News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD to be raffled for Alzheimer's charity

Started by moparstuart, June 23, 2011, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110619/SPORTS/106190315/Rare-bird-Supercar-restored-charity-raffle

For anyone who appreciates classic cars, one of the more sought-after examples ever offered can be had for as little as a takeout meal.

And it's for a good cause.

The Brevard Alzheimer's Foundation and the Boniface-Hiers Automotive Group are selling $25 tickets for a rare 1970 yellow Plymouth Superbird to be raffled at the foundation's 19th annual ALZ BBQ and Car Drawing set for May 19, 2012.

It's a car that took three years for foundation benefactor A.J. Hiers to procure and three months and 140 hours for Earl Shiflett -- who recently lost a family member to Alzheimer's -- to work his magic on the vehicle's body and engine at his business, Classic Car Creations in Cocoa.

It was a labor of love.

"It's a show car, it's beautiful," said Shiflett, who has been in the restoration business since 2005. "Whoever gets the car actually does get an original car. It's the real deal. You don't see many 'Birds like that.

"We were very impressed with it, especially when we dug down in. Of course, little dings, dents, a little rust here or there. But for a car her age, she's whole."

Hiers, owner/operator of the Boniface-Hiers Automotive Group, has been involved with the Alzheimer's Foundation for 18 years or since founder Joe Steckler came by his dealership seeking his assistance. And what began as a small raffle that initially offered a new car to the winner has grown into a much-larger affair appealing to a spectrum of people from the average man and woman to those who know their way around a classic automobile.

And there have been many including Hiers' personal collector car, a numbers-matching, 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi that he offered for raffle in 1998.

That's when Hiers and Steckler decided to raise the ante by appealing to the primal lure that is a mint-condition classic car.

They've never looked back -- except for the pangs of regret Hiers admitted to feeling after the person who won the Hemi took it to the Barrett Jackson Classic Car auction and sold it for a handsome profit.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68X426

Great cause, and who doesn't want a shot a Superbird? Even if it is yellow. :pity:

So I went to the website. The auction tickets they are selling are for Dodge Super Bee. HUH? :shruggy:

I sent an e-mail to the organization to ask what's up.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hitail

Must have updated their website as it has the Bird shown with a nice picture slide show.

Hitail

richRTSE

68X426

The folks running the site said they forgot to change the tickets to say Superbird (the Superbee was an old auction).

Too funny .... it's a fundraiser for an Alzheimer charity, and they forgot ......  :eek2:

Said they would get it changed tomorrow. I'll send some money. :yesnod:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Rolling_Thunder

eh -  I'd have to give it back...   it's an automatic      :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

moparstuart

nitrometal

Quote from: 68X426 on June 23, 2011, 07:57:17 PM
The folks running the site said they forgot to change the tickets to say Superbird (the Superbee was an old auction).

Too funny .... it's a fundraiser for an Alzheimer charity, and they forgot ......  :eek2:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  That's classic!

I picked up the new issue of Mopar Action the other day because I saw what was on the cover.
I'm gonna buy me a ticket so the rest of you guys might as well tear yours up because you know how I am about winning Superbirds!!!    ::)
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

moparstuart

Quote from: nitrometal on June 24, 2011, 08:54:07 AM
Quote from: 68X426 on June 23, 2011, 07:57:17 PM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  That's classic!

I picked up the new issue of Mopar Action the other day because I saw what was on the cover.
I'm gonna buy me a ticket so the rest of you guys might as well tear yours up because you know how I am about winning Superbirds!!!    ::)
dam you 

Old Moparz

I will probably buy a ticket to go for the cause, but not so sure if I want to win. The contest states that the buyer is responsible for all taxes & fees. This is typical & understandable, but I'm sure that the IRS will have someone hiding in the shrubs outside when you pick up the keys to hand you a bill based on a 6 figure Superbird value. Told my wife last night that I'd probably have to sell 2 of my cars just to pay the tax if I won.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TheAutoArchaeologist

I bought one while it was there on Power Tour.  The bird looked good.

Ryan

68X426

They fixed their site. Direct link to the ticket sale: http://shop.hemibbq.org/

Link to the info: http://www.viperbbq.org/superbird.html

EDIT on 11-21-11: they keep changing the website. Now: http://www.alzbbq.com

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Golden-Arm

there's no excuse, for those decals on the nose though. :brickwall:

moparstuart

nitrometal

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 24, 2011, 10:09:15 AM
I will probably buy a ticket to go for the cause, but not so sure if I want to win. The contest states that the buyer is responsible for all taxes & fees. This is typical & understandable, but I'm sure that the IRS will have someone hiding in the shrubs outside when you pick up the keys to hand you a bill based on a 6 figure Superbird value. Told my wife last night that I'd probably have to sell 2 of my cars just to pay the tax if I won.   ::)

Well, my grand prize fund total was $50,000.00 and that was at the time even a really good clone was pushing six figures.  I had to pay over $12k to Uncle Sam and I tell you what,  I'll buy them all day long at that price!  Imagine paying 1/4 of the actual price tag of this car?  You might never get an opportunity like that again.
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

WINGIN IT

Old Moparz

Quote from: nitrometal on June 24, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on June 24, 2011, 10:09:15 AM

Well, my grand prize fund total was $50,000.00 and that was at the time even a really good clone was pushing six figures.  I had to pay over $12k to Uncle Sam and I tell you what,  I'll buy them all day long at that price!  Imagine paying 1/4 of the actual price tag of this car?  You might never get an opportunity like that again.

Trust me, I'd find a way to pay the taxes to get a Superbird, I just know I don't have that kind of money laying around to give to our congressional, freeloading, charity organization. Selling cars I have already is the only way. There are many documented cases of people having to sell what they won to be able to pay the taxes on the prize.  ::)
               Bob                

thedodgeboys

Ill buy it for the tax bill  :yesnod:

It would look good in my garage  :coolgleamA:

wingedone

QuoteThe Superbird has become quite valuable. A Superbird can fetch anywhere from $300,000 to $2,000,000. At Barrett Jackson, bids for original Superbirds crossed $1,200,000.

Really...

moparstuart

Quote from: wingedone on June 24, 2011, 09:33:21 PM
QuoteThe Superbird has become quite valuable. A Superbird can fetch anywhere from $300,000 to $2,000,000. At Barrett Jackson, bids for original Superbirds crossed $1,200,000.

Really...
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  you can make up and write what ever you want i guess :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

dreamcatcher

Wow I just hired armed guards to watch my clone...just incase it is worth a teenth of that... :smilielol:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Golden-Arm

Big Bird

Stu, thanks for the link info., great benefit for a greater cause. I've made my donation !. This is dear to my heart in that my wife was diagnosed with this horrible desease @ age 55 ( 7 years ago now ). Any & all efforts to support this drive are well appreciated.
BIG - BIRD :)

pettybird

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 24, 2011, 06:33:47 PM

Trust me, I'd find a way to pay the taxes to get a Superbird, I just know I don't have that kind of money laying around to give to our congressional, freeloading, charity organization. Selling cars I have already is the only way. There are many documented cases of people having to sell what they won to be able to pay the taxes on the prize.  ::)

oh, boo hoo.  Seriously?  it's FREE, minus taxes.  Ask those 'documented' people that had to sell if they were really unhappy getting what was left over.  Worst case, you could sell this car and clear 70 grand after taxes.  Aw SHUCKS.  The only truly disappointed people are idiots.

Old Moparz

Quote from: pettybird on June 28, 2011, 09:13:57 AM

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 24, 2011, 06:33:47 PM

oh, boo hoo.  Seriously?  it's FREE, minus taxes.  Ask those 'documented' people that had to sell if they were really unhappy getting what was left over.  Worst case, you could sell this car and clear 70 grand after taxes.  Aw SHUCKS.  The only truly disappointed people are idiots.

You clearly missed the point I was making. I never said anything about anyone being disappointed in winning, including myself. It's just that in order to keep a dream car prize you'd have to sell something to offset the cost of the taxes implemented by people who don't work for a living, the politicians. This is sales tax on a 6 figure item, not a pack of gum.
               Bob