News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA HOODS ?

Started by 65post, January 10, 2006, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

I just read some new info on the 1970 charger board on the hood discussion .And some posted a time line.

Feb built 500- ribbed

June built 500- ribbed

Two Dec built R/T's - ribbed

Never noticed this before or that 70 trunk lids had cut outs for the go wing. Learn something all the time here.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

Old thread I know....but I just saw the hood on that moss covered barn find Daytona on TV....no ribs on the underside of the hood

Aero426

Quote from: A383Wing on January 22, 2016, 03:26:34 PM
Old thread I know....but I just saw the hood on that moss covered barn find Daytona on TV....no ribs on the underside of the hood

That means it's a real Daytona hood. 

70 sublime

So did all Daytonas have no ribs on their hoods ??

Did they ever make any 70 Chargers with no ribs ?????
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 22, 2016, 08:53:41 PM
So did all Daytonas have no ribs on their hoods ??

Did they ever make any 70 Chargers with no ribs ?????

did you start reading from page 1 ?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

OK so I read through it all

Still do not understand how if some Daytonas had no ribs and some had ribs (later built cars with newer parts ? ) how could some 70 Chargers have no ribs if they used up all the no rib hoods on the Daytonas

I have these 2 hoods in my spare parts pile one of each

Is there a part number someplace on the no rib hood to look for ?

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

A383Wing

early hoods didn't have the holes at the cowl end for the hood turn signal wiring either

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 22, 2016, 11:00:39 PM

Still do not understand how if some Daytonas had no ribs and some had ribs (later built cars with newer parts ? ) how could some 70 Chargers have no ribs if they used up all the no rib hoods on the Daytonas

How about pics of the lower left and right areas of the hood, with the cowl seal removed.
There is more to a Daytona hood than the lack of ribs.  :Twocents:

Post those pics and I will let you know what to look for.  :cheers:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Questions we will probably never have the answers to, I've been told over the years from some very knowledgeable sources that there were 3 supply vendors for "70" Charger hoods, which would make some since seeing the various deviations in design/construction, we all know that Chrysler would use up allocated stock with no rhyme or reason, that's why some cars have/may use early or late pieces/components on them with no regard to build dates/production schedules, I know some attribute the no rib hood to being Daytona specific because of supposed latch tray interference, but I have viewed a handful of Tona's over the years that did have ribbed hoods on them, seemingly original looking cars, sorry but I was never really interested in VON's/ scheduled build dates in regards to the hood rib mystery to compile a data base

Mike

Redbird

Mike, thanks for the insight about the different vendors. Like a lot of other things on the cars where there were multiple vendors, differences between vendors make a lot of since.

Not being a Daytona owner, if someone really wanted a non-ribbed hood but if they had a ribbed hood that had been replaced on a car; hasn't someone figured out how to pull a hood apart, put a non ribbed front on a proper back or whole underside from a second car, then put the whole thing back together again?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on January 23, 2016, 12:46:10 PM

Not being a Daytona owner, if someone really wanted a non-ribbed hood but if they had a ribbed hood that had been replaced on a car; hasn't someone figured out how to pull a hood apart, put a non ribbed front on a proper back or whole underside from a second car, then put the whole thing back together again?

Done all the time, even on those supposed "all-original" restored "fully documented" Tona' restorations...lol

Mike

DAY CLONA

Plus another option to investigate is the "safety factor" mandated by Federal Crash guidelines, perhaps the "early" run of hoods that didn't have the ribs either because the hoods didn't need them because of the nosecone?, or perhaps it was later found that they were required by Federal guidelines?, so either they were later retooled?, or another vendor supplied a superseded replacement? or with 70 Charger production around the corner it was a new requirement?...just look at the 70 E body Shaker Hood (Challenger) crumple/non crumple zone rib scenario that caused the hood option to be suspended in the middle of production, and re-offered in 1970 after Federal guideline crash spec'd hoods were available

Mike

Dodge Don

Quote from: A383Wing on January 22, 2016, 11:22:22 PM
early hoods didn't have the holes at the cowl end for the hood turn signal wiring either

My 70 hood (908 build) is ribbed (for my pleasure) however does not have the holes at the cowl for the hood turn signal wiring. There are holes for wiring clips for running the wires under the hood (not through the hood as typical). I was the only 70 at Carlisle with this anomaly.

FJMG

Maybe the ribs have nothing to do with the daytona. Maybe they started to 70 design without them and a few of the personnel bent the front lip of the hood when slamming it shut on the first few cars. A revision was designed and Chrysler said "use the old ones up on the daytonas!".