/TEA

Good points made Arnie,as with me and many others from this site that have the ability to do one of the most major costs of a resto,the paint and bodywork,allows us to buy cars to restore as it is our own labor going into them allowing a major $$$$$ savings.Therefore,if this Daytona was one which I had to have as it was a dream car for me,I could see myself paying $30-40k for it.You have to take its total restored value into consideration,you would'nt buy a car for $30k if its value was $30k,and given the fact right now,unless I'm wrong,IMO this car rotiss restored maybe worth $100-125k????Just as houses are down,so are the collector cars,and you can't predict when and if they will come back so you have to spend you money wisely.
As said,Troy has his for sale at $125k turnkey,no restoring,no parts hunting,no aggravation ,put the key in and enjoy it now,and he still has it.I not saying it's not worth it,but they're not jumping off the shelves at that price.
Now as far as the seller goes,you,me and everyone else that tries selling a car shoots for the stars hoping to stretch every last dollar out of it,so can't blame him with his undisclosed(assuming high)reserve.If he gets some fish to bite at $50,60k,etc,God bless him.

nascarxx29

Someone did pay $40K for the TX toast daytona XX29L9B355107 wasnt whole lot there to work with

Aero426

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 12, 2011, 05:26:42 PM
Good points made Arnie,as with me and many others from this site that have the ability to do one of the most major costs of a resto,the paint and bodywork,allows us to buy cars to restore as it is our own labor going into them allowing a major $$$$$ savings.Therefore,if this Daytona was one which I had to have as it was a dream car for me,I could see myself paying $30-40k for it.You have to take its total restored value into consideration,you would'nt buy a car for $30k if its value was $30k,and given the fact right now,unless I'm wrong,IMO this car rotiss restored maybe worth $100-125k????Just as houses are down,so are the collector cars,and you can't predict when and if they will come back so you have to spend you money wisely.
As said,Troy has his for sale at $125k turnkey,no restoring,no parts hunting,no aggravation ,put the key in and enjoy it now,and he still has it.I not saying it's not worth it,but they're not jumping off the shelves at that price.
Now as far as the seller goes,you,me and everyone else that tries selling a car shoots for the stars hoping to stretch every last dollar out of it,so can't blame him with his undisclosed(assuming high)reserve.If he gets some fish to bite at $50,60k,etc,God bless him.

There is a lot of blue sky optimism to a buyer looking at that Daytona project at 50k versus and the 125k of Troy's car.    125k is still 125k - which means that is a lot of money to most of us to come up with.    You will pay more as a percentage of restored value for the project car.   As I mentioned, show me what other project Daytonas are available at the moment.

Yes the market is down.    Yes, if a person had the money, they certainly might find better value with someone elses Daytona that is already done.   The key words are "IF YOU HAD THE MONEY".   If that buyer doesn't, then a car like Troy's is out of the equation.    If you don't have the money up front, then a car like this project is the only way in.    

held1823

the buy-in amount has, sadly,  become the "justification" for building a fake, clone, or (my personal least-favorite term) tribute. I'd much prefer to see this genuine wing car on the street or at a show, even in its current condition, versus any home-built pretender.

hopefully this reply does not turn the thread into a debacle, for it is simply one man's opinion, and likely in the minority.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 OUR/TEA

Sure Aero426,I know what you are saying,someone has the ,lets say $50k to buy the car,and is going to restore as he goes and gets the funds,thats how most of us do it.I would love to have seen the car roll with no reserve,and even at that,you would'nt know if the auction was being helped by friends.Just because you see 8 diff bidders that chased it up to reserve,does'nt mean they were serious,and in fact if the res is lets say $50k,there may be only one person that would take it.So its hard to put a gauge on what something is worth,done or project.
Even the TV auctions could have staggered fakes in the crowd,thats why I love the tried and true sales of the BIN,classifieds on forums,collector car sites ,either it sells it or it doesn't.
On another note,I can see someone paying alot for this project,as you said,where are the other daytona projects???I myself,if it were a car I so much desired,would def pay more than the rest would,just so I can get it over with and own it.Car still remains long after price has been forgotten.For me,it's not even a Mopar,it's a 70 Buick GSX,at one time in the high market they were starting to tap six figures,now they have come down the $60-$80k range,and if one came up I'd pay 30-35 for a project one(depending factors of course).With just only 678 of those made,same goes,show me where the project ones are.

nascarxx29

Out of the 678 Saturn yellow GSX you dont see many 4 speed ones .I knew 2 guys who had these cars originally from day one.You dont see many Apollo white ones those are rare

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 12, 2011, 08:22:54 PM
Out of the 678 Saturn yellow GSX you dont see many 4 speed ones .I knew 2 guys who had these cars originally from day one.You dont see many Apollo white ones those are rare

187 Appolo white
491 Saturn yellow

400 Stage 1's  278 non Stage 1's
199 4speeds

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn:
Yes, good luck finding another builder Daytona at any money at any time these recent years.  However.  It appears to me that there is more Daytona/500s for sale & many not selling in the last 3-4 years than maybe the previous 20 years combined and that some market optimism remains or they have too much money in the car.   I think today's buyers can be broken down reasonably into some main categories.  They could be some combination of these maybe.  1) The flipper, investor, not likely in this market,.. if so, good luck with that. 2) Mass budget availability, does not care about the percentage premium above apparent market value, in many cases above market will not matter, if they want the car they will buy 3) Budget available, value minded buyer, some level of concern with market current/future values, likely not to buy a 40-50k car to put 100k or more for it to become some value less than investment.  4) Budget available, "specific options-colors" minded buyer, likely to give some significant percentage premium money for rarity within the rare cars, it's a hobby isn't it  :drool5:  5)  Do it yourself buyer also can pay some amount more,  money savings is coming with the free labor, also less likely worried about "money making investment" aspect, it's a hobby it's it  6)The part timer or accident buyer just paid too much.  7)Nostalgic buyer, they had one in youth, parents had one, etc, if option are similar enough likely buy above apparent market value. 8)The Dreamers, buys with the dream to finish, but many times never happens, our hobby is full of these.  Dangerous maybe at this level car due the financial commitment short or long term  9) Lastly clearly there are less buyers at any level car it appears, I couldn't get an offer on a 2k builder 69 Dart at a recent swap meet that would have sold in the mid 90s reasonably easy at 2k.

Back to the Y2 -  Dana, disc brakes and three speed wipers, Y2 with black, cool options :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Earlier someone had mentioned this Daytona as a "known" one but it hadn't been seen in a long time. Based on the info out there this was yet another Y2 Daytona that was repainted a differant color. Does this one change the Y2 "known" color total which I believe is at 21 or 22 now? Also is there info to confirm that the trans is matching number in addition to the correct block being available?
Thanks! MJ

68X426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 10, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
Seeing this car and condition .The Big Willie 440 car be the better buy :Twocents:

Very good observation.  :yesnod:

I see that it's up to $47k with 2 days left.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Aero426

Quote from: 68X426 on June 14, 2011, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 10, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
Seeing this car and condition .The Big Willie 440 car be the better buy :Twocents:

Very good observation.  :yesnod:

I see that it's up to $47k with 2 days left.

You guys must not have seen the Willie car in person.   Even though it has been apparently barn stored, the Mass car does not seem to have the corrosion like the Willie car which was outside for years.   

68X426

Quote from: Aero426 on June 14, 2011, 06:29:33 PM

You guys must not have seen the Willie car in person.   Even though it has been apparently barn stored, the Mass car does not seem to have the corrosion like the Willie car which was outside for years.   

Got me there. I've only seen pics and heard stories.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BigBlockSam

QuoteYou guys must not have seen the Willie car in person

i've seen the big Willie daytona in person, close up . one of my club members owns it and Jack inspected it before he bought it  . it has it's bad parts but it has a lot of good things going for it and history.  maybe even some surprises   :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

70Sbird

looking at all the pictures, it really does look like a solid car, considering that it also appears to have been storred outside for a period of time.
If the required parts came with the car, this really doesnt see to be a bad project. I've seen many cars in worsr condition brought back from the dead.

Scott Faulkner

tan top

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 15, 2011, 08:47:49 AM
http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i429/36dodgeguy/?start=all

:o  that looks real good !! from the pictures  , wish i had the dough  :yesnod:  :'
  , thanks for sharing the link  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gtx6970

Listing seems to have garnered some attention .

Based on pictures I've seen so far. I think it's about maxed out price wise. IMO

BUT

Main issue is, There's not a whole lot of project Daytonas avail. So they fall into a grey area on the projects price scale. If you want one, your options are very limited.
2nd - not everyone can afford to drop 6 figures on a done car, even if it is the smartest,cheaper in the long run thing to do.
( Unless you can do the majority of the work yourself, it always has been and always will be the less expensive way to go - buy it done )

3rd - some prefer buying projects, that way they know EXACLY what they have in a finished product.
Finally, if it's all decent, complete and OE pieces, just the radiator support forward is worth well north of $10K , might even tickle close to $20K to the right person.

A good friend of mine has one in similar condition , (except B5 4 spd ) and I am watching this car. As it will help him determine if he decides to sell his or turn it over to me to restore it.

70Sbird

Less than 10 hours left on the auction and the bidding is over 52K, My bet is that it will end somewhere in the mid 60's
:o

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on June 16, 2011, 11:08:55 AM
Less than 10 hours left on the auction and the bidding is over 52K, My bet is that it will end somewhere in the mid 60's
:o

hard to believe at 52k the reserve is still not met   :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE