News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock intake Performer series hood clearance

Started by dodgedarren, July 22, 2011, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I have Edelbrock performer series intake with matching 750 cfm carb on a dodge 440 68 charger I'm a bit nervous
that I wont be able to close my hood properly because I may have clearance issiues.
Anyone running the same set up?

Charger_Dart

I think it would depend on what air cleaner you are trying to use. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a Holley and I had to use a drop base bottom air cleaner to go with my stock air cleaner top. It gained me the needed 1" so everything fit.
Mike
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

dodgedarren

Hey Charger_Dart,

Where do I find a drop base and with my electronic choke be a issue?

Mick70RR

Darren, you will need a banjo type fuel fitting if you use a drop base air cleaner on that Eddy carb.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8089/10002/-1
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Chryco Psycho

If your are running the Performer intake I doubt you would have any hood clearance issues but I would replace the intake the factory iron intake is a better performer seriously .
If you are running the RPM it is a good intake & yes you will need the drop base AC

Budnicks

Quote from: dodgedarren on July 22, 2011, 03:15:04 PM

I have Edelbrock performer series intake with matching 750 cfm carb on a dodge 440 68 charger I'm a bit nervous
that I wont be able to close my hood properly because I may have clearance issiues.
Anyone running the same set up?
Unless it's a Performer RPM which is quite a bit taller, you can use a drop base air cleaner & K&N air cleaner element for much better flow, you shouldn't have any issues if it's just a regular Performer intake, you can always go to the drop base air cleaner  & a banjo type fuel inlet fitting on the Eddy carb to clear the base of the air cleaner...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Paul G

Want a little tip? Get a can of Silly Putty or Play Doh, set some of it around the top of the air cleaner and slowly close the hood. Open it and look at how much the Silly Putty or Play Doh flattened out. You can then tell how much room you have between the air cleaner lid and the hood. Keep in mind the engine does move around a little bit. Engine movement is directly related to the distance between the floor board and the bottom of your left foot.   ;)
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

dkn1997

I run the RPM on my 68 with a demon carb and had to use a ford motorsports drop base for my stock unsilenced air cleaner.. reason being that the ford is one of the few out there that is the oddball 13" diameter and has the right drop. 

I doubt you will run into an issue with the performer as it's not radically differenct from the stock one.
another choice if you want a better intake and hood clearance is the holley street dominator.  it's a single plane but almost all accounts I have read, it really doesn't give up much torque at low/mid range and it's a little better up top than the RPM. 

1st pic shows the drop and 2nd shows the stock 68 unsilenced base next to the drop base to give you an idea of how low you gotta go lol

RECHRGED

dodgedarren

I do have a Performer RPM intake. Where did you find you drop pan?

nrt69

Budnicks

I believe Moroso still sells the chrome drop base air cleaner, with a chrome top & Maybe also K&N Extreme top & filter or of that style of filter at least to help it breath with a thinner filter element
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

FLG

IMO a K&N filter top is best to go with the drop base, if the metal top sits to close to the carb you could run into issues getting enough air.

Charger_Dart

Quote from: dodgedarren on July 28, 2011, 05:26:48 PM

I installed a Ford Racing one I picked up someplace. I did find that it fits nicely on a Holley, but needed a little dimple for the Edelbrock carb. fuel inlet. 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

dodgedarren

OK, so I have the 13" Ford 2" drop base and I still do not have enough hood clearance.
Im using a 3" air filter and just to remind its going on top of RPM Edelbrock intake and holly 750 carb.
Any suggestions???

Paul G

Find a shorter air filter. Figure out how much more room you need. I took my old air filter to O'reily's and started pulling air filters out of the box till I found one that fit my needs. (I put the rest back)
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

dodgedarren

I found a 2 1/2 tall filter but im concerned about air restriction??

FLG

dkn1997

Quote from: dodgedarren on July 28, 2011, 05:26:48 PM

Ford Motorsports 13" drop base air cleaner.  Just toss the "ford" top in the garbage after wiping your ass with it lol
RECHRGED

mauve66

Quote from: Paul G on August 11, 2011, 04:28:14 PM
Find a shorter air filter. Figure out how much more room you need. I took my old air filter to O'reily's and started pulling air filters out of the box till I found one that fit my needs. (I put the rest back)

very polite of you  :cheers:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak