News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA HOODS ?

Started by 65post, January 10, 2006, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I've found Hemi casting dates to have a lot of discrepancies compared to the normal rules of thumb on that.  As near as I've been able to find out, Hemi castings were made in more infrequent batches than say, 440 blocks, so it isn't an unusual spread really to have the casting and assembly dates that far apart.  It's a Hemi anamoly.
How many Hemi blocks were cast in 67?

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on January 14, 2006, 08:17:04 PM
Gene just curious but the build sheet he found in that car, I know he hooked up with the owner at the nationals. But the guy who had the Q5 car, had another build sheet, did he give that one to Clayton? I believe it was for a Y2 yellow car.

Yes, I was given that Y2 build sheet by Clayton, and in turn I gave it to Doug Schellinger.  He was able to reunite it with the correct car's owner, Dean R. from Texas after running a blurb on this "found" build sheet in the DSAC newsletter.  I was glad to see Dean get his sheet, and I'm sure it came as somewhat of a (very pleasant) surprise to him...

You never know where one of these aero car threads is gonna end up, do ya?

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2006, 08:37:15 PM
I've found Hemi casting dates to have a lot of discrepancies compared to the normal rules of thumb on that. As near as I've been able to find out, Hemi castings were made in more infrequent batches than say, 440 blocks, so it isn't an unusual spread really to have the casting and assembly dates that far apart. It's a Hemi anamoly.
How many Hemi blocks were cast in 67?

Ghoste, I've seen the same thing you have on Hemi cast vs. assembly dates, especially in the '67 and '68 model years.  I've heard that they made a bunch of blocks in '66, and didn't make too many after that until the supply ran out during the 68 model year.  I don't know the actual production numbers though.

Just to be clear, the V2 Daytona is a 440 car, not a Hemi.  If it was a Hemi, it would be a bargain at $90k even as bad off as that body is.  I just thought that its cast/assembly date spread was a little abnormal for a 440, considering how many of those they went through.

nascarxx29

Even though we got off the hood subject a little bit .It still was helpfull to get a fair assesment of the 2 daytonas.The Y2 and the V2 current evaluations of worth in there present conditions. In comparision of these 2,Of what value in todays market could be given to a all correct numbers car.Reference original 22k miles Parked in 1977.In a present unrestored form.

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbirds%20&%20Daytonas/pg22.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

I'm not paying attention I guess Geno, I don't know why I started talking about Hemi's and I knew that car was a 440.  It's late, time to pack it in.

chargervert

Hey Dave,as I have stated to you before,I don't think you,I or most of the people on this board could afford to buy your car on todays market! That is unless we wanted to live in it! Although a Charger could probably sleep a family of 4!

69_500

I don't know what value your car would bring on the open market Dave. It surely wouldn't be cheap.

I didn't know that was the broadcast sheet that was listed as reunited with the owner. So all in all with the finding of this Daytona, and it being at the nationals, 2 Daytona owner got their buildsheets. Great news.

nascarxx29

These prices today.Are far from what Im used to But if your gonna get a deal it wont be on the internet.Even today in my travels .Off the front page radar screen for years .Ive gotten 40mi Ebody $250.00 70 E conv body Project $50.00.Found Dayclona Mikes partner Gary Mendelow a 69 charger 500 for under $1500.00.That one was in the 80s .But still today I turn up deals .And throw them a  deal

Dodge Don

One must never say never, however I've never seen a 70 Charger without the ribs. I've been through all the pictures I've filed over the years and every one has ribs. The infamous FC7 70 Daytona R/T SE wanna-be also looks like it has ribs.

I started a thread on this at the 70 Charger Registry and so far everyone is "ribbed". That includes August and September 69 built cars.

I'd love to see more on this.

In the 1970 Chrysler Parts Manual the 70 Charger hood is part number 3417057 and the notation says this was also used on the 1969 Daytona.

chargervert

I have 11, 70 Charger hoods,I'm gonna check them all to see if there are any with out the ribs! Who knows maybe I will find one without them,and that will be the hood I use for my clone!

nascarxx29

Hi Dodge Don .I noticed you have a 70 RT SE V code charger.My friend has a 70 FC7 440-6 4 speed super track pack car Am 8 track 6 way seat etc options.Dont see to many RT SE 440-6 ,More seldom seen is just a RT

dayclona

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 15, 2006, 01:36:24 PM
One must never say never, however I've never seen a 70 Charger without the ribs. I've been through all the pictures I've filed over the years and every one has ribs. The infamous FC7 70 Daytona R/T SE wanna-be also looks like it has ribs.

I started a thread on this at the 70 Charger Registry and so far everyone is "ribbed". That includes August and September 69 built cars.

I'd love to see more on this.

In the 1970 Chrysler Parts Manual the 70 Charger hood is part number 3417057 and the notation says this was also used on the 1969 Daytona.

The "Great Hood" debate!...............can't wait when the study turns to the safety latch, modified 69 / 70?............see mostly 69 latches,........howvever a few modified 70 pcs on original cars,........................lanyards?.........have seen 3 configurations,............everybody in agreement on hood pin benzel orintation?

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

69_500

Hmmm, so the latches vary too? Only kidding, yeah it seems that many of the parts on these cars vary from car to car. Was it due to multiple supliers? Or the vast time difference in when one car could have left Creative, and another began to be put together? I don't know. I wasn't there. All I can say for certain is this, there is hardly any 2 cars that Mopar put out in that era that are exactly alike.

chargervert

Thats right Dan,and thats why I wouldn't want to be the GURU of this hobby!

69_500

I'll agree with you on that one Pete. There was so much going on that wasn't suppposed to be going on back them. They had a list of rules and order to follow, but much like a work place today, not everyone follows the orders. If a part fit, they used it. Even if it was the wrong one. I mean heck look at all the runs in paint on origional paint cars? Were they in a hurry there or what?

hemigeno

I think everyone agrees that there are exceptions to every "rule", especially when it comes to MaMopar.

Anyone who aspires to the position of MoparGuru is only setting themselves up for failure if they deal in absolutes.  However, we can certainly figure out how the majority of Daytonas were built.  

Most Daytona hoods did not have crash ribs.
Most Daytona safety latches were '69s with no pull rod
Most Daytona's hood pin bezels were in a "+"

etc. etc...

There are original cars out there with exceptions, no doubt about it.  But there are also tons of guys, not necessarily Daytona owners, who claim their car (or another type of car) was made a certain way from the factory, when it almost certainly was not.  I meet those guys at every show, and they're a constant source of entertainment for me, anyway.  So, should you believe every person's claims?  Others might, but I wouldn't without doing a whole lot more investigation.  I do, however, know better than to say that every car was made exactly the same, because that's just not true either.

Since my car is missing its original hood and other hood-related components (due to the engine fire), I will use what "most" Daytona's had on them as guidance for how I restore my car.  It's almost impossible to argue that a particular car was one of the exceptions to the rule-of-thumb.  If I could prove it was original, I'd leave it the way it was.  That's not the case with my car, so the accepted "norms" are a much better alternative IMHO.

We can get technical and say that each time a question is answered a disclaimer should be attached saying that some original cars do differ from how the majority were built.  That should be understood by anyone within the Mopar hobby to begin with, if they've been around it very long.  If someone owns a car with unusual traits, be proud of it and leave it just like it is.  I personally wouldn't use such exceptions to sway others to restore their cars with such traits though.

:Twocents:

chargervert

The Mopar disclaimer, The views expressed,by this wanna be Mopar Guru,are not the views of the real Mopar Guru,therefore,are believed to be pure fabricated bullshit! We reserve the right to say Mopar "never built them like that" at any time We feel the need to do so! We also reserve the right to say your car is incorrect,and to have your car destoryed,so others like it are not spawned by it! These views are not to be used without the expressed written consent of NASCAR,or the NFL! The side effects,are dry throat,nausia,vomiting,erratic,and irritable bowel movements! Super colin blow is not for everyone,contact your doctor,or guru immeadiately if any of these symptoms occur! P.S. no actual records exist to verify any of this! Any relation to real life events,is purely coincidential,and this post is purely fictional! Do not try this at home,this bullshit is being spread by professionals,with SPECIALIZED SPECIALIZED skills in the field of B.S. Some of us even have Degrees in B.S. This disclaimer meets all federal,state,and local copyright laws,and dupilication,is illeagal,and vilolators will be prosicuted to the full extent of the law! These are not the views of this poster!

hemigeno

Quote from: chargervert on January 16, 2006, 10:59:22 AM
The Mopar disclaimer, The views expressed,by this wanna be Mopar Guru,are not the views of the real Mopar Guru,therefore,are believed to be pure fabricated bullshit! We reserve the right to say Mopar "never built them like that" at any time We feel the need to do so! We also reserve the right to say your car is incorrect,and to have your car destoryed,so others like it are not spawned by it! These views are not to be used without the expressed written consent of NASCAR,or the NFL! The side effects,are dry throat,nausia,vomiting,erratic,and irritable bowel movements! Super colin blow is not for everyone,contact your doctor,or guru immeadiately if any of these symptoms occur! P.S. no actual records exist to verify any of this! Any relation to real life events,is purely coincidential,and this post is purely fictional! Do not try this at home,this bullshit is being spread by professionals,with SPECIALIZED SPECIALIZED skills in the field of B.S. Some of us even have Degrees in B.S. This disclaimer meets all federal,state,and local copyright laws,and dupilication,is illeagal,and vilolators will be prosicuted to the full extent of the law! These are not the views of this poster!

:shruggy:

Did I offend you, Pete, and if so, what statement offended you?

:ahum:

69_500

I don't think he meant that anyone offended him, I think he was just making a point. There should be a disclamer out there for Mopars. Never say never, and never say that they only did something this way and only this way.

chargervert

No Geno,not at all,I just thought it would be funny to write an actual disclaimer! I think you made a valid point about it!

chargervert

I was kinda hoping for a few laughs! You know a tension breaker!

69_500

Hmmm, a little comic relief. Which is always a good thing to have.

These aero threads lately have gone in some weird circles.

BigBlockSam

QuoteThese aero threads lately have gone in some weird circles 
:iagree:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

I laughed at the disclaimer.

nascarxx29

The hood latch Ive seen on daytonas .Is like the one on my car.Looks to be the regular 69 charger piece.Without the pull handle and bracket . Is there another type used.

69_500

I think that there are few cars that have modified 70 latches on them. Haven't seen too many of them this way, but I do recall 1 for sure. But I think that it was more like a handful or so.