News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wing cars, how many are left + known to exist?

Started by TONY, June 30, 2011, 09:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONY

i was wondering if there are any counts of daytonas and superbirds that are known to exist

and

how many are known to have been destroyed and their vins do not live on

im sorry if this has been asked before, but i havent seen the numbers

thank you
tony

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

TONY

i didnt mean an input from all wing cars owners,

i was interested in if there is a comprehensive list that has been compiled

moparstuart

Quote from: TONY on June 30, 2011, 09:55:12 AM
i was wondering if there are any counts of daytonas and superbirds that are known to exist

and

how many are known to have been destroyed and their vins do not live on

im sorry if this has been asked before, but i havent seen the numbers

thank you
tony
good luck
   with that question
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Arnie Cunningham

I have data ranging in verification accuracy from personal inspection to hearsay on over 800 Superbirds.  I personally believe that 1500 of the Superbird VINs still exist somewhere.  These would range from "tags in a bag" to un-restored, assembly line original, low mileage cars and every conceivable condition between these extremes.  I have personally not tracked the "condition" of cars as that is a quagmire I do not wish to get involved in.  Instead I have sought only data on configuration.

Every year we see a couple of stories from long term owners who have kept their cars hidden.  I believe we will see an increase in these stories as people age and they, or their heirs, decide it's time to let the car go.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

I compile numbers from actual cars I know about from years car shows and cruises nights And cars Ive owned and personally know about off the record books.The club cars on the older records are either missing in action or other circumstances to postively establish they are currently existing other than the recorded vin  :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

68X426

Doesn't the Winged Warriors group maintain a database?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Aero426

Daytona Superbird Auto Club maintains a database.  I ran a breakdown of the known Superbirds in the newsletter fairly recently.  

1271 Superbirds
389 Daytonas

I would suggest that with few exceptions, almost all of these cars are still around in one form or another.    If the car made it to the formation of the clubs in the mid to late 70's,  it is probably still here unless fire or other catastrophe took it out.  And even those cars in modern times (1990 and later) aren't being junked.  

More cars are out there waiting to be discovered.   

TONY

Doug, thats great info

thank you for posting!

tony

Richard Cranium

Considering the amount of cars built, that's a pretty darned good survivor ratio; especially Daytonas.
I am Dr. Remulac

Aero426

Quote from: Richard Cranium on June 30, 2011, 03:18:37 PM
Considering the amount of cars built, that's a pretty darned good survivor ratio; especially Daytonas.

Yes it is.  It is quite a bit higher percentage wise compared to the known Talladega and Spoiler II cars.   I would attribute this to the weird factor of the wing cars.    If 60 percent of all 1969 and 1970 muscle cars still existed, there would be a whole lot more from which to choose.   That is a huge survival rate in my opinion.   

moparstuart

i know of one green superbird that was sacrificed somewhere around 1979-80 ish so that this car could be

also another yellow car so i could get my second wing , Dave  B. may know more info on where that car went .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

I know they are like the red headed step children of the AERO cars but I can attest for 262 of the Charger 500's. Not quite a big of a number as the one's Doug has on the Daytona's and Birds.

FJ5WING

Quote from: 69_500 on June 30, 2011, 07:57:04 PM
I know they are like the red headed step children of the AERO cars but I can attest for 262 of the Charger 500's. Not quite a big of a number as the one's Doug has on the Daytona's and Birds.

how many of them still exist but in Daytona form?  :rotz:
wingless now, but still around.