News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The rumor is true

Started by r4daytona, July 11, 2011, 10:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Well, the rumor is true, my Daytona is going to be restored on season 2 of Graveyard Carz.  Here's the story if your interested.  It all happened as a fluke phone call a month ago.  I was looking on ebay at a wiper motor and contacted the lady at Passion4mopars and asked if they restore them. They do, along with other stuff for mopars. Check them out, Kim is a great person and prices are reasonable.  Anyway, she mentioned how Chip Foose contacted her about some things and I simply made a joke about having my car done on a show and how cool it would be because nobody has ever done a Daytona, and chances are never will.  Next day I was on the phone with Mark Worman.  It took me a week to decide, but we figured it out and made a deal.  My car was packed up and waiting for the shipper within three days,  It arrived in Oregon today.  He's going to start on it in July.  I was going to use a local place who does awesome work, but what tipped the scales is that Mark knows Mopars.  Right now we have agreed to him doing a weather tight shell.  Sorry, that's all I can afford right now.  If I was a neurosurgeon, sure, but I'm a shop teacher on a budget.  Unfortunately, I'm sure some will have some comment about not being able to do the whole thing in one shot.  Anyway, what Mark and now some magazines (Mopar Action and MCG) are finding interesting about the story is that when I was 7 yrs. old, I had my dad make me a pinewood derby car with a wing – and it was purple!  Alot of other things in the works and I'll keep you posted as they unfold! Anyway I still have the pinewood derby car today, hopefully the pics came thru.  Then the next twist is that the car I bought, was the December 2010 Calendar car for Cars-in-Barns.  Here I am now at 48 FINALLY realizing my dream.  I NEVER give up.  So if anybody has some stuff to sell or leads where I can get some stuff, let me know.  I talked with Galen and the only owner I haven't been able to track down that I know of is a Murray Crowe.  Anybody Know of him? [If anybody has or can find my motor, THAT would be awesome and I'd give you some kind of finders fee if needed.  I know chances are slim.  If not perhaps a date coded HP.  My build date was 6-2.  It would be nice to find original Z-braces, even if they are beat up, to replace mine, but I know that's probably impossible.  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.  You guys are A LOT more knowledgeable about these cars than I am and I do enjoy learning from you guys.  By the way Daytonalo, your stainless is going to be installed on the show!  Lol  Looking forward to hearing anything helpful.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Congrats on getting the resto started on TV!!  Look forward to seeing it.  Keep us posted :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

jonw29

Oh Heck.Here we go!When you get it back the outer door handles will be gone replaced by door poppers and the trunk lock as well.It will also be sporting some 24" hoops.To top it off it will have a 6.1 new gen Hemi.No ALL joking aside.Chip dooes FANTASTIC work.Where does this show air?Keep us posted and congratulations.JW

dreamcatcher

:drool5: Congrats...I was praying for Dan Woods to come see me when my bird went through the exhaust shop wall backwards..but guess he never heard me  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

cant wait to see it on t.v   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

r4daytona

Thanks for the interest.  Season 1 is suppose to be coming out this fall I believe Mark said on Discovery HD/Velocity.  Not sure when season 2 is coming out. Since he said my car would take 6-8 months to do, I would imagine season 2 being spring/early summer next year. MCG mentioned doing two stories about this, one with Mark and his crew posing around the car and putting that on the cover of MCG.  THAT's something I never thought could happen. Accurate Exhaust is apparently doing an exhaust system for the car in exchange for some promotion.  Just wish I had a motor to hook it up to.  Still have some calls in to other places. There has been some pretty decent interest by some companies to be a part of this and they'd get some good exposure.

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

Daytona Guy

Congratulations. Where at in Oregon is this going to taKe place. Could I lend a hand?

Dane 

Brock Lee

What parts are you missing?

r4daytona

The shop is called Welby's Car Care in Springfield Oregon. I have to fly up there in the next few weeks so they can film/interview me while the car is the way it is to start the story off.  If anybody close by up there wants to help me get from the airport to the shop and back the next day I'll buy ya lunch and dinner!  You'd get to see the car in it's rough state--and it's rough.  Maybe they'd even get you on the first episode. lol  As far as parts go, where do I start!  First and formost is trying to find a motor that coincides with a 6/2 build date.  I'd love to get some original Z-braces. The ones I have were actually made by musclecarfinders. They seem pretty decent and I'm going to try and use them if I can because I can use that money for something else.  If they don't fit that well, then I'll buy some new ones.  Anybody have suggestions who to get z braces from that won't break the bank? Legendary is talking about doing an install on the show, but nothing confirmed yet. I would need a nice condition shifter. I know there's a million of those, but if someone has a decent one I'd talk. Also need a horn button, that little L-shaped chrome trim piece that goes on the back of the quarter a correct radiator and lots of other stuff.  Open for suggestions. 

TiMopar

Hello R4, regarding Murry Crowe, I bought a 69 Coronet R/T from him back in 1984 (which I still own). Met him at the Nationals at Indy. IIRC, he was a cotton farmer out of Vicksberg, MI. He had an enviable collection of Mopars back then including a Daytona (yours?), a Bird (white), AAR, Hemi 70 GTX (yellow) and Hemi 70 RR (lite green met.), that someone on Moparts now owns. Hope that helps? All the best with your car! Thinking about it, I may have a picture of it when Murry owned it... I will try and dig it out and post it.

nascarxx29

I used to have Z brackets but long since sold .Maybe post a list of unique daytona or general charger parts your looking for.There a some good repo ones out there
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46821.0.html  

You need to post a wanted parts list like this

Wanted  NOS only! 69 Daytona
Part #                        Description

2875758              Distributor-440 HP, auto

2930624-5               69 Charger tail lenses

2930624-1      Park lamp lenses 69 Valiant/Daytona

2932800-1      Park lamp lenses 69 Valiant/ Daytona

2822999                    Wiperarms

2802710             Manual outside mirror, leftside

2808446          Exhaust manifold het control

package- 440 HP

2863845             Choke- 440 4BBL

2275590            Ballast resistor

2933914-5         Rocker mouldings

Contact

Dave Mortensen

5700 Assisi Way

Loomis, CA 95650

(916) 928-0770 Work

(916) 624-8175 Home

e-mail dmortensen@ibs-team.com
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Daytona Guy

Quote from: r4daytona on July 13, 2011, 07:46:51 AM
The shop is called Welby's Car Care in Springfield Oregon. I have to fly up there in the next few weeks so they can film/interview me while the car is the way it is to start the story off.  If anybody close by up there wants to help me get from the airport to the shop and back the next day I'll buy ya lunch and dinner!  You'd get to see the car in it's rough state--and it's rough.  Maybe they'd even get you on the first episode. lol  As far as parts go, where do I start!  First and formost is trying to find a motor that coincides with a 6/2 build date.  I'd love to get some original Z-braces. The ones I have were actually made by musclecarfinders. They seem pretty decent and I'm going to try and use them if I can because I can use that money for something else.  If they don't fit that well, then I'll buy some new ones.  Anybody have suggestions who to get z braces from that won't break the bank? Legendary is talking about doing an install on the show, but nothing confirmed yet. I would need a nice condition shifter. I know there's a million of those, but if someone has a decent one I'd talk. Also need a horn button, that little L-shaped chrome trim piece that goes on the back of the quarter a correct radiator and lots of other stuff.  Open for suggestions.  

Give me the times and I can see - I could pic you up in my Daytona (clone-unworthy) :notworthy: Depending on the day and time - I have a basketball camp for kids that I put on in the evenings next week. I'm in Salem - 1 hour away.

Dane

hemi68charger

Sounds pretty cool..............  Hope you're happy with the outcome.. I remember once there was a show like this and the owners wasn't too particularly happy with the outcome. Sounds like you have some input?

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: r4daytona on July 12, 2011, 09:30:45 PM
Thanks for the interest.  Season 1 is suppose to be coming out this fall I believe Mark said on Discovery HD/Velocity.  Not sure when season 2 is coming out. Since he said my car would take 6-8 months to do, I would imagine season 2 being spring/early summer next year. MCG mentioned doing two stories about this, one with Mark and his crew posing around the car and putting that on the cover of MCG.  THAT's something I never thought could happen. Accurate Exhaust is apparently doing an exhaust system for the car in exchange for some promotion.  Just wish I had a motor to hook it up to.  Still have some calls in to other places. There has been some pretty decent interest by some companies to be a part of this and they'd get some good exposure.
Soooo let me ask a silly question.  You have to pay Mark to do it?  What do you get out of this by letting them use your car?  Besides your car on the show etc...
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

472 R/T SE

Has Mark ever tackled a wingcar? 

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 16, 2011, 02:50:26 PM
Quote from: r4daytona on July 12, 2011, 09:30:45 PM
Soooo let me ask a silly question.  You have to pay Mark to do it?  What do you get out of this by letting them use your car?  Besides your car on the show etc...
he told you he is getting exposure and some sponcers have already come forward

RallyeMike

Congrats. Lucky you!

Please update here as I won't be able to catch it on TV.

What is the history on that car? Was it passed down to you through family?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TiMopar

Ok, this is a Daytona that Murry Crowe owned back in 83/84. Same car? Oh, the AAR was red, my mistake.

moparstuart

http://www.facebook.com/graveyardcarz

the daytona has landed

Graveyard Carz will be on the cover of the October 2011 issue of Mopar Collectors Guide. Not sure which photo though. We sent some different ones in today and are waiting to hear back.

r4daytona

Well just got back from a short trip and see the updates.  Thanks guys. Stuart, didn't know they already decided on October for MCG. I'll be talking to Mark tomorrow to see any updates. I'm waiting on a few more sponsors and keeping my fingers crossed!  As far as Mark doing a wing car.. he did have a superbird he did for himself which I realize is different than a Daytona, but I will probably be acquiring Dave Patiks assistance when needed. I'm not really worried about Mark doing a bad job especially since alot (not all) of the mopar community will be watching.  I actually think because of the pressure, he's going to to a tremendous job.   TiMopar -- thanks for the picture, the only way I can know if that was my car is to call him with the VIN number.  It would be cool if that was it!  Thanks for the interest and I'll keep you posted.

r4daytona

It was late when i looked at the photo, but upon further inspection, I don't believe that is the car. Mine is came with a white interior.  If you have his number, I'd still like to talk to him.  Perhaps he had two?

69_500

So do you think it was this car? Just curious.

r4daytona

Holy crap!  Yes that is the car.  The DODGE on the wing gives it away.  If you have any other info ie: who what where and when etc, etc,  please let me know.  PM me if you like.  awesome