News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine bay paint

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, June 10, 2011, 10:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i got the motor and trany out and im cleaning up the engine bay. problem is the paint in the engine bay is just all around crappy. theres some needless holes id like to fill. theres some runs in the paint on the firewall aswell. id really like to try to close some holes up and da the runs out. just really try to clean it up as well as i can.

the thing is if i did that id prolly have to paint the engine bay black or something like that. my cars a real bright yellow that im not gonna get ina rattle can and i honestly have no idea what the actual color is. would a black engine bay look like crap?   does anyone paint their engine bays a different color than the car?

i personally dont think black would look good but i really dunno what to do here.

johnnycharger

My engine bay is semi gloss black. My body is flat black. My engine bay was sublime green with the body burgundy when I bought it. I think the black is a good safe color that will match what ever you paint the car. I agree with sanding out the runs.  I wish I spent more time prepping my engine bay.

hemi-hampton

Why not just paint it yellow, take a yellow painted piece to local paint supply store. Have them read the paint with Profett or similar paint scanner & have them come up with a formula that matches. LEON.

Brightyellow69rtse

im not really sure what i could take, well maybe a hood hinge i suppose i could drill some alignment holes and take it off.

jaak

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on June 10, 2011, 11:09:06 PM
im not really sure what i could take, well maybe a hood hinge i suppose i could drill some alignment holes and take it off.

What about the battery tray??? If it still has yellow paint intact, it would be easily removed.

Jason

Brightyellow69rtse

the battery tray was silver and it was toast. i made a stainless one years ago.

bad71se

just make sure you use hi temp engine paint ...cus i forgot to and my paint on the firewall is flaking off cus of the heat

E5 Charger

Please don't paint it black, someone will think you have a Chevy. Go to an auto body supply store and show them the yellow. Can you drive the car? maybe they can take some chips out to their parking lot to match to. I'm sure they can help you match it and can mix up a rattle can or two for you. I've used them and they spray nicer than the store bought ones.

Brightyellow69rtse

shes not driveable right now. motor and tranny are out. no trunk floor and all the interior is out.  id spray the paint myself i suppose if i could get a good match. ive painted a couple cars in the past that came out decent.

hemi-hampton

I'm lucky they come right out to the Body Shops I've worked at in the past. I highly doubt they'll come to your house. Which is why you need to bring them a part. Maybe trunk lid. Hood hinge is to skinny, needs to be a flat smooth clean surface & enough of it to get a reading. A painted mirror would work, gas cap, ect but maybe not if you got a Charger. Thats why I said trunk. LEON.