News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon Slayer

Thank you John.  The E and 4 digits is a little unknown.  I have found the same code on MC from my region (E 7315) as an example, but folks living else where have a different code on the same MC type.  So maybe it is a manufacture plant identification.  Some have nothing after it, others may have another #.  Mine has a 21.  Your looks like 6.

Date code wise the pattern has been first digit is year, next 2 to 3 is day.  Followed by a letter which have been predominately B and C.   It looks like your MC is a replacement from 77?.  I believe the 6 after the code is not a year. 

The 2226821 is the correct MC for 68-70 B Bodies non Hemi.  70 was a change though.  Up to 69 disc were Bendix 4 piston, in 70 they moved to KH floating calipers so the pistons would be different inside the MC.

So here is the dilemma, for B bodies, 69 to 70 was a transition.  Up to and thru 69 the consensus is MC have no dates or codes on the side, they have a bail tag with date code.  The lid is 70R.

70 would have date code stamp on side and 1703 lid.  BUT, they had to run through old stock.

Since SB were a nov/dec 69 build, it would be interesting if original SB owners with known orig MC (potentially a rare thing) can identify lid and side markings?

I picked up a complete disc brake assembly at Carlisle several years ago that supposedly came from a SB.  But it could have been any B body with disc.  It was complete from linkage to MC with Tag, all foam and plastic insulators in place. Never looked like it was apart.  When I broke it down and recorded data on it, the booster had a 21Nov68 date code.  The MC Bail tag was 22Apr69, no side data, but a B stamped on nose.  Casting day of 42.  70R lid.  I was assuming a late 69 car.  Until I took the pistons out, and they were a later 70 type.  Now it looked like it was never touched, but it was 50 years old, so who really knows.  But with bail tag in place and all the easily damaged gaskets, it made me wonder.

Mopar John

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on May 24, 2019, 08:30:56 AM
Thank you John.  The E and 4 digits is a little unknown.  I have found the same code on MC from my region (E 7315) as an example, but folks living else where have a different code on the same MC type.  So maybe it is a manufacture plant identification.  Some have nothing after it, others may have another #.  Mine has a 21.  Your looks like 6.

Date code wise the pattern has been first digit is year, next 2 to 3 is day.  Followed by a letter which have been predominately B and C.   It looks like your MC is a replacement from 77?.  I believe the 6 after the code is not a year. 

The 2226821 is the correct MC for 68-70 B Bodies non Hemi.  70 was a change though.  Up to 69 disc were Bendix 4 piston, in 70 they moved to KH floating calipers so the pistons would be different inside the MC.

So here is the dilemma, for B bodies, 69 to 70 was a transition.  Up to and thru 69 the consensus is MC have no dates or codes on the side, they have a bail tag with date code.  The lid is 70R.

70 would have date code stamp on side and 1703 lid.  BUT, they had to run through old stock.

Since SB were a nov/dec 69 build, it would be interesting if original SB owners with known orig MC (potentially a rare thing) can identify lid and side markings?

I picked up a complete disc brake assembly at Carlisle several years ago that supposedly came from a SB.  But it could have been any B body with disc.  It was complete from linkage to MC with Tag, all foam and plastic insulators in place. Never looked like it was apart.  When I broke it down and recorded data on it, the booster had a 21Nov68 date code.  The MC Bail tag was 22Apr69, no side data, but a B stamped on nose.  Casting day of 42.  70R lid.  I was assuming a late 69 car.  Until I took the pistons out, and they were a later 70 type.  Now it looked like it was never touched, but it was 50 years old, so who really knows.  But with bail tag in place and all the easily damaged gaskets, it made me wonder.

A lot of information there to digest!
It sounds like late 68 and early 69 parts and date codes until you got to the later 70 type pistons?
I did have some replies and examples on lids and they were all over the place.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

More Superbird Updates!
I have been involved in a couple of topics on this site but didn't post here.
I didn't want those items to take my Superbird post sideways!
The first item is the six barrel air cleaner instruction decal.
It was produced 2 ways one with "severe conditions" on the bottom line of print.
I show that in my first picture.
The other version only had "conditions" on the bottom line of print.
I show that one in my second picture.
Both contain the factory filter part number 2946186 used on our cars.
After our discussion I have removed the "severe conditions" decal and installed the "conditions" decal.
The reason I did that is we received confirmation of 2 original six barrel Superbirds with that version!
The next item is the negative battery cable ground wire screw.
Again we had a discussion and I found that I had the wrong type that I show in my third picture.
After seeing a couple of the originals I dug through my hardware and found the correct one and installed it!
I show that in my last picture.
In addition I have had the car out getting ready for a couple of local cruise nights.
I had people following me and others taking videos with their phones.
I have something that will bring some discussion in my next reply!
MJ

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

OUR SUPERBIRD HAS IT'S IDENTITY BACK!
When I bought the Superbird in the mid 70's the previous owner had bought 2 sets of 1970 Challenger T/A decals.
He made them into " 440 six pak " decals and mounted in a similar fashion to the Challengers.
I liked them because unlike the Daytona you can't tell what engine a Superbird has in it.
When I redid the Superbird myself back in 1980 I put another pair of the decals on.
I show those in my first 2 pictures of the original fenders that were replaced during the restoration.
With a couple events coming up and planning to street drive the Superbird for the first time since 2013,
it was time to get those decals back on!
This time I had them done in white to match the " PLYMOUTH " quarter panel decals.
I show them installed in the third and fourth pictures.
So now any time old pictures come up I will know the time frame by looking at the decals!
It is a shame on all the cars that have had all those custom details removed during the restorations.
They all look the same now!
MJ

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

birdsandbees

Well I'll certainly know which car is John's in Alabama!!  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

moparstuart

Looks great john so glad you put them back on and  WHITE make them pop   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

birdsandbees

To add to your file John, my OE U joint straps.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Mopar John

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 10, 2019, 09:06:34 PM

Thanks Wayne!
Your 10 7 69 pinion straps and mounting bolts are the originals!
I have attached a picture from John ( GRAYBO) of his 10 7 69 originals.
I believe we have a pattern here?
For me I'm happy to have eliminated the mis-matched pair and have a pair of 8 13 69 on the Superbird.
If I ever come across a nice pair of 10 7 69 straps I will upgrade them!
MJ

Mopar John

Last Fridays Classic Car Show Valparaiso, Indiana and Saturdays Annual Cruise Night LaPorte, Indiana!
  I stared getting the Superbird ready for these 2 events about a week ahead of time!
The first things were tire pressures, looking to see if there were any leaks and bleeding the brakes.
Next up was to start it and let it run for a while.
OH NO! I smell fuel under the hood!
I removed the six barrel air cleaner and started the engine again.
I found that the center carburetor was getting damp with fuel under the fuel bowl.
I had to get a special 90 degree screw driver to tighten it up because they are mounted one in front of the other.
I went and tightened all 3 fuel bowls and they are took about a half of a turn to be tight again.
The last thing I wanted was a fuel leak under the hood.
Next up was a nice cleanup for the shows and a short road trip to the college nearby and back.
All went well so another short road trip to the gas station in Westville and a cruise through town.
So Friday night 426 Linda and I made the trip to Valparaiso to the show and back about a 30 mile round trip!
There were about 300 cars there and the Superbird got a lot of attention.
The only scary moment was when the temp gage got to the high end of the operating range.
The thermostat most have been stuck from setting and finally started working!
Next up was the LaPorte annual cruise night.
When we got to the fairgrounds and parked there were so many people looking at the Superbird you couldn't take a picture.
There were about 500 cars there for the 6pm to 8pm cruise through down town LaPorte!
The first 1/2 hour was barely moving traffic and gridlock till all the cars got in and moving.
This was the hot engine compartment test for the Superbird and it did great with the temp gage staying in the middle of the operating range!
There were several cars on the side of the streets with overheating and battery problems!
I have attached a couple of pictures from the staging lot at the fairgrounds.
MJ
P.S. We went to the rescheduled NASCAR race in Michigan last night and I told 426 Linda that I wanted to take the Superbird!
   The look on her face was priceless!

70gtx440dana

Quote from: Mopar John on June 11, 2019, 09:55:23 AM

Thanks Wayne!
For me I'm happy to have eliminated the mis-matched pair and have a pair of 8 13 69 on the Superbird.
MJ

John, I sent you an email to the frontier email address. I have a pair of the 10 7 69 straps you are looking for.   Joe
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

birdsandbees

Quote from: 70gtx440dana on June 12, 2019, 08:33:13 AM

Thanks Wayne!
MJ

John, I sent you an email to the frontier email address. I have a pair of the 10 7 69 straps you are looking for.   Joe

NICE!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Wingnut426

The straps on my Hemi 'bird are 10 7 69 as well.  :Twocents: WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

odcics2

It would be hard to believe 3 months of Bird production would all have the same strap date codes.  :Twocents:

The Birds mentioned must be close to the same build dates!!

:coolgleamA:

birdsandbees

John's car is 11,103 VIN's AFTER mine..  (how many RR's did they build a day??)
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Wingnut426

I read somewhere they had to build 37 Superbirds a day to meet the requirement by Dec. 31,1969.  :Twocents: WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

6bblgt

Lynch Rd. 1970 was 55% Plymouth B-body & 45% Dodge Coronet

roughly 730 cars per day (~400 Plymouths & ~330 Dodges)

cars were NOT built in VIN sequence, but if you compare top line fender tag sequence numbers (or better yet, top line broadcast sheet sequence numbers), you'll see how close the 2 cars were on the assembly line

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

odcics2

Also need to consider how many at Lynch were performance cars v non-performance, and getting the small U-joint. 

That would make the supply of large straps last longer...  :2thumbs:

6bblgt

an example of the relationship between the VIN's "ASSIGNED SEQUENCE" VS. the body's "FENDER TAG SEQUENCE" VS. one station's - B "INTERIOR SEQUENCE" & the date the car arrived at Clairpointe.

these numbers would suggest ~57 Superbirds were built per day mid-November 1969

held1823

i can't speak specifically to the u joint straps, but can add a little first hand knowledge to the lack of any rhyme or reason regarding casting dates.

i worked at Chrysler's machining and forge plant here  and know, beyond any doubt, that first in, first out inventory was not even a consideration. this applied to both raw castings and finished products. the fork lift drivers had zero regard for rotating any stock. the stuff wasn't produce, nothing would rot if not used in sequence.

a shipping box of small parts such as these straps would contain thousands of pieces, and the plant could run several boxes worth in a single day.  not to mention not every worker was prudent enough to change the date stamps as would be the norm. they could have ran this casting date for a week before someone bothered to change it. i assure you no worker was stopping to make sure he installed a set of matching date codes on anything assembled there.

the same philosophy applied to paint markings. i personally applied tens of thousand of them, and other than using the correct color to identify the shift, there would be little uniformity to them. different applicator bottles/tips,  the hand pressure when applying the mark, and a dozen other variables all play into it. at new castle, white paint indicated day shift,  yellow on afternoons, and blue for nights, during my years there
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 14, 2019, 12:12:01 PM
Thanks! Mine's B170744
Mine is B179546 so that brings them a bit closer in time!
The bottom line is that if Wayne's original straps are dated 10 7 69 and my Superbird was made later,
I am headed in the right direction by getting a pair of 10 7 69 straps vs the 8 13 69 straps on the car!
Thanks to all for the information!
Wingnut426,
Since you have a pair of 10 7 69 straps what is the sequence of your car?
Thanks! MJ

Wingnut426

I don't have a Broadcast sheet.  It was a later built car at Creative Industries. WINGNUT426
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Mopar John

Quote from: 70gtx440dana on June 12, 2019, 08:33:13 AM

Thanks Wayne!
MJ

I responded to Joes e-mail and we worked out a deal for his 10 7 69 straps!
My first picture shows the straps that I got from Joe.
I decided to give both of them a light bead blast so they would look the same.
I show them after the bead blast in the second picture.
The last picture shows the straps with a light coat of clear and the bolts ready to install.
They are now on the Superbird!
Thanks Joe!
MJ