News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Work Question

Started by Drache, July 20, 2011, 12:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

You've been with the company for a few years and find out you're next in line for a promotion which doesn't mean a whole lot more money but it's the stepping stone right before becoming someone with major command authority. But the company is run by dipshits. Work is 5 days on 2 days off normally unless a contract comes in that changes that.

But you've recently been given the option to apply for another company. This company will pay you over twice your current yearly salary. You work 20 days on and 10 days off normally unless a contract comes up that changes that. The kicker is generally this job will only last for a max of two years. This job is also high stress and most don't even make the two year mark.

Now do you leave a job that could become a "career" to work someplace else for two years but make the same amount of money in those two years than you would for about 4 years in the "career" type job? In my "younger" years I'd probably jump at the chance for more money but Im at the age where I'm starting to look at the long term picture.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

sanders7981

Go for the money!!! You can always find something else to do afterwards!  I don't believe there are really any "High-Stress" jobs.... it's all what you make it.  :Twocents:

tan top

if you don't need the extra money !! don't do it !  stay in the job what you like doing best !! :yesnod:  your a long time at work  , dont get caught up in chasing big wages & get into a job where your not happy ,  stress agro  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

Like the donkey following the carrot on the end of a stick be careful on ether option. No matter what you pick or do always be looking for a better job/position.
  In today's market loyalty or time served means nothing to management. They will replace you as soon as they can with someone cheaper. Most likely that's the openings you see now.
  Get yourself educated some how some way in what appeals to you most, paths will open to you if you do! Best of luck no matter what you decide!   :2thumbs:

BananaDan

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 20, 2011, 12:20:48 AM
Go for the money!!! You can always find something else to do afterwards!  I don't believe there are really any "High-Stress" jobs.... it's all what you make it.  :Twocents:

I agree, I would take the higher paying job and 1.5 years in, start looking for the next one. My answer is also because you say you work for idiots, which I personally can't tolerate. More money to leave idiots is a no brainier for me. In the 2 years on this higher paying job, since its known to not be long term, I would live on the same means and save/bank all of the extra money. When you secure the next job after 2 years, you'll have a nice chunk of change stashed away.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Domino

Make hay while the sun shines and use the pay stub to negotiate your next salary.

69 OUR/TEA

Take the new job,since it pays you twice the salary you get now,when its over in two years ,take off two years ,then it all works out to be the same!!!!

ITSA426

It doesn't sound like you really enjoy your present job so I'd guess it's a wash.  Don't confuse money with prosperity.  Maybe you should consider a different career field altogether and blow off both jobs for something you're passionate about. 

sanders7981

I still say go for it.  If your not happy with your current poisition and leadership, make a change.  Hanging around just to stick it out is not worth it unless your in the military.  I am at 12 years, and would never dream of leaving to sacrifice the pension I will recieve when I can retire at 20 years.  There have been plenty of oppurtunities presented to me where I could make 6+ figures a year doing similar work, but in my mind, I can't justify working as a contractor with the wars coming to an end and only 8 more years to put in.  At my present rank, and assumption of the precentage of VA disibilty pay I may get, I should get about $3000 a month in retirement pay.  With your current disposition, being dissatisfied with work and all, this other oppurtunity may not be aournd for long and may not present itself again.  I owuld weigh out the pros and cons then make a clear, un-biased, decision.   :cheers:

Troy

Why stay at a crappy job with crappy pay? You will find that most places have poor management so you might as well make more money. There's an axiom that says something along the lines of "people get promoted to one level past their competency". That's why there are so few CEOs and so many (really bad) mid-level managers. It's also why management usually gets fired more often than the guys in the trenches. As far as length of employment, nothing is guaranteed and, even in a stable job, you could easily find yourself unemployed. Take the opportunities you're given in life and always strive for advancement. Too many people sit back and slog along because it's "comfortable".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

twodko

Planning for the long term is always wise. Job security with marginal pay and suffering mid level morons vs twice the money, high stress (and there are MANY high stress jobs despite how one deals with it) and a short term. I see clear advantages to both. I don't know where you live but here in NorCal, if you have a job you're way ahead of many, many others. Around here you don't leave a job you have...........you'll end up a 99 weeker. A decision to make for sure but is the prospect of greener grass over the fence valid? I dunno but I wish you the best whatever your choice.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

RallyeMike

QuoteTake the new job,since it pays you twice the salary you get now,when its over in two years ,take off two years ,then it all works out to be the same!!!!

:2thumbs:

_ or -

You can look at it as having a 2 year period to find another job and still be even on total salary.

Do it!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ponch ®

to quote the great Yogi Berra:

"when you arrive at a fork in the road....take it!"
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

PA Dodger

Is the job all about the money? Are there any benefits you stand to gain or lose? The idea of taking the big dollar job then look for another job afterwards could haunt you if you don't have health care if you end up unemployed for a while.
Is the job further away? It doesn't take too many extra miles when gas is $4.00 a gallon to make the job not so appealing.
If you stick it out at the present job you will soon be able to put "manager" or something similar on your resume. Then you can shop around and look more appealing to future employers.
If you take the new job offer will you be pricing yourself out of the job market in the future? If your local job market is paying $60000/year for an accountant and you made $85000 last year there won't be too many employers knocking on your door. ( Accountant is an example. I don't know what line of work you're in.)
FWIW, I've worked for a number of companies over the years. Not many are "dipshit-free". 
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Drache

Quote from: PA Dodger on July 20, 2011, 10:13:53 PM
Is the job all about the money? Are there any benefits you stand to gain or lose?

No benefits on either job in this line of work  :icon_smile_big:

Is the job further away? It doesn't take too many extra miles when gas is $4.00 a gallon to make the job not so appealing.

I live in Canada, work is around the world, and all expenses is covered.

If you stick it out at the present job you will soon be able to put "manager" or something similar on your resume. Then you can shop around and look more appealing to future employers.

That's sort of what I was thinking and the only real reason to keep this job. But this might take another year or two.

If you take the new job offer will you be pricing yourself out of the job market in the future? If your local job market is paying $60000/year for an accountant and you made $85000 last year there won't be too many employers knocking on your door. ( Accountant is an example. I don't know what line of work you're in.)

Im actually being paid slightly below the industry standards at the moment. So getting paid double is slightly above industry standards.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Kern Dog

There are a few ways to look at this. Working a job that you hate makes you miserable longer than just during the working hours. A friend, when faced with this same scenario, said, "Well, at least you'd be paid well to be miserable."
I can't bring myself to work a job that I hate no matter the pay. My level of tolerance just isn't that high.

RallyeMike

QuoteIm actually being paid slightly below the industry standards at the moment. So getting paid double is slightly above industry standards.

Perhaps my math skills are not on par with Steven Hawking, but I have no idea how you can be "slightly below", double it, and be "slightly above".

Anyhow, good luck with your decision. First gut instinct is usually the right call.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Drache

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 20, 2011, 11:48:32 PM
QuoteIm actually being paid slightly below the industry standards at the moment. So getting paid double is slightly above industry standards.

Perhaps my math skills are not on par with Steven Hawking, but I have no idea how you can be "slightly below", double it, and be "slightly above".

I'll actually be making 2.5x my current.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TK73

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 20, 2011, 11:48:32 PM

Anyhow, good luck with your decision. First gut instinct is usually the right call.

Some sort of Canadian "exchange" rate calculation...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

How old are you? IIRC you have no wife/kids, right? While this other job might be a quick/temporary way to make some cash (which is not a bad thing) I would start focusing on some long term career plans asap. Don't get yourself wrapped up in some "hobo" situation unless jumping around from place to place busting your hump 80 hours a week for half a year and then starving the other half is your idea of fun.

I would take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Inventory and find out what you would really like to do and focus on that before you get married and wind up with some "golden handcuffs" job you hate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_Interest_Inventory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Drache

Quote from: bull on July 21, 2011, 05:29:56 PM
How old are you? IIRC you have no wife/kids, right? While this other job might be a quick/temporary way to make some cash (which is not a bad thing) I would start focusing on some long term career plans asap. Don't get yourself wrapped up in some "hobo" situation unless jumping around from place to place busting your hump 80 hours a week for half a year and then starving the other half is your idea of fun.

The field I'm in now is one I like so there is no big problem there. The company I'm with now I could stay with but currently I'm not making the amount of money that I would like. I could try and take a gamble on advancement in the company but that might take a year or two of making the same amount of money.

I've applied for the other company and I'm just awaiting to hear back from them to see what they say.

I did talk to them and I can keep the job as long as I like for as long as I can stand it (I misunderstood about the 2 year part). As long as I stay in Canada I get to go home once a month for about a week.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TeeWJay426

Be careful what you wish for... I was making a good salary, with a company for 12 years for the second time (was with them for 10 years years the first time), and figured I'd finish my career with them and retire in another 10 years or so. Then I got blindsided with a layoff in April. I guess my point would be that there is no employer loyalty anymore.... you might think you're set for a 'career' with the job you have now, but don't count on it. Do what benefits YOU the most, but don't think long term, because in most cases, your employer isn't. I'd go for the money now, if I were you... especially being single.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed