News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just don't get the nerve of some people.....

Started by 69bronzeT5, July 12, 2011, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Quote from: G-man on July 13, 2011, 05:57:41 AM
At the end of the day the REAL winner is the guy that can go home knowing "MY car is a REAL HEMI car" + hes the guy with a car worth a hell of a lot more than the clone aswell.

Screw judging. Its based on a bunch of biased opinions anyway. I just go to shows to see the cool cars and then go home. In all honesty, even a car that needs a restor being a factory hemi car wins in my view in 'reality'. O well.

When I get my ford GT40 I wont have to give a rats about who wins what, bring it to the track or drag strip and we sort it out there.  :icon_smile_big:

You should buy that Ford GT40 real soon and move on.

Charger-Bodie

At the end of the day the REAL winner is the guy that can go home knowing "MY car is a REAL HEMI car" + hes the guy with a car worth a hell of a lot more than the clone aswell.

Screw judging. Its based on a bunch of biased opinions anyway. I just go to shows to see the cool cars and then go home. In all honesty, even a car that needs a restor being a factory hemi car wins in my view in 'reality'. O well.

When I get my ford GT40 I wont have to give a rats about who wins what, bring it to the track or drag strip and we sort it out there.  :icon_smile_big:

Who gives a crap what its worth! This hobby used to be about cars. I was mopar when Mopar wasnt cool. I loved Chargers when everyone else said it would be cooler if it were a Chevelle......There is nothing wrong with a properly done clone that is not being passed off as original!! Some people dont have piles of money to decide wether they should stick 150k into a Charger or A Porsche! OR GT 40!!  I happen to have a Hemi clone Daytona clone and I have as much or more fun in it than I would if it were "REAL" BOO!!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

I agree that if there was a modified class then it should have gone into that because the car does not appear close to stock.  Now the AACA (antique auto club of america) club that I belong to judges cars as how they could have left the factory so IF an optional engine for that year, make, and model car was installed even though it could be an original /6 car, as long as it is done up correctly like it could have left the assembly line with the hemi, it would not get any points deducted.  Just like my charger.  My car was born with F8 green paint, green vinyl top, and tan interior.  When I got the car back in 2000, the body was repainted the R4 bright red and had a white top and black and white interior in it.  All of those color combinations were available as options for my car back in 1969 so therefor, it COULD have left the factory that way therefor, I would not loose points.

Now, if I were to go the SEM or OE judging at Nats or ICCA judging, I would probably be blown out of the water with the crappy score I would have received since my car is not a numbers matching car, nor factory applied color scheme.  Is my car as it EXACTLY left the factory, no!  Does it represent how the car COULD have left the factory? Yes (with a few minor details)  Do I represent it as a numbers matching car or as a clone?  No.  But I do drive the hell out of it and love banging through those manual gears! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

elitecustombody

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gtx6970

Depends on the class breakdown. Unless  stated that it must be a real hemi car . then all bets are off.
And if thats the case,, the vin is irrelevant

When judging cars ,, the judge has be be blind to the vin, color +/ or options it has and judge soley on condition.

And btw, I feel clones certaintly have there place in the hobby. As they allow individuallity and something unique to each and every owner. Although not my cup of tea. I do like them( most of them anyway)

Troy

Ok, so if the "clone" has to go to the modified class then so should the real Hemi car if it isn't perfectly stock. Right? I'm not sure how anyone takes these things seriously. Most cars in "stock" classes are far from stock. Half the cars in "modified" classes only have after market wheels and headers. If you aren't specific then people will enter in whatever class they think they belong in. At Carlisle there was a 69 Charger in the "68-70 B-body Modified" class because they thought their car had to be totally stock to enter the "69 Charger Stock" class (with all the other modified 69 Chargers). If the judges don't correct an improperly registered car then that's all on the show itself. The owner doesn't deserve public ridicule - and he shouldn't have to lower himself to the same level if it does happen.

As for the clone haters... make sure you're without fault before insulting someone else...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Everyone will always have a difference of opinion, thus is why the circle continues to go round and round. Just as it has in the past, and as it will continue into the future.

:hah:
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 13, 2011, 07:20:43 AMI was Mopar when Mopar wasn't cool.
:smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargermike on July 13, 2011, 06:43:31 AM
...the car is real nice. just cause it came with a hemi factory or put in later who the hell cares. its a hemi car. you factory guys crack me up. ...

I agree to a certain point. Restoring a car, whether it be a 318 or a 426 Hemi can cost pretty much the same (barring of course both cars have everything and there's no need to track down special parts and such). But, with that being said, there's the whole pre-restoration phase as well. It's a hell of a lot harder to have the patience, luck or whatever you wanna call it to just get your hands on a factory high-pedigree car to begin with. So, there is something to be said about an original versus non-original. Now, where it goes after that is a different story....

Personally, I've been doing this carshow gig for 30 years now and you WILL NEVER satisfy everyone. Believe me, I've heard all the whining & complaining. Heck, when I was 18 with my 1st '68 Charger, I did the same thing.  Now, whenever I go to a show, I respect their classes. I may not agree, but it's not my show. Heck, in the nearly two years and countless shows I've gone to, my Daytona has only taken home 2 trophies. WooHooo !!!!  :rofl:

Whenever, in the past, I've put on a show, we had separate classes for original versus modified. Some clubs define modified differently than others and so be it. This goes hand-n-hand with cars that are survivors. Survivors, for the most part, are never in as good of shape as restored cars, but we all know the value, uniquiness and rarity of these whether it be a 318 or 440 six pack car. For the most part, people who put on carshows learn from one show to the next what their local area needs or reflects and hopefully, with time, more and more people are happy. But, you can't make a class for everyone.... Some of the best shows are the non-trophy versions (sort of like The Charger Registry gatherings).

So, lessen one's stress level......... NEVER go to a show with any expectation of coming home with anything other than a nice day with cars, friends, and if you have a camera, pictures to reflect on.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

six-tee-nine

Alot of the reactions here prove that the whining guys on that car show are everywhere......

I find it sad that there are guys that can appreciate an unrestored beat up car that is a real hemi and dissaprove someone elses hard work on a top resto job that is a clone car.
I'd say that a for instance a 69 R/T charger that is a Hemi clone and is restored the right way (whatever way that may be) wont be recognized as a clone by alot of guys that cant decode a fender tag by loooking at it. But if the owner is honest to tell everyone its a clone the all of a sudden he's a fraud......
I dont see the bad thing of it.... building hot rods out of a 30's coupe is ok to most guys but putting a Hemi in a not original Hemi car is not? Huh if I want to put a Hemy in MY car then thats MY decision and if the judge of a car show thinks i have the nicest car then thats not my fault.

As a side note : I really dont get what the f*ck that stupid ford GT40 comment is doing here I'm getting really f***ing tired of this dudes moaning....

Jeeez used fuck twice in one scentence, I needed to vent on this subject since I'm a bad cloner to.
Final thing, lets call them tribute cars instead of clones
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

elitecustombody

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Troy

I once thought all "show cars" were actually "show cars" - ie perfect paint jobs and interiors with lots of chrome in the engine bay and an owner with a crate full of detail products. I'd never enter my cars because they weren't nice enough. Most awards at local shows have names like "Best Paint", "Best Engine", "Coolest Display", etc. and I've never seen a class called "Best Factory Screwups" or "Thickest Undercoating". However, I did win a "Dirtiest Car" award once....

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

They have a "daily driver" Cat. which allows for some "patina" but i too have consistently found over and over it still a popularity contest for the car club entrants.  :shruggy: What ya gonna do?.. I thought Cody was pissed he didn't win Young Gun,.. again... :lol:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 13, 2011, 04:52:09 PM
They have a "daily driver" Cat. which allows for some "patina" but i too have consistently found over and over it still a popularity contest for the car club entrants.  :shruggy: What ya gonna do?.. I thought Cody was pissed he didn't win Young Gun,.. again... :lol:

Defintley not pissed....just a little disappointed considering how much work I did but theres always next year  :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

G-man

Quote from: Back N Black on July 13, 2011, 07:05:42 AM

When I get my ford GT40 I wont have to give a rats about who wins what, bring it to the track or drag strip and we sort it out there.  :icon_smile_big:

You should buy that Ford GT40 real soon and move on.

It would be nice if I could get it REAL soon but $170,000 dont come just like that unfortunatelly. Have to be patient to get the ultimate driving car. Till then, ima enjoy the 1968 Boat.

Btw- I dont understand the whole concept behind clones. If its not original, why waste the money to build a clone when you could have built something more fun to drive like a 528 hemi car, or some sort of custom work where its your own thing. A clone is neither your own thing nor is it original, its no mans land.

Brock Samson

A383Wing

Quote from: G-man on July 13, 2011, 07:30:01 PM
A clone is neither your own thing nor is it original, its no mans land.

kinda like your opinions here...

RallyeMike

QuoteBtw- I dont understand the whole concept behind clones. If its not original, why waste the money to build a clone when you could have built something more fun to drive like a 528 hemi car, or some sort of custom work where its your own thing. A clone is neither your own thing nor is it original, its no mans land.

Always wanted a purple 71 Cuda ragtop hemi car? Good luck finding one! So build a clone. Is it really too hard to understand that it's possible to build your exact dream car, and that someone might want to do this?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Belgium R/T -68

QuoteYou should buy that Ford GT40 real soon and move on.

It would be nice if I could get it REAL soon but $170,000 dont come just like that unfortunatelly. Have to be patient to get the ultimate driving car. Till then, ima enjoy the 1968 Boat.

Btw- I dont understand the whole concept behind clones. If its not original, why waste the money to build a clone when you could have built something more fun to drive like a 528 hemi car, or some sort of custom work where its your own thing. A clone is neither your own thing nor is it original, its no mans land.

I think you have got yourself locked about clones because of this Hemicar, hell I would say maybe 50% of all musclecars driving around are clones because they don't have the matching engine but you don't seem to rant about those ones.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

67440chrg

I think if any one is at fault it would be the ones putting on the show. They should set standards for classes. On the 4Th I was asked if my car was to be put in a stock class. It has a black hood ,hood pins, 5" tall 6 pack scoop you can see the breather sticking through the hood and 28" drag radials. How can that be stock for a 1st Gen?

six-tee-nine

Dude if you put a 528 Hemi with a pair of stage five heads on top with dual carb setup along with a factory correct air cleaner you can hardly notice the difference between that and a stock 426 unit. Then put the Hemi badges on the doors and you have the evil clone you are talking about.
I dont get your point, if you build a clone exactly the way it came from the factory then the car is as original as the ones leaving the factory. Most people are honest enough to tell everyone they have built a tribute car (I start to hate the word clone more and more so i'll use the better word instead).

I think its just sad  that some guys cant spit out a nice word about a car when they know its a clone car. Are these same guys bitchin on everyone that replaces their 383 with a 440?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

myaerocars

In 1992 my Superbird clone was classed in the "winged car" class with 2 other real cars.. I placed 2nd.  Yes, I was surprised...both that I was put in the class by the judges and that I even placed.  I kinda felt bad for the real winged car owner but his car was kinda rusty and had not been restored yet. The  people mostly looked at the fresh, shiney paint on mine and picked it.  :shruggy:

2 years later when  I entered that show, I was placed into " B Body modified " by the judges with the heavy mod cars ( which mine is) and placed 3rd. These were both peoples choice shows  - big diffference  of couse....  but the car was assigned a class by the organizers. 

I just go with what the organizers tell me when I get there.  Now I just go  to very small cruise ins and charity shows. :2thumbs: I take my daughter and give here the digital camera and let her shoot whatever she wants.

Godspeed,
JON

mikepmcs

Cody,
Don't ever let me see you use the word "gorgeous" again.
Man card, hand it over.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

G-man

Quote from: six-tee-nine on July 15, 2011, 03:04:03 PM

Dude if you put a 528 Hemi with a pair of stage five heads on top with dual carb setup along with a factory correct air cleaner you can hardly notice the difference between that and a stock 426 unit. Then put the Hemi badges on the doors and you have the evil clone you are talking about.
I dont get your point, if you build a clone exactly the way it came from the factory then the car is as original as the ones leaving the factory. Most people are honest enough to tell everyone they have built a tribute car (I start to hate the word clone more and more so i'll use the better word instead).

I think its just sad  that some guys cant spit out a nice word about a car when they know its a clone car. Are these same guys bitchin on everyone that replaces their 383 with a 440?

I understand that... and no Im not saying the build of that clone sucks, its trully a beautiful car, beautiful colour to as its my favourite colour on that car etc. Awesome work.

Yes the 528 might not look much different but at least its your own thing... alloy radiator and few other bits that arnt stock and u built ur own thing.

Why go through the touble of building a perfect matching clone, putting heavy iron radiators etc in to keep it "original" when it AINT original, its a clone... u mayswell of put the better brakes on the better radiator in the better coil in etc since ur spending huge $$$ to build the car anyway. I dont mind if u go 426Hemi, I dont mind if u got a 383 and u go 440, but since ur already dong that, u mayswell put the better radiator etc in rather than spending the money to go 100% original when ITS NOT original... thats what I dont get.

dkn1997

the world would be a better place if one simple rule was followed:  Treat another mans car like you would his wife:   Don't make derogatory comments about it, don't lean on it, and don't "drive" it unless he transfers ownership to you.
RECHRGED