News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Beware of Krylon paint! They have a new formula.....

Started by resq302, July 07, 2011, 08:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Alkyd enamel = Rustoleum.   :rotz: :rotz:
It never fully "cures". You need to wait a few days, sometimes up to a week, to recoat.

If you insist on using rattle can paints, try Duplicolor or Plastikote instead. Or, spend the extra $$$ and go for SEM rattle can paint, available at any auto body supply store. It's about double what you'll pay for Krylon or Duplicolor, but a much better product.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Oh goodie.  So the new Krylon is just as good as Rustoleum then.    :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ramairthree

thank you for the warning and information.

Now I know what happened to me a while back on another project.  I was positive I used the same paint, but chalked it up to not correctly remembering what I needed to get more of.

As someone that owns a smallblock 74 automatic RR with 73 Satellite interior, Corboda wrong color bucket seats, NOM, an "adapted" header back exhaust system, 3 different brand headlights, no wiper motor, a non functioning horn, no functioning rear lights, metallic sludge in the oil pain, a leaking peg leg rear diff, sunroof that does not work, no antenna, no heater box, a not competely correct windshield replacement, ratty carpet, cracked dash, and still in primer,
but starts right up and has great functioning brakes,
I am throwing no stones about choice of paint.

FLG

Hey Brian,

This is the paint i was talking to you about,

http://www.montana-cans.com/products/cans/gold/new-montana-gold#more11323

It seems A LOT of artists use it, around here its a lot of graffiti LOL but id imagine it might work well for your projects...

Heres a video, you get some AWESOME control from a spray can, covers awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVIlofOYxHU

resq302

Frank,

They seem to have a limited color selection.  The only green I found is an Irish Green and it is only a 150 ml can.  I wonder how close the green would be to the color I need.

Oops, wait, I just noticed I was in the wrong section.  I found a bunch of greens.  I will have to contact the company and see what kinda base product they use.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

Oh you guys just wait till you buy the new "Water based" AUTOMOTIVE paints....They are "Wonderful" to try and spray....

Said ALL paint will be water based by the end of the year.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sixpack_sid

Shoot Cooter! I better go to the paint supply store & buy my touch up paint NOW!! Before they change it to water based.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Charger-Bodie

We switched to water at the shop this week. From the sampling and testing we did previous its really nice stable paint. I'm looking forward to using something better for the environment and my own health.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

So what happens when it rains outside?  Will I have to repaint my car after every storm?   :smilielol:
Brian

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on July 16, 2011, 04:23:53 PM
So what happens when it rains outside?  Will I have to repaint my car after every storm?   :smilielol:

Do you have to with your house?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

resq302

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 16, 2011, 05:10:08 PM
Quote from: resq302 on July 16, 2011, 04:23:53 PM

Do you have to with your house?

nope cause I have vinyl siding and aluminum trim. :nana:
Brian

bill440rt

There are many shops I deal with around here on a regular basis that have been using waterborne paints for a while now. Like anything else the initial transition is a little difficult, but once they are up & running and become accustomed to the stuff they all seem to really like it. Supposedly, it covers better, blends better, the metallics are more vibrant, etc vs solvent-based paints. The downside is the larger expense to convert (spray booth with special fans, dryers, etc), & the longer flash time on a humid day.

You don't really thin the paint with straight water, but rather a special water-based "solvent". And, only the basecoat & some primers are water based. The clearcoat is still solvent-based.

I don't think that by the end of the year "all" paints will be completely replaced with water-borne. "All" is a pretty strong statement. Like the older lacquer paints, yes solvent paints will eventually be phased out. But, it will take a few years not months. The technology is not there yet for water-borne clear coats.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brock Lee

And there will always be loopholes. You can still buy all the lacquer products you want, decades after it was phased out of the auto industry through the woodworking industry. I buy all my nitrocelluose lacquer from California, the state with the toughest laws in regards to paint. The low cost options may dry up, but there will always be alternatives.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on July 16, 2011, 08:58:26 PM
There are many shops I deal with around here on a regular basis that have been using waterborne paints for a while now. Like anything else the initial transition is a little difficult, but once they are up & running and become accustomed to the stuff they all seem to really like it. Supposedly, it covers better, blends better, the metallics are more vibrant, etc vs solvent-based paints. The downside is the larger expense to convert (spray booth with special fans, dryers, etc), & the longer flash time on a humid day.

You don't really thin the paint with straight water, but rather a special water-based "solvent". And, only the basecoat & some primers are water based. The clearcoat is still solvent-based.

I don't think that by the end of the year "all" paints will be completely replaced with water-borne. "All" is a pretty strong statement. Like the older lacquer paints, yes solvent paints will eventually be phased out. But, it will take a few years not months. The technology is not there yet for water-borne clear coats.

Some of th lines of Waterbase actually do use distilled water as oposed to sovlent reducer. We switched from Sikkens Autobase plus to Sikken Autowave.

Aero426

Just got bit on this.   Sprayed a radiator top with Krylon last night at 11 PM,  went to touch it up tonight at 8 PM and it wrinkled.     Did not hose the stuff on either.     I guess their recoat after 24 hours statement means business.    Thought for sure I would be "close enough".  Unbelievable!   What a mess.

miamivice

I know this was originally posted in 2011...but for some reason I missed it back then.   Good to know, and sucks to hear  :-\