News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

BRAKE BOOSTER & MASTER CYLINDER FINAL!
This is the last of the pictures I have from this invoice on the brake booster and master cylinder.
The first picture shows the brake booster now primered.
The second picture shows the brake pedal linkage disassembled and blasted.
The third picture shows the brake booster primered in epoxy.
The last picture shows the brake booster and master cylinder assembled and ready for paint!
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 1!
I have been putting this section off because there are so many pictures!
The first picture shows the unrestored K member bolts.
The second picture shows the unrestored sway bar mounts.
the third picture shows both of the above items now bead blasted.
The last picture is of the sway bar prepped and ready for paint!
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 2!
Here we show the engine/transmission and suspension ready to be installed!
The first picture shows the original sway bar bushings one is nice the other is a little distorted.
The second and third pictures show the engine/transmission and suspension ready for installation! WOW!
Notice the assembly is now on a taller stand so they can let the body down over it and bolt it in.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 3!
Here I show some items close up and all the detail added to the suspension.
The first picture shows the passengers side motor mount assembly with NOS insulator part number 2536121.
These were found new in the box in the trunk of a car and sold to me by a friend on this site!
The second picture shows the passengers side suspension close up.
The third picture shows the passengers side lower control arm with NOS bump stop part number 2535027.
The last picture in this batch shows the passengers side lower ball joint and hardware.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 4!
Here we continue on with the drivers side suspension close ups!
The first picture is of the drivers side lower ball joint and hardware.
the second picture is of the drivers side motor mount assembly.
The third picture is of the engine/transmission and suspension close up on the drivers side.
The last picture is of the engine/transmission and suspension close up from the front.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 5!
Here is the moment that I've been waiting for!
The lowering of the body onto the engine/transmission and front suspension!
The first two pictures shows the body being lowered.
The last two pictures show the drivers side disc brake shield and spindle restored
and ready for the disc brake rotor assembly.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 6!
Here we show some more details and a bottom view of the engine and transmission installed!
The first picture shows the drivers side suspension with the restored original front shock.
You can also see the restored upper control arm with NOS upper ball joint part number 2298534
and NOS upper control arm bump stop part number 2535204.
The second picture shows the drivers side end link for the sway bar and suspension.
The last picture is with the Superbird up in the air with the engine and transmission!
Notice the lack of paint on the oil pan as it was done at the factory. ENJOY!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Thanks Troy!
Here's more!
The first picture shows the drivers disc brake rotor now installed.
The second picture is of the passengers side rotor.
The last picture is another bottom side view of the transmission and suspension.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SUSPENSION PART 7!
Here they do some final work on the front suspension.
The first two pictures show the restored torsion bars installed looking at the rear mounts.
The last two pictures show the completed front suspension close ups.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT BRAKE DETAILS!
In this batch of pictures we start with the front brake details.
The first picture shows the NOS disc brake pads part number 3744450
and the NOS brake pad springs part number 3461891.
The second picture shows the NOS date coded front brake hoses part number 2925163.
The third and fourth pictures show the front brake hose installed!
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT BRAKE DETAILS PART 2!
The first picture in this batch shows the passengers caliper installed.
You can also see the NOS caliper positioners part numbers 2944723 and 2944724.
The second picture is the same view of the drivers side caliper.
The third and fourth pictures show the passengers side brake hose installed.
MJ

Mopar John

SOME ENGINE DETAILS!
The first picture shows the 44th week 1969 alternator restored by Jim Ridge down at Dixie Restorations.
Jim dug into his private stash and added some nice detail NOS parts to this alternator.
The second picture shows the fuel lines and NOS vapor separator part number 2525254 installed.
The fuel pump in the picture is a place holder as I had the original sent out for a modern fuel diaphragm.
The last picture is of the NOS oil sending unit part number 2495222.
MJ

Mopar John

SIX PACK AIRCLEANER!
This batch of pictures show the start of restoration on the SIX PACK air cleaner.
The first picture is a before of the air cleaner lid.
The second picture shows it blasted and ready for prep.
The third picture is a before of the air cleaner base.
The last picture shows the base blasted and ready for prep.
This is the last batch of pictures for today so stay tuned for more!
MJ

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on November 05, 2015, 03:19:59 PM
The fuel pump in the picture is a place holder as I had the original sent out for a modern fuel diaphragm.

Any more thoughts on the fuel pump "restoration" than what we've talked about in the past?

:scratchchin:

Car looked very, very nice, John!

green69rt

Just one thought on that fuel vapor canister.  Looks good but did anyone check the return line orifice?   I seem to recall that some canisters came without the orifice and so almost all the fuel the pump puts out returns to the tank.   Shouldn't be hard to check, just disconnect the return line and see how much flow you get compared to the pump capacity or maybe just look inside and see if you can see the orifice (probably easier.)   :shruggy:

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on November 05, 2015, 03:52:15 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on November 05, 2015, 03:19:59 PM

Any more thoughts on the fuel pump "restoration" than what we've talked about in the past?

:scratchchin:

Car looked very, very nice, John!

Gene,
I have the recrimped bottle cap looking original with the modern fuel diaphragm on the Superbird.
As long as I don't look at it real close it doesn't bother me!
I havn't seen anyone doing better on this to date?
Thanks on the Superbird!
John

Mopar John

Quote from: green69rt on November 05, 2015, 04:32:40 PM
Just one thought on that fuel vapor canister.  Looks good but did anyone check the return line orifice?   I seem to recall that some canisters came without the orifice and so almost all the fuel the pump puts out returns to the tank.   Shouldn't be hard to check, just disconnect the return line and see how much flow you get compared to the pump capacity or maybe just look inside and see if you can see the orifice (probably easier.)   :shruggy:
green69rt,
I had the problem with the NOS vapor separator on our Daytona!
We were really embarrassed at our first outing with the car.
Once I restricted the return it pumped fuel to the carb rather than the tank.
So far no problems with this one.
Thanks for the tip!
John

thehemikid

When I first started my motor in the car this past spring with a few prime squirts, I could hear the fuel dribbling in the tank between fire ups. Was puzzling for just a second, ...then put a .060" restriction in the return hose.

Edit: Was nice talking to ya at Dega in the staging lanes about the front bumper strip check mark nicks.   

maxwellwedge

Looks good John.

My Bird has the striped KV hose from the frame rail to the pump.....just saying for interest sakes.

Nice find on the Oil pressure sending unit....I used to have a few with good dates......now they are tough to find.

Do you remember the date on yours? Also - the 440-6 got an extension harness that hooks to the sending unit. It is a voltage limiting wire that makes the oil pressure gauge read correctly....all original cars have them. If you don't - Frank B. has them.  :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Quote from: thehemikid on November 06, 2015, 10:22:59 AM
When I first started my motor in the car this past spring with a few prime squirts, I could hear the fuel dribbling in the tank between fire ups. Was puzzling for just a second, ...then put a .060" restriction in the return hose.

Edit: Was nice talking to ya at Dega in the staging lanes about the front bumper strip check mark nicks.   
SAME HERE!

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
Looks good John.

My Bird has the striped KV hose from the frame rail to the pump.....just saying for interest sakes.

Nice find on the Oil pressure sending unit....I used to have a few with good dates......now they are tough to find.

Do you remember the date on yours? Also - the 440-6 got an extension harness that hooks to the sending unit. It is a voltage limiting wire that makes the oil pressure gauge read correctly....all original cars have them. If you don't - Frank B. has them.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
Looks good John.

THANKS JIM!
Always nice to find out how to correct some of the small details from original cars!
I will check the date on the sender and thanks for the tip on the harness for it.
MJ

Mopar John

STARTER SPLASH SHIELD!
With the engine, transmission and suspension now part of the Superbird it was time to add the other pieces.
In this batch of pictures I will show the drivers side frame rail starter splash shield.
The original on the Superbird was decent and I also sent down my best spare just in case?
The first picture is a close up of the starter splash shield already prepped and painted.
The second picture is of the new staples close up.
the third picture is of the new tie rod seal close up.
The last picture is of all the parts assembled and ready to attach to the frame rail!
MJ

hemi68charger

Nice John...
Is the seal part of a reproduction kit or is that some ultra-rare NOS seal with staples?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 12, 2015, 07:47:32 AM
Nice John...
Is the seal part of a reproduction kit or is that some ultra-rare NOS seal with staples?
Troy,
The seal and staples are reproductions.
I had the original shield on the Superbird which is rare since most were removed.
I also sent down the best of my spares as far as surface rust and pitting went.
But none of the ones I had have a great looking rubber tie rod seal so we went with the reproduction for now.
The dealer parts book does not show that replacements were available individually for the seal nor the staples.
MJ