News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New rack and pinon from unisteer at sema

Started by cold85, January 12, 2006, 12:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Heres another dumb question about this setup....How is that going to save weight??? The only thing being removed is the steering box,but you just added a whole rack and pinion setup to the mix and to me it looks to be even heavier than the box itself...so you are adding weight.     ???

Mike DC

Those rack & pinions are definitely lighter than the factory steering box. 

The factory PS box is something like 30 pounds (not including the factory steering linkage, which is substantial too).  But a R/P might not be half that.  The gearing hardware is smaller overall and the linkages going out to the spindles are tiny.  Even the outside of the setup is cast aluminum instead of iron.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a thought: 

Is there an off-the-shelp R/P that would work on a Mopar?  With all the modern cars out there now, there are TONS of these things being produced in various sizes.  Seems like there would be something that might fit right. 

And the Unisteer ads say their steering ratio is 17:1 (whereas the factory PS ratio is 16:1).  Which makes me wonder if they might really be selling us an off-the-shelf steering rack with some brackets & hoses added.

dkn1997

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 06, 2006, 02:57:08 PM
Which makes me wonder if they might really be selling us an off-the-shelf steering rack with some brackets & hoses added.

you might have hit it on the head there.  If you can weld, does not seem too hard to make those brackets.  I suppose somebody will at some point just sell the brackets for those that can mount them to a rack and source all the little parts.  sort of like scarebird brakes. they sell you just the bracket and parts list and you get the rest as opposed to ssb  or others who sell you a 600 dollar kit.
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 06, 2006, 10:56:31 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 06, 2006, 02:57:08 PM
Which makes me wonder if they might really be selling us an off-the-shelf steering rack with some brackets & hoses added.

you might have hit it on the head there.  If you can weld, does not seem too hard to make those brackets.  I suppose somebody will at some point just sell the brackets for those that can mount them to a rack and source all the little parts.  sort of like scarebird brakes. they sell you just the bracket and parts list and you get the rest as opposed to ssb  or others who sell you a 600 dollar kit.
:iagree: Just need a little hotrodder ingenuity here & you're set. Not every cool thing needs to be available in a "kit". ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Steve P.

As most of us know pictures lie like hell. Many of us have learned this the hard way. I have looked this unit over and read what is available and my humble opinion is simple.

Yes, it will be lighter than a factory power steering system.
Yes, the ratio will make it feel better.
Yes, it will be cool to be able to say, my 60's muscle car has rack and pinion steering..

HOWEVER,,,, until they put the rack in front of the "K" member and get rid of any and all clutter that causes problems with oil pans, headers, starters, frame strength and ground clearance for all of the formentioned, I think this is just smoke and pretty paint...

Mopar did a pretty damn good job of building this front end. It has lasted many years without much hassle. I personally don't like the "AFT" steering design. I understand why they did it, but it takes away from having a large low profile oil pan. I grew up dodging the pot-holes of upstate New York. Skinny little 14" tires were little help for your K's and controll arms..... :flame:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

so this was one of the abandoned projects?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Steve P.

I just found it on their site. Says they are PROUD TO ANNOUNCE the b body r/p, but they have NO PIC.  I guess they aren't THAT proud!!   :rotz:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

RECHRGED