News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Man Builds His Own Bugatti Veyron

Started by Old Moparz, July 16, 2011, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteFrom what I found the Veyron has done Nurburgring in 7:40, Corvette ZR-1 7:26, Murcielago LP640 7:40.

QuoteLook at topgear... The Veyron was pretty quick, slower than much weaker cars though, the only reason it had a decent track time was all that Horsepower and all that braking which tries to compensate for the stupid weight. Any other supercar with Veyron power would have the same top end speed and would lap the veyron around a track a few times.

This is what I was getting at.  The Veyron is unbeatable on paper and very beatable in the real world. 

As a design experiment it's an interesting achievement.  But as a fully upholstered & air conditioned production car costing 1-2 million dollars . . . it has about as much purpose as a woman's luxury $15,000 handbag.

DC_1

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 19, 2011, 01:44:04 AM

As a design experiment it's an interesting achievement.  But as a fully upholstered & air conditioned production car costing 1-2 million dollars . . . it has about as much purpose as a woman's luxury $15,000 handbag.

Exactly. It stands to reason that a guy that buys a Veyron is probably married to a broad that buys those handbags.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

KS71owner

The Veyron is sick fast, but also burns fuel at a ridiculous rate. At top speed you'll run out of gas in 12 minutes.

Ponch ®

Quote from: KS71owner on July 21, 2011, 04:16:24 PM
The Veyron is sick fast, but also burns fuel at a ridiculous rate. At top speed you'll run out of gas in 12 minutes.

more fun Veyron factoids:

* According to Bugatti, the average Veyron Grand Sport owner already owns about 30 cars.
    * The engine is hand-assembled by two technicians in Germany and makes a minimum of 987 horsepower, even at high altitude or in high temperatures. In perfect conditions its output is closer to 1050 horses.
    * With 12 radiators required to cool that monstrous engine and the other systems, the Veyron carries 26 gallons in fluids, excluding fuel.
    * The Veyron might do 253 mph, but it can't cover 253 miles in an hour because at that speed its 26-gallon tank will run dry after about 50 miles.
    * The tires need to be replaced every 16,000 kms and the wheels every 48,000 kms. That costs around $73,000 USD.- The seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox costs $172,000 USD should you need to replace it.
    * The front grilles are made of titanium to withstand bird strikes at 253 mph.
    * The ultra-lightweight titanium bolts used to secure major components cost $85 each, and are thrown away if they are tightened or have to be removed for any reason.
    * For its 60,000-mile service, the Veyron must be split in half. The work can be carried out in just five locations, or a mobile workshop can be flown to your car. No Veyron has yet done more than about 30,000 miles.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

:hah: Bugatti? Booooo! It's a friggin' VW! :rotz: If you've got money to burn and you want to go really, really fast, I say buy American. Real men break speed records with American V8s.

Saleen or SSC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleen_S7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_SuperCars