News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on January 26, 2017, 09:05:24 PM
None of the above John. Mine is .25" wide x .62 " tall. So roughly 1/4 wide by 5/8 long. One loop's ID is .25" in diameter and the other is .315". So 1/4 x 5/16" I would say. 

I'm also thinking #3 on your list is for the transmissions cooling lines. Looks like a double loop for 3/8" tubes.

:popcrn:

Dave,
Thanks for the quick reply and measurements!
I will agree that my #3 clip is the transmission line clip due to it's size and strength.
If you look close at my #1 clip it is a bit distorted from being installed and the larger opening is not round.
I think that if I make that larger opening round it's close to the same clip you have.
Now if you clip the large opening onto the fuel line I don't see how the small end is going to fit on a SIX PACK or HEMI vacuum line.
Also your clip would have the vacum hose right up against the fuel line.
Now with that in mind go back and look at Jim's (maxwellwedge) pictures and you will see there is a gap between the clipped fuel line and vacuum line in both pictures.
The only clip that I currently have that would leave that gap is clip #3.
MJ

Mopar John

I have a close up with a transmission line "S" clip installed and then tried to duplicate Jim's engine view.
Out of the three clips I have only #3 fits and has a gap between the hose and the line.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 25, 2017, 04:18:34 PM
Quote from: Wingnut426 on January 25, 2017, 01:32:15 PM
Years ago when I had six barrel cars I used the "S" clip from the torsion bars for the trunk lid. Same clip? WINGNUT

I used the ones that hold the transmission lines together you often see. My first unrestored v-code '70 Charger R/T had the clip on the rear carb fuel line in the exact same spot as Jim's 'Bird.
Troy,
I think that after all the comparisons you were correct.
MJ

bannedbird

Quote from: Mopar John on January 05, 2017, 10:38:58 AM
Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 03, 2017, 07:14:14 PM
Congrats!! She is truly beautiful.  :2thumbs:

I do have one questions and it may be a stupid question. The "Plymouth" decals on the quarters are white. Is that correct? I always thought an EK2 car came with black and the EV2 came with white.
THANKS!
If you go way back to when I started posting about the restoration you will see original white quarter and wing decals on the Superbird when I bought it way back in 1976.
There have been some other documented EK2 Superbirds with white decals also. The black decals were on the majority of the EK2 Superbirds though.
MJ

Regarding the PLYMOUTH decal color, is this another Superbird secret we are not to talk about? LOL. I haven't read every post relating to this, but in the 1980's we understood why 3 of the body colors had different PLYMOUTH colors... didn't we? I thought we had documentation that stated that the decal color was driven by body paint PLUS another factor.  Sorry to not share more, but I may be totally wrong here with an urban legend.  So PM me if you know why John's Bird (and other colors) had different color letters.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

bannedbird

John, sorry I missed the part in this post on you looking for package tray images.  My car timing is first 25% of cars built: 165381 and Clairpointe arrival 14-NOV.  Although the new vinyl top and repaint were 1977, the interior appears untouched. The top face image shows the package tray pattern: I assume it is original.

Mopar John

Steve,
Those pictures of the material under the Superbird package tray are exactly what I was looking for.
They appear to be a black/brown mix almost like the jute padding under the cowl?
Does anyone have a beat up package shelf with that material on it that they would be willing to part with?
Thanks!

Mopar John

ORIGINAL SUPERBIRD CIGARETTE LIGHTERS???
Over the years I have purchased some good used and NOS cigarette lighter knobs and cigarette lighter elements.
I would like to compare them and see if we can decide which ones are correct for a Superbird?
I will start out with the knobs.
In my first picture you will see a side view of the knobs numbered 1 through 3.
Knob #1 has a knurled edge which I've been told came later for safety?
Knob #2 is more tapered and has a sharp line just before the bottom taper.
Knob #3 has a straight angle and no line before the bottom taper.
In my second picture you will see a top view of the knobs numbered again 1 through 3.
I would like to point out here that knobs #1 and #3 have the same pattern in the circles.
Knob #2 is just a little bigger in diameter and the outside ring is just a bit bigger.
Let me know what you know and what you have on your Superbirds ( Daytonas are ok also ).
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL SUPERBIRD CIGARETTE LIGHTERS PART 2 ELEMENTS??
Here we get into the cigarette lighter elements all bought as NOS correct.
In my first picture you will again see 3 different elements numbered #1 through #3 looking down into the element end.
Element #1 has a beaded edge and was recently bought under the correct part number 3004190.
Elements #2 and #3 have the straight and sharp outside edge in the element also bought under part number 3004190.
In my second picture you will see the elements from the top where the knob screws in.
Elements #1 and #2 look similar in this respect.
Element #3 has a black material here.
I will continue with pictures of the sides next!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: bannedbird on January 28, 2017, 03:11:55 PM
John, sorry I missed the part in this post on you looking for package tray images.  My car timing is first 25% of cars built: 165381 and Clairpointe arrival 14-NOV.  Although the new vinyl top and repaint were 1977, the interior appears untouched. The top face image shows the package tray pattern: I assume it is original.

John..
Not sure how you did yours, but how do I get the rear portion of the package tray I have now bend down. The one I have is completely flat. The ones I have seen in survivors have the rear end of the package tray bend down...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

ORIGINAL SUPERBIRD CIGARETTE LIGHTERS PART 3 ELEMENTS CONTINUED??
Here I will show pictures of each element and the print stamped into each.
Element #1 has "72 CASCO 12V".
Element #2 has "CASCO 12V".
Element #3 has "CUNO 12V" and also has a U shaped slot in the side.
I am going to assume here that #1 has something to do with the year 1972 and is a superceded part for us?
Let me know what you think is original for our Superbirds?
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 30, 2017, 02:53:30 PM
John, sorry I missed the part in this post on you looking for package tray images.  My car timing is first 25% of cars built: 165381 and Clairpointe arrival 14-NOV.  Although the new vinyl top and repaint were 1977, the interior appears untouched. The top face image shows the package tray pattern: I assume it is original.

John..
Not sure how you did yours, but how do I get the rear portion of the package tray I have now bend down. The one I have is completely flat. The ones I have seen in survivors have the rear end of the package tray bend down...
Troy,
What I did was get the back end in there correctly and let it sit for a while and let gravity bring it down.
I was afraid to force it and crack it!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2017, 03:00:00 PM
John, sorry I missed the part in this post on you looking for package tray images.  My car timing is first 25% of cars built: 165381 and Clairpointe arrival 14-NOV.  Although the new vinyl top and repaint were 1977, the interior appears untouched. The top face image shows the package tray pattern: I assume it is original.

John..
Troy,
What I did was get the back end in there correctly and let it sit for a while and let gravity bring it down.
MJ

OK... Wonder if it is moistened in that area if it'll bend as well or break.....  :2thumbs:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

pettybird

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 30, 2017, 03:17:57 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2017, 03:00:00 PM

John..
Troy,
MJ

OK... Wonder if it is moistened in that area if it'll bend as well or break.....  :2thumbs:

I didn't show mine much mercy and it more or less went into place.  Irritating how far off the material is from original, though. 

Mopar John

Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2017, 02:41:44 PM
                                                                  ORIGINAL SUPERBIRD CIGARETTE LIGHTERS???
Over the years I have purchased some good used and NOS cigarette lighter knobs and cigarette lighter elements.
I would like to compare them and see if we can decide which ones are correct for a Superbird?
I will start out with the knobs.
In my first picture you will see a side view of the knobs numbered 1 through 3.
Knob #1 has a knurled edge which I've been told came later for safety?
Knob #2 is more tapered and has a sharp line just before the bottom taper.
Knob #3 has a straight angle and no line before the bottom taper.
In my second picture you will see a top view of the knobs numbered again 1 through 3.
I would like to point out here that knobs #1 and #3 have the same pattern in the circles.
Knob #2 is just a little bigger in diameter and the outside ring is just a bit bigger.
Let me know what you know and what you have on your Superbirds ( Daytonas are ok also ).
MJ
I have not gotten any help on this so I'll take a stab at it!
Knob #1 has the knurled edge and goes with the 72 CASCO 12V element.
This would be for 1972 and later Mopars.
Knob #2 With more taper and sharp line is next.
I have seen this knob used on the earlier cars starting in 1966 up through 1969.
I found one of these in my Daytona.
Knob #3 with the straight angle with no line is last.
I found this type in my Superbird and believe it was used in 1970 and 1971.
If anyone out there has originals please add to the discussion with a picture!
MJ

bannedbird

Next time I get access to my car, I'll get a picture.

Davtona

John, I don't know the answer to which lighter is correct for 1970. However your lighter # 3 is what is in my Daytona originally. Here's a pic.  :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on February 07, 2017, 08:07:15 PM

John, I don't know the answer to which lighter is correct for 1970. However your lighter # 3 is what is in my Daytona originally. Here's a pic.  :2thumbs:

Dave,
Thanks for your reply with the important close up picture!
We need a few more of these examples for both 1969 Daytonas and 1970 Superbirds to form some type of opinion on these.
MJ

Davtona

Quote from: Davtona on February 07, 2017, 08:07:15 PM

John, I don't know the answer to which lighter is correct for 1970. However your lighter # 3 is what is in my Daytona originally. Here's a pic.  :2thumbs:

Whoops sorry forgot to clarify. Yes it does say cuno 12 v on the barrel and it has the U shaped slot on the side?  :2thumbs: 

Mopar John

ANOTHER ITEM CHECKED OFF THE WANT LIST!
They are not happening as often because the list is short but every once in a while I score a rare item that I'm looking for!
If you go back in my story to reply #744 you will see that I have a picture of the NOS exhaust hangers.
In the picture is only one hanger part number 2856265 for the exhaust tips  !@#$%^&*(!
We ended up using the best of the used ones that we could find for the other side.
Troy and the guys did a nice job cleaning and detailing the used one but if you get out a magnifying glass you can see the difference.
The used one is a little too smooth especially the edges and the die marks are almost gone.
Recently a single popped up on EBAY and I was able to purchase it at a reasonable price.
It will be sent down to the shop for some light cleaning and rust prevention then swapped out with the used one!
MJ

odcics2

John..

I remember my rear shelve: Not bent, it was molded that way...  That odd pattern on top is original!!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

RED DISTRIBUTOR CAP BOOT FOR THE COIL WIRE!
We have discussed this very rare part in another post.
Today I took my NOS red boot and installed it on the Superbird.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on November 21, 2017, 07:51:17 PM
                                                                  RED DISTRIBUTOR CAP BOOT FOR THE COIL WIRE!
We have discussed this very rare part in another post.
Today I took my NOS red boot and installed it on the Superbird.
MJ

Ah heck... Now I gotta get one !!!  :rofl:
Troy

Mopar John

2018 MOPARS at the RED BARNS!
Sometimes it takes an event like the 2018 Mopars at the Red Barns to get things going!
The show is held at the Gilmore Car Museum as it's known now in Hickory Corners Michigan.
This years show will be this Saturday July 28th sponsored by the Western Michigan Mopar Club.
This is a regional show that usually draws a couple hundred Mopars and a nice swap meet.

First a friend of mine contacted me a couple of weeks ago and then my brother in law last weekend about going.
I decided that we would try to go again with our Superbird.
Last time we tried we got up there and it rained hard all day.
So we visited the Daytona on display there and came back home.
The problem with this years show is that I still had parts down at Troy Angelly's shop for the Superbird.
So yesterday 426 Linda and I left at 7am for Troy's shop that is a good 5 hour drive to Eldorado, Illinois.
Troy has recently moved his business to the old Eldorado, Illinois Chrysler Plymouth dealership!
I have attached a few pictures of the dealership building as it looks today.
If anyone has a car from there or pictures back in the day he would like to see them!
Troy plans to restore the showroom back to the dealership days and put a couple of finished cars in the showroom!
We had a tour of the new facility that will add a new collision shop as a separate business.
After the tour and a nice visit we picked up our finished Superbird parts and headed home.
We got back home just after 9pm with the parts.
I will be posting about them as I install them on the Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

NOS EXHAUST TIP HANGER!
One of the items we brought back from Troy Angelly's new shop yesterday was an NOS exhaust tip hanger.
I posted about this part not too long ago having found a second one part number 2856265.
When the Superbird was being restored I could only find a single NOS tip hanger.
My first picture shows my best used one restored and on the Superbird earlier today.
The next 2 pictures show top and bottom views of the restored used one next to the NOS one that Troy removed the surface rust from.
The NOS tip hanger is not pitted and has the die marks that seasoned judges look for.
The last picture shows the NOS one installed on the Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

CORRECT LEAF SPRING SHACKLES FOR A SUPERBIRD!
While I was under the Superbird for the exhaust tip hanger I took care of another item that I brought back from Troy Angelly's shop.
This item was a pair of correct leaf spring shackles. One of the judges at Carlisle informed us that we had one correct and one wrong leaf spring shackle!@#$%^&*!
So after I was schooled on what was correct I put out some want ads and got a reply from a guy in California with a real nice pair.
The only problem is that they had some kind of yellow/gold paint on them.
I didn't want to bead blast them and loose some of the character so I sent them down to Troy to chemically remove the paint.
We also picked those up on Tuesday and are now installed!
The first picture shows one of the leaf spring shackles removed.
The second picture shows one correct and one incorrect laying side by side.
The third picture shows the correct leaf spring shackle installed.
The last picture shows another view of the shackles with my notes.
The correct shackle has smaller side plates but shafts are just a touch bigger.
The other difference is that the correct hubs in the side plates are larger.
It's all so close you wouldn't notice from one side of the car to the other unless you were a well seasoned judge!
MJ